Strategy 2017 || Let's construct our best 22 || Part 2: Defensive 6

Our best defensive unit of six?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll have 10 positions available after this. All of the players below have genuine claims to being best 22 IMO.

1. Hogan
2. Salem
3. Watts
4. Petracca
5. Brayshaw
6. Stretch
7. Melksham
8. Pedersen
9. vandenBerg
10. Vince
11. Weideman
12. Bugg
13. Kennedy
14. Garlett
15. Wagner
16. Harmes
The bench is going to be nigh on impossible ...

B: Jetta - McDonald - McDonald
HB: Hunt - Frost - Hibberd

I agree with all except I would swap Hibberd for Melksham. Reason being, after watching and listening to Milkshake at the training camp on the Sunnycoast I saw clean disposal, good work ethic and fantastic communication from him. I never played at an elite level so maybe it's different at AFL level but having a "general" down back rallying the troops is worth a lot. I saw this in The Milkybar kid on Saturday

* my two cents anyway :)

B: Jetta - McDonald - McDonald
HB: Hunt - Frost - Hibberd

I agree with all except I would swap Hibberd for Melksham. Reason being, after watching and listening to Milkshake at the training camp on the Sunnycoast I saw clean disposal, good work ethic and fantastic communication from him. I never played at an elite level so maybe it's different at AFL level but having a "general" down back rallying the troops is worth a lot. I saw this in The Milkybar kid on Saturday

* my two cents anyway :)

That's a fair call but Hibberd has far better exposed form at AFL level than Melksham. I'm not ruling it out because Omac got a go over Dunn in 2016 but personally doubt it.

Was gonna Vote Hogan for fullback, not very impressed...
But the McDonald's bro's, Frost, Jetta, Hunt and Harmes does it for me

Not sure if serious, but was legitimately going to put Hogan in the poll before being stopped by lack of options. Same with Watts. I actually think he'd be pretty good down back (Hogan).

Not sure if serious, but was legitimately going to put Hogan in the poll before being stopped by lack of options. Same with Watts. I actually think he'd be pretty good down back (Hogan).
Half Joking, half wouldn't mind seeing him play fullback in a pre season game and Tmac up forward. Just to serve my curiosity

We'll have 10 positions available after this. All of the players below have genuine claims to being best 22 IMO.

1. Hogan
2. Salem
3. Watts
4. Petracca
5. Brayshaw
6. Stretch
7. Melksham
8. Pedersen

9. vandenBerg
10. Vince
11. Weideman
12. Bugg
13. Kennedy
14. Garlett
15. Wagner
16. Harmes
:thumbsu:

Casey will be there abouts for the flag again this year.

Easiest one of the lot.

FB: Jetta OMac Frost
HB: Hunt TMac Hibberd

OMac should take the biggest forward this year, let him play on the gorillas. He is a bit bigger than his brother and TMac is much better when he can be freed up a bit. Frost should play most games, I think with his athleticism he can still play against a smaller forwardline.

Same as me.

1. Hogan
2. Salem
3. Watts
4. Petracca
5. Brayshaw
6. Stretch
7. Melksham
8. Pedersen
9. vandenBerg
10. Vince
11. Weideman
12. Bugg
13. Kennedy
14. Garlett
15. Wagner
16. Harmes

I was looking for Dunn - then I realized we don't have him anymore (or Gilles) so I had to go with Omac

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Hibbo?

He's not competing with Jetta, T&O Mac or Frost, they all play different roles to Hibberd. I also see guys like Stretch, Hunt and Salem as being a better medium and long term option but I guess he can rotate through the bench.

He's not competing with Jetta, T&O Mac or Frost, they all play different roles to Hibberd. I also see guys like Stretch, Hunt and Salem as being a better medium and long term option but I guess he can rotate through the bench.

Hibberd is a lock mate no way will stretch play HBF over hibberd. We need an option that is ready right now not the medium to long term.

Stretch will play on the wing.

Hibberd is a lock mate no way will stretch play HBF over hibberd. We need an option that is ready right now not the medium to long term.

Stretch will play on the wing.

Not going by the midfield thread, there's not a spot for him there. Who are you going to drop from our midfield to play Stretch there - Brayshaw, Oliver, Tyson?

Guys like Hunt and Stretch have improved over the last couple of years because they've been given an opportunity and they've grasped it. Through Salem into the same boat. All very good kids who can play great footy already. Not sure if replacing one of those talented youngsters with a 28 y/o one sided player who the opposition worked out how to play the last time he played which was what, 2015? albeit that he has shown in 2014 that he can play great footy

Each to their own mate.
Just don't see where Hibbo plays if not off half back.
It's precisely what he was recruited for over this off season when we knew what we had in Hunt, Salem and Stretch.
Stretch not off half back for mine. If not selected on a wing, he's on the bench.

Each to their own mate.
Just don't see where Hibbo plays if not off half back.
It's precisely what he was recruited for over this off season when we knew what we had in Hunt, Salem and Stretch.
Stretch not off half back for mine. If not selected on a wing, he's on the bench.

I think Hibberd should play a supporting role to our youngsters, so coming off the bench and rotations. Our future is with guys like Hunt, Stretch, Salem etc

I think Hibberd should play a supporting role to our youngsters, so coming off the bench and rotations. Our future is with guys like Hunt, Stretch, Salem etc
Other way round for me.
We didn't recruit him to play on the bench I'm sure of it

Other way round for me.
We didn't recruit him to play on the bench I'm sure of it

The reality in modern footy is then players starting on the bench still see a lot of game time. I think he will be a good support to our kids but we're improving because of them, I hope Goodwin keeps the faith

Not going by the midfield thread, there's not a spot for him there. Who are you going to drop from our midfield to play Stretch there - Brayshaw, Oliver, Tyson?

Guys like Hunt and Stretch have improved over the last couple of years because they've been given an opportunity and they've grasped it. Through Salem into the same boat. All very good kids who can play great footy already. Not sure if replacing one of those talented youngsters with a 28 y/o one sided player who the opposition worked out how to play the last time he played which was what, 2015? albeit that he has shown in 2014 that he can play great footy

You do realise you have more than 5 midfielders jones an co don't run out 100% game time. Stretch will be on the bench and play through the wing.

Hibberd turned 27 5 weeks ago. We gave up pick 29? For him. We won't be wasting him at Casey he is a certain starter.

We are past the stage of giving kids a go because they are young, blokes need to earn their spot like Petracca last year.

Barring injury hibberd will play 20 games this year

Last edited:
Back