Strategy 2023 | Let's Construct Our Best 22 | Part 3: Forwards

Which six players should fill the forward positions in a pre-2023 Best 22?

• 2 Jacob Van Rooyen

Votes: 31 68.9%
  • 4 James Harmes

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • 6 Brodie Grundy

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 9 Charlie Spargo

Votes: 33 73.3%
  • 16 Bailey Laurie

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 18 Jake Melksham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 19 Josh Schache

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • 21 Matthew Jefferson

• 22 Blake Howes

• 25 Tom McDonald

Votes: 38 84.4%
  • 29 Joel Smith

• 30 Alex Neal-Bullen

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • 31 Bayley Fritsch

Votes: 44 97.8%
  • 32 Tom Sparrow

• 36 Kysaiah Pickett

Votes: 43 95.6%
  • 37 Kade Chandler

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • 38 Oliver Sestan (r)

• 40 Taj Woewodin

• 45 Andy Moniz-Wakefield (rB)

• 50 Ben Brown

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy not even in the starting 18 :think: He should be with the mids I.e ruck and Gawn as a forward. Gawn was shocking at center bounces last season.

This guy knows the score.
Gawn is the most overrated ruck in the game from a hit out perspective. I hope Grundy is showing him how it's done in training this offseason.

This guy knows the score.
Gawn is the most overrated ruck in the game from a hit out perspective. I hope Grundy is showing him how it's done in training this offseason.

Only issue is Gawn isn't much chop as a starting forward either. I much prefer the idea of Gawn playing more back half this year rather than forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I
Ben Brown is not cooked, he's not even semi-cooked. He's just warming up baby, he's gonna EXPLODE this year and I'm gonna rub it in everyone's face.
I smell COLEMAN MEDAL BABY!!!!
I did slip a lazy $20 on him for the Coleman!

I take it your not a fan of JS. Some were doubters of Pederson as well.

To rest BBrown, keep his games tally light, early season.

Scache to bring the ball to ground, or to shield JvR going for the mark. He has the height (201cms) JvR doesn't.

Schache is not AFL standard. He's a player who gets games because he's tall enough to fill in as a second ruck or to attempt to play a defensive forward role on a key back.

If we're playing Schache at all we've got injury problems. I'd suggest he would only play if one of Grundy or Gawn is injured and even then I'd prefer we explore other options.

I think Brown is past the point of his career where he'd be rested. I can see him starting the season but from thereon in he'll play if his form warrants it or spend his time in the VFL as a back up.

I havent given up on Brown just yet, will wait and see how he goes over the first month before throwing in the towel, he was playing banged up in an unsuitable role last year. Hopefully the knee clean out and some faster ball movement works wonders.

Only issue is Gawn isn't much chop as a starting forward either. I much prefer the idea of Gawn playing more back half this year rather than forward.

He's fine as a starting forward, fix his shanking and he's more than capable if we move it quickly to him.

He's fine as a starting forward, fix his shanking and he's more than capable if we move it quickly to him.

Fix his shanking is much easier said than done when he hasn't fixed it in 10* years in the league.

Also applies no forward pressure.

He's ok as a marking threat every now and then but that's about it.

Fix his shanking is much easier said than done when he hasn't fixed it in 10* years in the league.

Also applies no forward pressure.

He's ok as a marking threat every now and then but that's about it.

Neither does Brown, neither does Hawkins.

He's a very strong marking threat, if he was given quick ball movement one out with fristch and Pickett actually near him there's no reason he can't be a dangerous forward.

I am happy to see how Brown goes Rnd 1, give him a few weeks then make a call on playing JVR instead

Neither does Brown, neither does Hawkins.

He's a very strong marking threat, if he was given quick ball movement one out with fristch and Pickett actually near him there's no reason he can't be a dangerous forward.
Stop being so silly TK. Why just score when we have the ball when we can let the opposition get it so we can get it back from them and then score?

How we use the ruckmen is going to be the most fascinating part of the first few rounds. My view that the best plan is for neither to play much 'traditional' key forward. I think whoever isn't in the ruck will start forward but be given a license to read the play and drift around the ground as needed.

Perhaps it's wishful thinking but I don't think we would've recruited Grundy just so one of him or Max plays out of the goalsquare 50% of the time. I think plan A will be to find out how they can work in tandem, and hopefully allow either of them to exploit the match ups they get by floating in and grabbing some marks inside 50 (as opposed to sitting inside 50 waiting to have it put on their heads).

Back