• Sandi/Witts

Votes: 34 13.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 25.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea who will be the best this year after Gawn, so unless someone changes that during JLT it will be Ryder or Witts, and I'll trade in who ever is looking the best before that GC/Port bye

Thinking behind Witts is that Ryder will either be r2 or f4, and the other will be Witts or McLuggage. If Witts is going well and the number 1 ruck for GC going into round 1, I'd be fairly confident in him outscoring McLuggage, and if it all goes wrong you can just switch Ryder in and downgrade Witts to a forward rookie.

I have no idea who will be the best this year after Gawn, so unless someone changes that during JLT it will be Ryder or Witts, and I'll trade in who ever is looking the best before that GC/Port bye

Thinking behind Witts is that Ryder will either be r2 or f4, and the other will be Witts or McLuggage. If Witts is going well and the number 1 ruck for GC going into round 1, I'd be fairly confident in him outscoring McLuggage, and if it all goes wrong you can just switch Ryder in and downgrade Witts to a forward rookie.
I think Jacobs, Goldy and Mummy will all do well later in the year
Interrupted preseasons, so it'll take them a few games to get back in the swing of things, assuming they can keep their body right

Starting Witts (riskier) or Ryder (safer) at R2 seems the most logical plan to me; gives you a free hit at the best performing ruck in round 9

Could very well be Goldy around $450k, ready to explode and go 110 from there onwards

I'm sticking with my feeling that Grundy will improve as a player, but not in SC

I'm considering going the ballsy move of my starting rucks being Sandilands and Witts. Sit with these two for a couple months before upgrading them both to the top two rucks at the time (e.g Gawn and Goldy). In the interim, I'll spend the saved cash elsewhere to upgrade lagging areas. I feel like both will have a very decent early increase in price, and coupling this with Gawn and Goldy seemingly being at their price ceilings (hence probably won't increase) makes this a decent proposition.

Mate if you want me to tell you who I have right now it's Gawn and Stef. Yes they share a bye, yes Gawn is over priced. But they aren't carrying the injury concerns and have both shown they can go 115+. Goldy will be in if the knee holds up.
Hickeys HOA is amazing and if he can increase his number of hit outs per game (with no more third man up), he should be considered.
:thumbsu:

I don't mind Hickey. He's a chance for my R2.

Otherwise its Gawn and Ryder. If Hickey makes my R2 Ill try fit Ryder in at F3
I think Hickey is a bit risky at his price he hasn't shown he can consistently score. Saying that though he is at the age where a break out is quiet possible.

I'm considering going the ballsy move of my starting rucks being Sandilands and Witts. Sit with these two for a couple months before upgrading them both to the top two rucks at the time (e.g Gawn and Goldy). In the interim, I'll spend the saved cash elsewhere to upgrade lagging areas. I feel like both will have a very decent early increase in price, and coupling this with Gawn and Goldy seemingly being at their price ceilings (hence probably won't increase) makes this a decent proposition.
You'll have balls the size of watermelons to pull that off.

By all means go for it. But I'll be starting with the proven method of set and forget. Too much risk involved in going any other way. If your "value" pick shits the bed in the rucks, you'll probably end up burning 2 trades in order to correct it. Where as if your value selection in the fwd or def line does, you have far more options. Basic knowledge.

That's rubbish. The rucks are like any other line. Going "value" in the rucks means you can start another keeper on another line. "Basic Knowledge" tells you that starting with more keepers will mean less trades in the end and a full team of premiums faster. "Basic knowledge" will also tell you that cash generation is critical and if you can grab a $209k player that will average 80+, that's gold.

As long as u don't overload on value/mid price picks, it makes no difference where you take them.

You'll have balls the size of watermelons to pull that off.

I initially had Gawn/Sandilands/Witts as my three rucks.

Then I traded Gawn down to Strnadica, leaving me with Sandilands and Witts as R1 and R2.

With the cash, I did the following:
N Freeman > H McCluggage
W Rioli > N Riewoldt
H Bennell > I Heeney

These are just preliminary changes, but you can see exactly how much value can get utilised by doing this. Worst case scenario, if one of them goes down early, I have Ryder to swing into the rucks and will bench them until I have the cash to upgrade to Gawn or similar.

Be wary of Hickey, since Longer is more highly rated within the club. Hickey had the gig last year due to good form and Longer's shoulder injury, and will most likely be the ruckman from round 1. But if Longer plays well in the VFL he will most likely be given a fast lane into the AFL side.

Be wary of Hickey, since Longer is more highly rated within the club. Hickey had the gig last year due to good form and Longer's shoulder injury, and will most likely be the ruckman from round 1. But if Longer plays well in the VFL he will most likely be given a fast lane into the AFL side.

I'm more wary of Hickey because of the fact that he has only tonned up 6 times in his last two seasons (31 games)

I like the Hickey pick

It's just like the Stef situation imo, if Smith/Longer play aswell, its curtains.

im going with Hickey if he gets first crack at it.
if he plays well the spot is his and he'll probably score well in the process.

if he doesnt play well then his scoring is probably going to be s**t and i'll need to trade him regardless of how Longer is playing in the VFL or how highly he's rated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's rubbish. The rucks are like any other line. Going "value" in the rucks means you can start another keeper on another line. "Basic Knowledge" tells you that starting with more keepers will mean less trades in the end and a full team of premiums faster. "Basic knowledge" will also tell you that cash generation is critical and if you can grab a $209k player that will average 80+, that's gold.

As long as u don't overload on value/mid price picks, it makes no difference where you take them.

I agree. But if a value pick fails in the midfield, forward line or defence they can easily be downgraded to a rookie.

But A value pick ruckman can pretty much only be upgraded if they get dropped/injured, as there's limited cheap options who will actually get games.

I'm stilling picking a value ruckman, but i really think that anybody doing this needs to have some sort of back up plan incase the s**t hits the fan.

I initially had Gawn/Sandilands/Witts as my three rucks.

Then I traded Gawn down to Strnadica, leaving me with Sandilands and Witts as R1 and R2.

With the cash, I did the following:
N Freeman > H McCluggage
W Rioli > N Riewoldt
H Bennell > I Heeney

These are just preliminary changes, but you can see exactly how much value can get utilised by doing this. Worst case scenario, if one of them goes down early, I have Ryder to swing into the rucks and will bench them until I have the cash to upgrade to Gawn or similar.
I don't mind the Gawn and Sand/Witts option. However going Sandi and Witts could leave you in serious trouble early. For me anyway that's too big a risk.

I guess you are tanking this year?

I agree. But if a value pick fails in the midfield, forward line or defence they can easily be downgraded to a rookie.

But A value pick ruckman can pretty much only be upgraded if they get dropped/injured, as there's limited cheap options who will actually get games.

I'm stilling picking a value ruckman, but i really think that anybody doing this needs to have some sort of back up plan incase the s**t hits the fan.
My point exactly

But when was the last time we actually had value picks in the ruck line? This year we have Sandi, Witts, Nankervis, Giles, and even Boyd & Naismith as real options.

As for set & forget, apart form Gawn, who's the other option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back