Preview 2017: how do we bounce back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night was interesting with Rough and Boyd jumping over the top of our genuine rucks we could look at this model going forward.
The game was tough to get a read on, Gibbo is carrying a shoulder injury and has lost confidence in taking the game on which makes the dropping of Brand perplexing.
Next year we need to back our kids in, notably JOR and also get Shiels to hunt the footy more. We get Rough back, Jaeger and Tom Mitch in and we will be back.
B: Doc Frawley Stratton
HB: Hodge Brand Howe
C: Smith T.Mitchell Jaeger
HF: Bruest Gunston Cyril
F: Poppy Rough Vickery
R: Pittonet JOR S.Mitchell
I: Burton Lovell Burgoyne Shiels

Gibbo, Birchall, Burgoyne, Hodge, Lewis and Sam will be managed through the year. One or more may yet pull the pin under these circumstances. Resigned to losing Sicily, McEvoy and Hartung.

Last night was interesting with Rough and Boyd jumping over the top of our genuine rucks we could look at this model going forward.
The game was tough to get a read on, Gibbo is carrying a shoulder injury and has lost confidence in taking the game on which makes the dropping of Brand perplexing.
Next year we need to back our kids in, notably JOR and also get Shiels to hunt the footy more. We get Rough back, Jaeger and Tom Mitch in and we will be back.
B: Doc Frawley Stratton
HB: Hodge Brand Howe
C: Smith T.Mitchell Jaeger
HF: Bruest Gunston Cyril
F: Poppy Rough Vickery
R: Pittonet JOR S.Mitchell
I: Burton Lovell Burgoyne Shiels

Gibbo, Birchall, Burgoyne, Hodge, Lewis and Sam will be managed through the year. One or more may yet pull the pin under these circumstances. Resigned to losing Sicily, McEvoy and Hartung.
Why big boy ?

Why big boy ?
Just looks like he has dropped off and is unsigned at present, I'd actually like to see Brand get some minutes in the ruck similar to the Jordan Roughead and Jackson Trengrove types. I just can't see how we persist with two slow genuine rucks. Another preseason into Pitonet may see him arrive.

You guys are dreaming if you think the knees of JOM and Morabito will provide any assistance in the future...prepare for the fall!!!

With some precision recruiting/trading we will make the finals next year.
2 years of precision recruiting and we could be going for more silverware

You guys are dreaming if you think the knees of JOM and Morabito will provide any assistance in the future...prepare for the fall!!!

And the hell are you? Trot off back to the minnows board

I'm pretty optimistic about 2017

Burton has a full year
Whitecross has a full year
O'Meara has a full year
Mitchell has a full year
Shoenmakers has a full year CHF
O'Brian has a full year FF
Brand has a full year at CHB

That's 7 players that will be regulars and make a massive impact to our chances. We are in the middle of a mini rebuild!

Add to that full preseasons (and a proper holiday) for the veterens, then I reckon we spring back!

Chins ups! We need a rest from all these exhausting grand finals! The veterns get one last massive crack at in 2017!

Just to add an extension to my list of positives:

O'Rourke - get a full preseason in him. May play well.
Litherland - I like him. May come good and show what he promised early.
Sicily - massive upside. Will improve heaps.
Vickery - role player. Contest and perhoas mark. Ruck. Snag one or two goals a game.

Heads up fans. We will get a nice snoozy rest this offseason and be cherry ripe 2017 :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I absolutely want to keep Breust but if he's not signed beyond next year I'd be prepared to trade him rather than lose him for bugger all under free trade.

Other than his size, I don't see what others do with Brand. He certainly hasn't caught my eye as a definite keeper. I like Hartung and he seems to have the drive to improve. It will be interesting to see how he goes without Hill next year. I don't quite get the love for Howe but I'm prepared to be patient. I've liked Sicily in patches but unless he gets a clear run at the ball he seems out of the game. Despite his talent, I'd be prepared to trade him if he can't be more than a one-trick pony.

Burton is my big hope for next year. He's by far the best prospect I can recall for us, bar Cyril. Burton's poise, decision-making and disposal look fantastic.

As for Birchall, I've been a big fan of his, and still am, but if a club came with an offer too good to refuse I wouldn't begrudge him taking up and offer (as per Campbell Brown).

Of course, I have no idea what the club have planned, but I have faith they'll be honest with players and pull the right moves.

Same amount of uncontested possessions as the year prior when no-one was inexplicably calling for his head. Again - prior to Stratton going down our defence was utterly vital to us being on top of the ladder. Birchall was a huge part of that. Up until the Melbourne game we were conceding less points per game than last year despite our midfield leaking more than a colander. The spotlight has come on Birchall because he played one poor and one below average final. He's far from cooked. Take him out of our side next year and we'll regret it pretty quickly.

Doc makes more fundamental errors down back but I don't see the wolves coming for him.

Does it count if I have been calling Doc out all year with no support?

I though Duryea was putrid a few times this year but I like him because he has that dose of mongrel that we still need plenty of. Didn't watch him closely enough to really have a firm view either way... leave that stuff to the club!

Breust is a fascinating one. Here's an example of a genuine, proven, triple premiership small-medium forward who can be deadly round goal, rotate mid, kick goals from his banus. Why would we trade him?

Yet... this wasn't his best year, and he would absolutely be a genuine Class A trading chip that other clubs would salivate over. Could we afford to trade him?

For me it's a very painful yes, but only if it landed us a midfield beast. Seems to me that if we don't fix the mid it's irrelevant what we have up front.

And at the moment we've got Rough, Breust, Vickery, Gunston, Rioli, Puopolo, Sicily, Breust, Scho, TOB, rotating ruck...

All of that said, I'm praying the club could get it done by other means.

Last edited:
Breust is a fascinating one. Here's an example of a genuine, proven, triple premiership small-medium forward who can be deadly round goal, rotate mid, kick goals from his banus. Why would we trade him?

Yet... this wasn't his best year, and he would absolutely be a genuine Class A trading chip that other clubs would salivate over. Could we afford to trade him?

For me it's a very painful yes, but only if it landed us a midfield beast. Seems to me that if we don't fix the mid it's irrelevant what we have up front.

And at the moment we've got Rough, Breust, Vickery, Gunston, Rioli, Puopolo, Sicily, Breust, Scho, TOB, rotating ruck...

All of that said, I'm praying the club could get it done by other means.

The reason Bruest and even the likes of Gunston had a hard year is because having no real KPF with Roughy out means they are now getting the attention of the best defenders. Put Rough in that forward 50 and he will be the focal worry of the opposition which is why in previous years our medium and small forwards have run riot. This year they had to cover all tasks.

It staggers me that people are suggesting to get rid of Bruest. Even the idea of getting rid of Sicily is somewhat bemusing.

you're taking this out of context, no-one WANTS to get rid of these players, they WANT to trade a player of worth to get a player of worth into our under performing midfield......

you're taking this out of context, no-one WANTS to get rid of these players, they WANT to trade a player of worth to get a player of worth into our under performing midfield......

True. Considering we have similar young players to develop. No one wants Bruest to leave, but we don't have a shortage of small to medium forwards (Sicily, Hardwick, Stewart, etc.).

True. Considering we have similar young players to develop. No one wants Bruest to leave, but we don't have a shortage of small to medium forwards (Sicily, Hardwick, Stewart, etc.).
None of them are anywhere near as good as Bruest. This guy has kicked 40+goals for us the last 4 years as a med/small forward. That is a fantastic effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back