List Mgmt. 2017 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shiel was always the most likely to leave early .

I think Sheil is an interesting one. He's never been one to say outright "I love this club" like some others who have already bailed *cough* Treloar *cough*. He's never been one to say much publicly at all. Which seems to have given lots of other people the belief he wants out. But when pressed, he's the first to talk about the history being made and the honour of building the club from scratch.

I vaguely remember an interview with him talking about seeing other club rooms and all the photos of the long gone players up on the wall and thinking that at this club it's "my" photo up there. First game, fist win - hopefully first final etc. (it was a few years ago now)

I've always been quietly confident that he'll stay.

I think Sheil is an interesting one. He's never been one to say outright "I love this club" like some others who have already bailed *cough* Treloar *cough*. He's never been one to say much publicly at all. Which seems to have given lots of other people the belief he wants out. But when pressed, he's the first to talk about the history being made and the honour of building the club from scratch.

I vaguely remember an interview with him talking about seeing other club rooms and all the photos of the long gone players up on the wall and thinking that at this club it's "my" photo up there. First game, fist win - hopefully first final etc. (it was a few years ago now)

I've always been quietly confident that he'll stay.

I remember that interview. It was in a promo video a couple of years ago.

There's also a fair chance he's quiet because he doesn't want the attention, and knows that he can get that in Sydney. Head back to Melbourne and there's no chance of it.

Living Like GIANTS
GIANTS Media - @GWSGIANTS

12 December 2016 3:07 PM

Four of the most promising talents in the GIANTS Academy have spent the week learning how to live and train as professional AFL players.

All members of the level two AFL Academy squad (those players eligible for the 2017 draft) will train with a club in December to gain an insight into AFL life before entering their draft year.

GIANTS Academy members Charlie Spargo, Jarrod Brander, Jack Powell and Nathan Richards all spent last week at the GIANTS’ Learning Life Centre in Sydney Olympic Park.

The quartet met up with some familiar faces as they joined training with recently drafted Academy members Will Setterfield, Harry Perryman, Isaac Cumming, Lachie Tiziani and Zach Sproule.

The level two group recently completed a training camp in Darwin under new head coach (and former GIANT) Luke Power and next month will head to America for a high performance camp in Florida and Los Angeles.

Shiel to me is a very high quality individual and has spurned higher renumeration to stay loyal to the group and also his goal to win a flag.

It would not surprise me if he signed early but with a possible exit agreement if he needed to get back home due to family and frankly after all his service I'd let him have it.

As a player his pace is welcome in a pretty one paced midfield however I do think his body is not allowing him to be the player he could have been.

Whilst in terms of games he has been pretty durable I reckon his shoulder issues are pretty serious and he plays through duress. He just appears winged often and it does affect his game.

He is super professional and a wonderful young leader who like Scully sets a terrific example of professionalism to the group via his benchmark standards in training and the manner he leads his life.

Gun.

It would not surprise me if he signed early but with a possible exit agreement if he needed to get back home due to family and frankly after all his service I'd let him have it.

It would surprise me, as that's what Tippett and the Crows got in severe trouble for including. ;)

Shiel to me is a very high quality individual and has spurned higher renumeration to stay loyal to the group and also his goal to win a flag.

As a player his pace is welcome in a pretty one paced midfield however I do think his body is not allowing him to be the player he could have been.

Whilst in terms of games he has been pretty durable I reckon his shoulder issues are pretty serious and he plays through duress. He just appears winged often and it does affect his game.

He is super professional and a wonderful young leader who like Scully sets a terrific example of professionalism to the group via his benchmark standards in training and the manner he leads his life.

Gun.
I think the issue with Dylan is more the club being fair to him and finding the money to pay him what he's worth. Hopefully the Macarthy and Palmer trades freed up some cash as well as Scuĺly's new deal. I get it's more complicated than that with other guys to keep but he should be a priority. It's noticeable to me that Dylan and Jezza are the ones that get the kids exited at Spotless.

Are they not allowed to have a discussion where he says if I need to get home early you will try to get me there?

The club can't offer a binding commitment. There's no way to prove or disprove "nudge nudge wink wink" but that requires a lot of faith by the player given both circumstances and list management staff change at any club. It strikes me as very unlikely as a result, especially when players can and do request or demand trades while contracted all the time now without any type of club agreement.

The club can't offer a binding commitment. There's no way to prove or disprove "nudge nudge wink wink" but that requires a lot of faith by the player given both circumstances and list management staff change at any club. It strikes me as very unlikely as a result, especially when players can and do request or demand trades while contracted all the time now without any type of club agreement.

I guess that is what I'm getting at, a conversation that if we win a flag he may want an exit strategy. Contract bonuses may necessitate that anyway. Would love him to stay his whole career, great kid

Likely to be tumbleweeds through over the xmas period so maybe thoughts on who are the priority re-signings although with no end in sight to the salary cap it seems all clubs are limited somewhat.
My thoughts are
Shiel/Kelly Both keys to the future success although I am sure they will be fielding offers near the Tom Boyd level
Patton, no one like him on the list and can see him signing midway through the season and have faith in him staying loyal
Hopper, again depending on how he goes early on in the season
Williams, can see a early contract extension for him with his versatility
Smith, not sure on him as he seems to be the easiest to replace with both Delidio and Greene playing a similar role and Taranto on the list. Although loyalty does go both ways so can see the club pushing to get his signature
Buntine/Tomlinson will both be down to form and opportunities but if the midfielders above sign then the club may not have the salary cap for both of these guys and with Himmelberg/Corr as well I feel the club may have to look at trading 1 of these 4.
M Kennedy, completely depending on opportunities and feel the club will be patient on this one after the Ahern and Pickett extensions could be classified as a mistake with the returns on the picks the club received

Not sure on Flynn as haven't seen him play and what others here feel his potential position is? I was surprised Simpson is on the list for 2017 as it would prevent Downie/Flynn playing full-time ruck in the NEAFL which i would have thought would be key for development. Unless Simpson is around the first part of the season and will then assist in a development role for the last part of his contract?

Not sure on Flynn as haven't seen him play and what others here feel his potential position is? I was surprised Simpson is on the list for 2017 as it would prevent Downie/Flynn playing full-time ruck in the NEAFL which i would have thought would be key for development. Unless Simpson is around the first part of the season and will then assist in a development role for the last part of his contract?

Flynn, to me, looks more like Lobb than Mumford or Simpson. Skinny, lanky and very tall. He took NEAFL Mark of the Year so can fly surprisingly well and kicked 26:8 in his 19 games, so he's pretty accurate up forward too. I really like him.

I think Simpson got a reprieve because we don't have a monster mummy backup. Lobb and Flynn are too skinny to be a full time first ruck and Downie is somewhere in between. I actually think it's Downie who may be in trouble finding a spot on the list going forward. He's not a forward who can ruck and nor is he really a primary ruck. If there were room in teams for two genuine rucks, then Downie would be fine, but there's not. Your second ruck these days has to be able to offer more than what Downie does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flynn, to me, looks more like Lobb than Mumford or Simpson. Skinny, lanky and very tall. He took NEAFL Mark of the Year so can fly surprisingly well and kicked 26:8 in his 19 games, so he's pretty accurate up forward too. I really like him.

I think Simpson got a reprieve because we don't have a monster mummy backup. Lobb and Flynn are too skinny to be a full time first ruck and Downie is somewhere in between. I actually think it's Downie who may be in trouble finding a spot on the list going forward. He's not a forward who can ruck and nor is he really a primary ruck. If there were room in teams for two genuine rucks, then Downie would be fine, but there's not. Your second ruck these days has to be able to offer more than what Downie does.
Agree. Downie also lacks the agility needed for an alternate role. His mobility is good, but not great. Simpson is not much better of course, but his size counts if we need a main ruck.

Downie is a terriffic depth player who will be able to pinch hit if things get desperate. He would fill a role if we lost Mummy for a period and could also cover one of our three tall forwards. He is a good mark and kick and not a bad ruck plus is not a strain on the cap. Just the type of player all teams need when pushing for a premiership. Ideally we will not need him in the best 22 but I am more than happy he is on the list.

Do you guys think you'll retain himmelberg at the end of the year with all your depth? His brother Elliot sort of dropped the ball a bit in his first interview at AFC and said maybe they will play together in the future. You could see on his face he knew he stuffed that up.

Do you guys think you'll retain himmelberg at the end of the year with all your depth? His brother Elliot sort of dropped the ball a bit in his first interview at AFC and said maybe they will play together in the future. You could see on his face he knew he stuffed that up.

I would have thought himmelberg is a pretty important player for our future, noting that Patfull retired end of last season.

I would have thought himmelberg is a pretty important player for our future, noting that Patfull retired end of last season.
Yeah I agree but you certainly wouldn't be offering him much and I wouldn't have thought he'd be getting much of a look unless Haynes or Williams go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back