Analysis 2018 AFL Finals Series Discussion - Bulldogs Only

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest problem from the umps was that there was only 4 free kicks given in the last quarter, 26 across the other 3. All good to put the whistle away, but anything paid earlier in the game should be paid at the end too
Commentators usually talk about umpires putting the whistle away like it's a good thing. It's not. It's inconsistent enforcement of the rules and just strengthens the image of the AFL's adhocery, and making things up as they go. It also encourages players to press the boundaries a bit harder late in a GF if they know that's how umpires operate.

If it's such a virtue they should put the whistle away all year.

As the ball comes in though, Rioli isn't attempting to contest, his attention is on Maynard. At that point he has technically infringed.

There is a still shot I have seen that shows Maynard’s hand in Rioli’s face/head - should have possibly been a free there as well.

I think over analysing the free kicks takes away from the game. I don’t think the free kicks had any bearing on the final score, and Sheed’s kick under pressure from a difficult angle won the game, not free kicks.

I think over analysing the free kicks takes away from the game. I don’t think the free kicks had any bearing on the final score, and Sheed’s kick under pressure from a difficult angle won the game, not free kicks.
Took the pressure off Jack Darling and his spectacular fail with two minutes to go, if Collingwood had won Jack Darling would be
trekking in remote areas of South America instead of celebrating.

What does that have to do with my question lol ?
There is no rear vision mirror in football, it is nice to look back at better times. West Coast won the flag they
can live in the moment now, but Richmond, Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Hawthorn, Hawthorn and Sydney cannot
because their efforts huge and commendable as they were are history and have no bearing going forward
2016 will not help us win 2019 just as 1954 did not help us win 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back