Draft Review 2017 - Revisit the 2017 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

In a good team yes, there’s more than 5% of the comp I’d take over him.
Fair enough

6 goal grand final players are in abundance I guess

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Melbourne fans really gone from chuffed to triggered very quickly - some bizarre responses from a lot of Dees supporters over the past couple of weeks.

In successful teams statistical anomalies apply and players performances and stats get inflated due to the trickle down effect of playing in a decent side that allows them to perform their role to the absolute best of their abilities. It doesn't de-value them as a player, but it's important to recognise the circumstances they are operating in and the very clear fact they wouldn't be producing to the same level in a worse team. Fritsch kicked 20 and 22 in a Bottom 10 team in 2019 and 2020 as an indicator of this.

That is how you get situations like Fritsch kicking 6 in a grand final. That doesn't automatically elevate him above the vast majority of players in the league, that points to a strong contribution in a landslide victory. Clay Smith (also a mid-sized forward) kicked 4 in a prelim in 2016 and IMO this is as impressive if not more impressive given the game was a tighter, lower scoring contest.

Nice player, no doubt, but I think there's a very real possibility last season will go down as his best as a player and his value is currently at its absolute highest. Though as long as Melbourne keep winning he should keep kicking goals. I don't think he's got much of a capacity to increase his standing from here unless he shows more capability as a midfielder and adds a few more tricks to his game, but it could happen.

I wouldn't take him in the Top 5 if there was a re-draft and I doubt I'd take him Top 10 either. Not far after though.

Last edited:
Sam Taylor is criminally underrated in these lists.

Fast becoming one of the better key defenders in the league and would not be surprised to see him in the AA side in the next few years. Has had the benefit of playing with some really strong key defenders and will probably take over the mantle of GWS' number one if he hasn't already.

Would be awesome to see he and Alleer form a strong defensive partnership in years to come.

I'm not sure how any criticism of Fritsch is valid in a year where he kicked 59 goals, kicked 6 in a grand final, made AA40, and plays the third tall, where obviously opportunities are limited.

No disrespect, but anyone criticising Fritsch for his year in 2021 needs to take up a new sport.

I don’t think anyone is criticising him how Dees supporters could be annoyed at a Jenkins comparison

Who's your hybrid forward/third tall ?

You have a list of 40+ players, so I'm trying to ascertain who plays that role at Carlton ?

I wouldn’t say we really have a similar type. Martin is a hybrid type but tends to play higher up the ground as do third talls McGovern and SOJ and both of those play a much more defensive game. So yeh wouldn’t say we have a like for like since Walker played forward for us.

Geez some Dees supporters are insecure.

Tbf all posters of successful teams go through the same process, Dees fans have just gone earlier than most.

It makes a lot of sense though. You cop a month or more of complete jubilation, Dee supporters spend weeks giving their players verbal fellatio on the Melbourne board. Come Christmas time their fans are rushing out to Dymocks to buy the seasons hottest title: Max Gawn's 2021 Captain's Diary - and Boxing Day is spent devouring the thoughts of one of footy's brightest football minds.

Then the reality sets in. Opposition posters don't have the same veneration for the 22 brave young men who set foot on The MCG Optus Stadium in September. There's now enough distance between the flag and the present day those euphoric feelings have collapsed. To try to re-create some of those feelings and remind themselves of recent success fans take to every thread trying to include the Dees in whatever fashion and can't quite take the pushback from opposition supporters on any minor piece of dissent.

I almost wish Dees supporters would go back to being happy. There's way too many sadboi Melbourne fans roaming around Bigfooty at the moment.

Last edited:
Tbf all posters of successful teams go through the same process, Dees fans have just gone earlier than most.

It makes a lot of sense though. You cop a month or more of complete jubilation, Dee supporters spend weeks giving their players verbal fellatio on the Melbourne board. Come Christmas time their fans are rushing out to Dymocks to buy the seasons hottest title: Max Gawn's 2021 Captain's Diary - and Boxing Day is spent devouring the thoughts of one of footy's brightest football minds.

Then the reality sets in. Opposition posters don't have the same veneration for the 22 brave young men who set foot on The MCG Optus Stadium in September. There's now enough distance between the flag and the present day those euphoric feelings have collapsed. To try to re-create some of those feelings and remind themselves of recent success fans take to every thread trying to include the Dees in whatever fashion and can't quite take the pushback from opposition supporters on any minor piece of dissent.

I almost wish Dees supporters would go back to being happy. There's way too many sadboi Melbourne fans roaming around Bigfooty at the moment.
To be honest, I love it. Very entertaining for an outsider to view the lack of self-awareness of Dees supporters, especially in threads such as these.

Glad a Doggies supporter has got something to smile about.

I love it.
They went from being the most smug to being very quiet/defensive

It'd almost like about 9.30ish on 25/9/21 something killed their smugness

Also funny there is a Carlton supporter who loses their s**t over anyone not thinking Carlton are a flag hope in '22 who is having at other supporters of a recently successful club

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Sam Taylor is criminally underrated in these lists.

Fast becoming one of the better key defenders in the league and would not be surprised to see him in the AA side in the next few years. Has had the benefit of playing with some really strong key defenders and will probably take over the mantle of GWS' number one if he hasn't already.

Would be awesome to see he and Alleer form a strong defensive partnership in years to come.
I'm bias, but agree.
If he didn't get injured mid year, he was a very good chance to be AA this year
He is a ripper.

Had a good dive into this draft this morning and it certainly isn't as poor a draft as it has often been labelled. There is a fairly decent top 30-40 who are playing plenty of footy for their clubs. If it was run again Naughton, Ryan and Brayshaw are probably all candidates for the top spot.

On Rayner, he would likely drop out of the top ten and might find himself taken as a late first. Us Lions fans love him of course and are quite bullish on his potential still. But the reality is there is a list of names that have shown more at this point and are often holding down far more important roles for their team. Its not a failure, as Cam is best 22 comfortably in a good side, but it hasn't worked out as anticipated at this point. For us Bailey has gone past him and would easily be a top ten pick now. Starcevich has also shown plenty as a general defender, possibly one of the best in the league, but his position in the draft may not have moved much from 18, due to the lower importance of position.

Had a good dive into this draft this morning and it certainly isn't as poor a draft as it has often been labelled. There is a fairly decent top 30-40 who are playing plenty of footy for their clubs. If it was run again Naughton, Ryan and Brayshaw are probably all candidates for the top spot.

On Rayner, he would likely drop out of the top ten and might find himself taken as a late first. Us Lions fans love him of course and are quite bullish on his potential still. But the reality is there is a list of names that have shown more at this point and are often holding down far more important roles for their team. Its not a failure, as Cam is best 22 comfortably in a good side, but it hasn't worked out as anticipated at this point. For us Bailey has gone past him and would easily be a top ten pick now. Starcevich has also shown plenty as a general defender, possibly one of the best in the league, but his position in the draft may not have moved much from 18, due to the lower importance of position.

I agree with this, but we have to remember that Cam was robbed of a whole season of football. He was looking really fit last pre season and eyeing off some more mid time. We saw Starce and Rat really break out and who knows if Cam could have done something similar...I don't have huge expectations for him coming back from a knee this year, but in 2023 he really needs to take his game to another level. Really hope he does.

On moto g(30) using BigFooty.com mobile app

This looks a solid draft.
20 odd decent players coming out of the first 33 picks, and a nice bunch of them coming from around the mid twenties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North gave away Brown, who had the kind of season Bayley had four years in a row until 2019, for essentially nothing after one bad season. I don’t think anyone is taking a player like Fritsch in the top 5 when you’ve got Brayshaw, Cerra, Naughton, Bailey as easy 1-4 and then guys like Rayner and LDU with heaps of improvement.

Does Naughton have any real competition for 1 at this stage?
He'd be my pick, but you could make an argument for a few others.
Brayshaw, Baily and Cerra perhaps.
Kelly is older, but has done the most so far, depends on how you are ranking them.

Im super happy with Sam Taylor, and wouldn't swap him, but no one would have him one.

1. Balta
2. Allen
3. Naughton
4. Taylor
5. Kelly
6. Brayshaw
7. Bailey
8. Rayner
9. Cerra
10. De Koning
11. Ryan
12. Fritsch
13. Baker
14. Starcevich
15. Clark
16. McCartin
17. Ballard
18. Powell
19. Stephenson
20. Richards
What a strange list.

A pisstake I assume.

He'd be my pick, but you could make an argument for a few others.
Brayshaw, Baily and Cerra perhaps.
Kelly is older, but has done the most so far, depends on how you are ranking them.

Im super happy with Sam Taylor, and wouldn't swap him, but no one would have him one.
I dont think you could really argue Bailey at 1. Lot of x factor and impact but he still isnt a starting mid. Floats between positions and roles a bit. At the moment I think he would be more a top 10 and maybe pushing into top 5

I think you would have to take either the key forward or the star proper mids in Cerra or Brayshaw first.

North gave away Brown, who had the kind of season Bayley had four years in a row until 2019, for essentially nothing after one bad season. I don’t think anyone is taking a player like Fritsch in the top 5 when you’ve got Brayshaw, Cerra, Naughton, Bailey as easy 1-4 and then guys like Rayner and LDU with heaps of improvement.
25 goals makes it back to back bad seasons for Brown. But he does look fit for this early in the year so could get back to 60+ goals again.

I have no issue with Fritsch being top 5 - he is a very unique player.

I dont think you could really argue Bailey at 1. Lot of x factor and impact but he still isnt a starting mid. Floats between positions and roles a bit. At the moment I think he would be more a top 10 and maybe pushing into top 5

I think you would have to take either the key forward or the star proper mids in Cerra or Brayshaw first.
You're probably right, a bit of my bias showing through, have a man crush on him.

1. Balta
2. Allen
3. Naughton
4. Taylor
5. Kelly
6. Brayshaw
7. Bailey
8. Rayner
9. Cerra
10. De Koning
11. Ryan
12. Fritsch
13. Baker
14. Starcevich
15. Clark
16. McCartin
17. Ballard
18. Powell
19. Stephenson
20. Richards
Ignoring the fact you've got Naughton as 3rd best tall, you seem to have Ryan and Fritsch unusually low. Both are very damaging forwards and played big roles in their clubs' flag wins. Personally I'd have Ryan top 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back