Unofficial Preview 2018 AFL National Draft - The Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Also the comparison of Lukosious to Riewoldt is just about the worst I’ve ever read. They have completely different strengths.

If Riewoldt suddenly got a transplant of Wayne Schwass’ peg, they might be similar.

I doubt we'll have to tank. Yeah i get it we dont look too bad on paper, but neither do almost all the other teams. We've rightly let go a lot of experience in the past 2 years and this year add....LDU. Our first low pick for years. Freo get pick 2 and 5, with a fully fit Fyfe and Sandi should be significantly better. Brisbane added to their already top heavy talented list as did Carlton and StKilda. Melbourne surely improves and Collingwood under performed massively imo. Essendon and Port topped up and should be better, then Dogs, Cats, Tigers, Crows, GWS, Swans who simply have better lists and should be aiming at being contenders. Yeah we'll take it upto some quality teams and even beat a few but really it should be us and the Suns battling it out.

Assuming injury rates are the same amongst all clubs then our relative soft draw and less willingness as a club to strategically tank means we will win more games than a number of other teams - at a minimum we will end up higher than Carlton, Brisbane, Gold Coast but maybe also Freo, St Kilda and Collingwood.

If we have a relatively good injury run we could well win 10-12 games.

Given the quality at the top end of the 2018 draft by round 12 the 'Rankine Cup' games will be in full swing - the clubs i mentioned above will be in full tank mode by Round 14 and it will be interesting to see how we 'adapt' to that environment.

Prepare for a spankin.
True.

So "If you find ya'self be Wantin' to Tankin' for Rankin, ya better stop ya Wankin' or prepare for some Spankin". We got the talent.

I'll need to add that to my sig.

Assuming injury rates are the same amongst all clubs then our relative soft draw and less willingness as a club to strategically tank means we will win more games than a number of other teams - at a minimum we will end up higher than Carlton, Brisbane, Gold Coast but maybe also Freo, St Kilda and Collingwood.

If we have a relatively good injury run we could well win 10-12 games.

Given the quality at the top end of the 2018 draft by round 12 the 'Rankine Cup' games will be in full swing - the clubs i mentioned above will be in full tank mode by Round 14 and it will be interesting to see how we 'adapt' to that environment.

So you believe we're going straight back to being middle of the road without being a contender. Well we have liked that outcome in the past, i cant dismiss it, but given how much we've cleaned house it appears we're waking up that the game is rebuild to become a contender not float about in the middle forever. If Carlton, StKilda and Brisbane finish below us it would be a disgrace given the talent they have. Collingwood have one of the best midfield on paper going around, they should be believing they're a challenger.
Hawthorn is the one id keep an eye on for a tank year, they've played it well in the past.

Hawthorn is the one id keep an eye on for a tank year, they've played it well in the past.

Yep. Them and Carlton if they have a run of poor games.

If we keep our best side on the park, we might end up a lot higher than I first thought.

Yep. Them and Carlton if they have a run of poor games.

If we keep our best side on the park, we might end up a lot higher than I first thought.
Carlton won't need to tank. They've lost their best 2 players from last season. Should be early spoon favourites.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

So you believe we're going straight back to being middle of the road without being a contender. Well we have liked that outcome in the past, i cant dismiss it, but given how much we've cleaned house it appears we're waking up that the game is rebuild to become a contender not float about in the middle forever. If Carlton, StKilda and Brisbane finish below us it would be a disgrace given the talent they have. Collingwood have one of the best midfield on paper going around, they should be believing they're a challenger.
The ideal situation as I see it is that we pump as many games as possible into our youngsters - be competitive in most matches and play some good footy but fall away as towards the end of games and ultimately finish 16-18 on the ladder with a couple of surprise wins along the way.

I think we will be the same position as this year unfortunately.

15th is about right, considering we should be higher than Carlton, Suns and Brisbane. We need another 2 years of quality draft picks before we head to the finals again....so 2020 for me. Carlton are poo and will be for some years. Brisbane might surprise us and others with the Hodge effect on an already talented young list. The Suns might be inspired by Dew for the first half of the year but then fall away. The other teams will be higher for next year, but we will be knocking on the door in 2019 then pounce on Josh Kelly and 2020 will be anywhere from 5-8....2021 premiership.

If we can have Rankine, Cunners,LDU and Kelly in the midfield with our young KKP's matured in 2 years,we will be formidable.

I can't seem to make up my mind about what I want for 2018 as they all conflict:
  • I want very good draft picks for the super draft so that means we shouldn't be winning many games?
  • But i certainly don't want to be forever stained by our first AFL wooden spoon - so may be second last?
  • But i also want to prove to all the naysayers that North doesn't have a sh!t list lol
Looks like we win and lose either way in 2018?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't seem to make up my mind about what I want for 2018 as they all conflict:
  • I want very good draft picks for the super draft so that means we shouldn't be winning many games?
  • But i certainly don't want to be forever stained by our first AFL wooden spoon - so may be second last?
  • But i also want to prove to all the naysayers that North doesn't have a sh!t list lol
Looks like we win and lose either way in 2018?
Super draft snooper draft. You want to prove something about our list to the naysayers. The 2028 draft will be better. Nothing assumed at you flyhigh18, but who still wants us to lose for any reason? Things turn quickly and surprisingly. We will not be bottom four without significant injuries again. The draft usually only delivers karma.

2018 academy players to keep an eye on

Adam Curley and Michael Whiting November 29, 2017 7:00 AM

527839-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Nick Blakey will have three clubs waiting by the phone next year

MANY footy experts have described the 2018 NAB AFL Draft as a bumper crop, and four clubs will be hoping their academy programs can provide them with plenty of future stars.

Among the list of potential draftees next year are father-son selections Nick Blakey, son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne defender John, and Bailey Scott, son of former Geelong and North Melbourne midfielder Robert.

Blakey and Scott helped the Kangaroos to the 1996 premiership.

The intriguing part about the pair of talented youngsters is that both are eligible to be claimed by the clubs their fathers played at, but they're also part of the academy system, with Blakey (Sydney) and Scott (Gold Coast) growing up in the northern states.

It should add plenty to next year's lead-up to the draft when the teenagers will be forced to nominate their preferred destinations.

Below, AFL.com.au nominates five players at each academy you should keep an eye on in 2018.

BRISBANE LIONS
Tom Matthews
Half-back/wing

Excellent outside player with a good kick and strong overhead mark. Showed his class at the under-17 All Star game on Grand Final eve, racking up 12 disposals in the first quarter before switching positions.

Darcy Marsh
Small forward

Clever left-footer who reads the play well and has an excellent sense around goal. A former Australian under-17 cricketer who has given away the bat and ball to focus on footy.

Justin Currie
Wing

A former national level middle-distance runner, Currie has overcome a stress fracture in his lower back and has resumed full training. Has excellent speed and endurance, and will complete his game with more contested ball work.

Ben Sloan
Half-forward

Missed out on being drafted this year, but the Lions will bring him back to focus purely on their academy program in 2018. Sloan has a good leap, is a strong mark for his size and has broken three seconds for the 20m sprint. Just needs a little more consistency within matches.

Jack Clayton
Defender

Like Sloan, wasn't drafted this year after spending time with the AFL Academy, Lions academy, Lions NEAFL team and Allies under-18s. A small defender with good skills, the club believes training exclusively with its academy (and seniors through pre-season) will improve his game immeasurably.

GOLD COAST
Bailey Scott
Midfielder

A highly talented midfielder who can play inside and outside, Scott is already 186cm and has good speed, excellent endurance and can kick well off both sides. The son of former North Melbourne and Geelong star Robert, he'll have the choice of either club as a father-son or the Suns academy in 12 months' time.

scott281117.jpg

Caleb Graham
Defender

Like Jack Bowes before him, hails from Cairns and has moved to the Gold Coast to give footy his best shot. Graham is a key defender, who can also swing forward, is a strong contested mark and has the great combination of a long reach and good closing speed.

Dirk Koenen
Defender

Has had a few injuries, but at 195cm is a key defender who has already proved adept at intercept marking and is well skilled with ball in hand. Koenen comes from a sporting family with his older sisters Breanna (Lions AFLW team) and Cara (Sunshine Coast Lightning netball) already playing in national competitions.

Cory Beaman
Midfield/forward

Beaman is a former under-15 All Australian with a bit of X-factor. Has dynamic speed and a brilliant vertical leap from his track and field background and can swing between forward and midfield. Just needs to work on his endurance over the next 12 months.

Cooper Portelli
Midfielder

A hard-at-it midfielder, Portelli is a Gold Coast local with a strong body who loves to win the contested ball and finds plenty of it. Needs to work on his polish and finishing skills, but has the makings of an excellent player.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
James Peatling
Forward

An agile small-to-medium-sized forward from western Sydney who loves to fly for his marks and knows where the goals are. Defensive tackling pressure has also been impressive inside 50.

Kieren Briggs
Forward

Another western Sydney local who played as a key forward for GWS in the academy series, but is versatile enough to have played as a key defender in the NEAFL. Good speed and agility for his size and a powerful kick.

Jeromy Lucas
Forward/midfielder

A medium-sized forward/midfielder who has a great ability to find the footy, is a quality overhead mark, and finishes his work in front of goals. Kicked three goals in a game of NEAFL last season and will combine his school footy at Xavier College with academy games and the NEAFL again in 2018.

Shaun Driscoll
Small defender/midfielder

A lightly framed half-back/wingman with fantastic endurance and speed, Driscoll is a good overhead mark for his size that covers plenty of territory during a game. An outside midfielder but has the capacity to play inside if needed.

Mathew Walker
Forward

The medium forward kicked multiple bags of goals in the NEAFL last season and finished the year in the All Stars game in Grand Final week. Powerful athlete with quality skills on both sides of his body and a big vertical leap.

SYDNEY
Sam Wicks
Forward/midfielder

Played some really good footy for the Swans reserves and after earning himself a NEAFL Rising Star nomination, was a member of their losing Grand Final side. A small forward who can play as an outside midfielder, Wicks has speed and endurance and is ultra competitive.

Nick Blakey
Forward

A key forward with the versatility to play as a midfielder, Blakey's key attribute is his overhead marking. Inherited his father's running ability and is sure to have all three clubs (Brisbane Lions, North Melbourne and Sydney) waiting by the phone next year.

Michael Carroll
Defender

A raw prospect that is developing quickly and really came on in 2017. Has good closing speed and is excellent one-on-one, is aggressive, sure footed, and is a good size for a key defender. Was about best on ground for Pennant Hills in their Grand Final win this year.

Conor Flanagan
Defender/midfielder

Reads the play extremely well and a standout in the Swans academy in terms of his professionalism towards his footy. A very handy role player because of his competitiveness and elite endurance.

Jack Hardman
Forward

A powerful small forward with a big vertical leap and speed, but needs to work on his endurance and skills over the next 12 months. Has the ingredients to attract plenty of recruiters.

hardman281117.jpg

You prove nothing about your list unless you win the flag.

We fought tooth and nail to win games with Brad Scott straight off the bat, admittedly playing a very inexperienced midfield. Cunnington, Ziebell, Bastinac, Greenwood.

Show me the articles that splooged over our list then, or even after the odd finals win?

Would you really want to re-live the last 15 years of results and ladder finishes? I wouldn't.

What would I do differently? Tank for a top 3 pick next year and hope like * it pays off with a repeat all Australian match winning star, that MAY be the difference.

We look to have some exciting kids, but some just won't make it for whatever reason.

You bring a few potential guns in, top 5 picks in, the media start to wet themselves cos a glance at the draft is as deep as their research goes. So the media jump on board.

Then, the kid might actually look good on game day, so the club can now sell hope, the players around him can see it too. So they start to walk a bit taller, the morale lifts, the net effect of a gun player defies logic

...The crowd size might even go up... All sorts of wierd s**t this club hasn't experienced since the 90's.

Get the gun players in. We can't buy 'em, so we have to draft em.

2019, Cameron Joyce to Josh Kelly, "So, Josh, are you ready to jump ship? Things have really changed here, we got this kid at pick 14, looks like a real goer. A few weaknesses but the way his working through it in the two's is a real testamentt to his work ethic. I think there's a player there I really do mate.

There's a few other guys, don't believe what you read, some real gems can be found in the rookie draft these days. Plus, there's that 7 win season we had last year. Nothing to be sneezed at there let me tell you.

And, if you remember back to the end of 2017, we won that game away. Away mate! Against an interstate opponent. Last game of the season, hot, sunny, I think it was sunny, last game of the year mate, we took it right up to em then crushed em.

The boys still talk about it, to this day. The bond that came from that win Josh, was just,...just so bonding mate." *Throat swells*

"We will need to trade for you Josh, and that's going to be tough. We have pick 12. Pick 12 wont get it done so we will be selling our future some what. But hey, you are our future Josh so it's win win...win. Right? Am I right Josh? "

Calder Cannons 2018 prospects

2018 Preview:

Looking ahead to 2018, Calder Cannons have three leading prospects who are likely to have plenty of eyes on them throughout the 2018 season. The top one is Jack Bytel who honestly could have been drafted this year based on his performances. Others who could go high in the draft are Curtis Taylor and Rhylee West, while there are four others who performed strongly in 2017 and could be worth a look, including Essendon father-son prospect Mason Fletcher (son of Dustin).

Jack Bytel (Calder Cannons) 188cm | 79kg | Inside Midfielder
2017 TAC Cup: (10) 24.5 disposals | 3.5 marks | 5.1 tackles | 5.8 clearances | 47% KE | 67% DE | 50% CP

One of many in the mix to be top 10, but with the strength of the 2018 draft, could be a first rounder and a great value at that. Still a long way out from the draft, but any bottom-ager who can average 24.5 disposals, 5.8 clearances and lay 5.1 tackles per game is something special. He is the one to watch from the Cannons and looking forward to see him continue his great work on the inside.

Curtis Taylor (Calder Cannons) 186cm | 74kg | Balanced Midfielder
2017 TAC Cup:
(9) 16.6 disposals | 5 marks | 2.8 tackles | 1.7 clearances | 61% KE | 70% DE | 42% CP

Curtis Taylor is a really solid kick, spreads well and a good size. He did well in his nine games as a bottom-ager and he will be looking to become a key cog in the Cannons midfield next season. He was one that stood out in the opening game of the season against the Eastern Ranges at RAMS Arena so it will be good to see how he develops and will be a potential top 10 pick, some believe he will be the first Cannon picked.

Rhylee West (Calder Cannons) 180cm | 80kg | Inside Midfielder
2017 TAC Cup:
(5) 16.2 disposals | 3.8 marks | 4.6 tackles | 3.6 clearances | 50% KE | 59% DE | 48% CP

A name every Western Bulldogs fan will be keen to keep an eye on. He was a top performer at the National Under 16 Championships last year and managed five games in the TAC Cup when he was not playing school footy, in 2017. He is on the shorter side, but has a ready-made body and is really strong on the inside. Expect him to play a great role and with Bytel and Taylor form a pretty formidable trio.

Others to keep an eye on:

Tye Browning (Calder Cannons) 182cm | 75kg | Outside Midfielder
2017 TAC Cup: (16) 12 disposals | 3.9 marks | 2.6 tackles | 0.8 clearances | 2 inside 50s | 59% KE | 62% DE | 37% CP

Jack Evans (Calder Cannons) 186cm | 79kg | Medium Utility
2017 TAC Cup: 9.7 disposals | 2.3 marks | 3.4 tackles | 1 hitout | 1.3 rebounds | 53% KE | 61% DE | 49% CP

Mason Fletcher (Calder Cannons) 197cm | 75kg | Key Position Defender
2017 TAC Cup: (10) 9.3 disposals | 3.1 marks | 1.7 tackles | 3 rebounds | 75% KE | 76% DE | 31% CP

Lachlan Sholl (Calder Cannons) 185cm | 69kg | Balanced Midfielder/General Defender
2017 TAC Cup:
(14) 18.4 disposals | 3.6 marks | 2.4 tackles | 1.2 clearances | 1.8 inside 50s | 2.1 rebounds | 58% KE | 64% DE | 43% CP

Bendigo Pioneers 2018 Preview:

Looking ahead to 2018, the Pioneers might not have the bucketload of talent they had in 2017, but there are still a couple of top-end prospects from which are likely to go high on draft night. Leading the way are Jye Caldwell and Jacob Atley who the former has been touted as a top picks since the under 16s, while Atley has been consistent over the past couple of seasons.

Jacob Atley (Bendigo Pioneers) 189cm | 75kg | General Defender
2017 TAC Cup: (14) 16.8 disposals | 5.9 marks | 2.4 tackles | 3.5 rebounds | 59% KE | 62% DE | 41% CP

Atley is a clean mover who knows how to find the football and was one of the better rebounders in the TAC Cup last season. Expect him to spend time through the midfield in his top-age year and he has a good balance between offensive and defensive traits, providing plenty of drive for the Pioneers.

Jye Caldwell (Bendigo Pioneers) 181cm | 78kg | Inside Midfielder/Forward
2017 TAC Cup: (2) 17.7 disposals | 2.7 marks | 5.3 tackles | 3.3 clearances | 76% KE | 81% DE | 47% CP

Caldwell is a special talent and could well go top 10 on draft night with a consistent season. A lovely kick of the football and a high contested possession rate at the same time, Caldwell mostly played forward when representing Vic Country at the National Under 18 Championships, but is expected to be more of an inside midfielder next season. He tackles hard, wins the clearances and is so balanced inside or out so it is not hard to see why he is a promising prospect.

Daine Grace (Bendigo Pioneers) 195cm | 79kg | Key Position Forward
2017 TAC Cup: (7) 4 disposals | 2.1 marks | 1.6 hitouts } 0.6 goals | 50% KE | 71% DE | 61% CP

Liam Marciano (Bendigo Pioneers) 173cm | 62kg | Outside Midfielder
2017 TAC Cup: (6) 19 disposals | 4.3 marks | 2.7 tackles | 2.5 inside 50s | 55% KE | 68% DE | 28% CP

Phill Moimoi (Bendigo Pioneers) 181cm | 83kg | Outside Midfielder/Forward
2017 TAC Cup: (6) 9.8 disposals | 3.8 marks | 1.8 tackles | 1.5 inside 50s | 46% KE | 54% DE | 38% CP

2019, Cameron Joyce to Josh Kelly, "So, Josh, are you ready to jump ship? Things have really changed here, we got this kid at pick 14, looks like a real goer. A few weaknesses but the way his working through it in the two's is a real testamentt to his work ethic. I think there's a player there I really do mate.

There's a few other guys, don't believe what you read, some real gems can be found in the rookie draft these days. Plus, there's that 7 win season we had last year. Nothing to be sneezed at there let me tell you.

And, if you remember back to the end of 2017, we won that game away. Away mate! Against an interstate opponent. Last game of the season, hot, sunny, I think it was sunny, last game of the year mate, we took it right up to em then crushed em.

The boys still talk about it, to this day. The bond that came from that win Josh, was just,...just so bonding mate." *Throat swells*

"We will need to trade for you Josh, and that's going to be tough. We have pick 12. Pick 12 wont get it done so we will be selling our future some what. But hey, you are our future Josh so it's win win...win. Right? Am I right Josh? "
Needs more "obviously"

Calder Cannons 2018 prospects

2018 Preview:

Looking ahead to 2018, Calder Cannons have three leading prospects who are likely to have plenty of eyes on them throughout the 2018 season. The top one is Jack Bytel who honestly could have been drafted this year based on his performances. Others who could go high in the draft are Curtis Taylor and Rhylee West, while there are four others who performed strongly in 2017 and could be worth a look, including Essendon father-son prospect Mason Fletcher (son of Dustin).

Jack Bytel (Calder Cannons) 188cm | 79kg | Inside Midfielder
2017 TAC Cup: (10) 24.5 disposals | 3.5 marks | 5.1 tackles | 5.8 clearances | 47% KE | 67% DE | 50% CP

One of many in the mix to be top 10, but with the strength of the 2018 draft, could be a first rounder and a great value at that. Still a long way out from the draft, but any bottom-ager who can average 24.5 disposals, 5.8 clearances and lay 5.1 tackles per game is something special. He is the one to watch from the Cannons and looking forward to see him continue his great work on the inside.

Curtis Taylor (Calder Cannons) 186cm | 74kg | Balanced Midfielder
2017 TAC Cup:
(9) 16.6 disposals | 5 marks | 2.8 tackles | 1.7 clearances | 61% KE | 70% DE | 42% CP

Curtis Taylor is a really solid kick, spreads well and a good size. He did well in his nine games as a bottom-ager and he will be looking to become a key cog in the Cannons midfield next season. He was one that stood out in the opening game of the season against the Eastern Ranges at RAMS Arena so it will be good to see how he develops and will be a potential top 10 pick, some believe he will be the first Cannon picked.

Rhylee West (Calder Cannons) 180cm | 80kg | Inside Midfielder
2017 TAC Cup:
(5) 16.2 disposals | 3.8 marks | 4.6 tackles | 3.6 clearances | 50% KE | 59% DE | 48% CP

A name every Western Bulldogs fan will be keen to keep an eye on. He was a top performer at the National Under 16 Championships last year and managed five games in the TAC Cup when he was not playing school footy, in 2017. He is on the shorter side, but has a ready-made body and is really strong on the inside. Expect him to play a great role and with Bytel and Taylor form a pretty formidable trio.

Tye Browning (Calder Cannons) 182cm | 75kg | Outside Midfielder
2017 TAC Cup: (16) 12 disposals | 3.9 marks | 2.6 tackles | 0.8 clearances | 2 inside 50s | 59% KE | 62% DE | 37% CP

Jack Evans (Calder Cannons) 186cm | 79kg | Medium Utility
2017 TAC Cup: 9.7 disposals | 2.3 marks | 3.4 tackles | 1 hitout | 1.3 rebounds | 53% KE | 61% DE | 49% CP

Mason Fletcher (Calder Cannons) 197cm | 75kg | Key Position Defender
2017 TAC Cup: (10) 9.3 disposals | 3.1 marks | 1.7 tackles | 3 rebounds | 75% KE | 76% DE | 31% CP

Lachlan Sholl (Calder Cannons) 185cm | 69kg | Balanced Midfielder/General Defender
2017 TAC Cup:
(14) 18.4 disposals | 3.6 marks | 2.4 tackles | 1.2 clearances | 1.8 inside 50s | 2.1 rebounds | 58% KE | 64% DE | 43% CP
Lachlan Sholl a F/S option or no relation to Craig?

You prove nothing about your list unless you win the flag.

We fought tooth and nail to win games with Brad Scott straight off the bat, admittedly playing a very inexperienced midfield. Cunnington, Ziebell, Bastinac, Greenwood.

Show me the articles that splooged over our list then, or even after the odd finals win?

Would you really want to re-live the last 15 years of results and ladder finishes? I wouldn't.

What would I do differently? Tank for a top 3 pick next year and hope like **** it pays off with a repeat all Australian match winning star, that MAY be the difference.

We look to have some exciting kids, but some just won't make it for whatever reason.

You bring a few potential guns in, top 5 picks in, the media start to wet themselves cos a glance at the draft is as deep as their research goes. So the media jump on board.

Then, the kid might actually look good on game day, so the club can now sell hope, the players around him can see it too. So they start to walk a bit taller, the morale lifts, the net effect of a gun player defies logic

...The crowd size might even go up... All sorts of wierd s**t this club hasn't experienced since the 90's.

Get the gun players in. We can't buy 'em, so we have to draft em.
There are a number of things that can be done differently other than just tank for an entire year in the hope of getting a pick 3 to improve the side.

Deliberately tanking for a whole season is the way that Melbourne, Carlton and others have done before - its the grass is always greener argument and it very rarely works (by itself).

Can you imagine if we tanked from the first game what impact that would have on culture, team dynamics, media views of us, sponsors, memberships.

Rather than just giving up in the hope of high draft picks the other things that can be done to promote elite on field performance are more aggressive approaches to trading and drafting; different coaching styles, culture, playing styles, different on field leadership. All these factors need to be tried before the 'nuclear option' of wholesale tanking from game 1 is tried.

We didn't tank for just one game last year when would have landed pick 1 and 18 - if we didn't do it then we aint doing it for a whole year next year.

Rather than just giving up in the hope of high draft picks the other things that can be done to promote elite on field performance are

more aggressive approaches to trading and drafting.

Done. 2 billion offered. Net return zero.

different coaching styles,

******* aye, let's move Brad on stat.

gameplans etc.

We've had several "let's try this" gameplans. My favourite, "we have a team off wood ducks who can't kick, let's ban kicking and go end to end by hand."

All these factors need to be tried before the 'nuclear option' of wholesale tanking from game 1 is tried.

How many years Brad been there? Pretty sure he tried a few things in this time. ... James brayshaw stated "we overachieved" ... This can only be seen as an admission of a lack of a grade talent.

We didn't tank for just one game last year when would have landed pick 1 and 18 - if we didn't do it then we aint doing it for a whole year next year.

I quite enjoyed the close losses. I don't want to see a bunch of success hats. I understand the five line between "close losses" and ******* The competitive spirit right up.

That said, a bigger picture approach is required. We are at a low ebb, Make the most of it by bringing in the best available. Super draft is on offer, don't shoot ourselves in the foot with a few wins over Carlton Brisbane and gc.

We are known as the 'almost' team. I'm sick of it. Build an Elite core to compliment the best we currently have. We deserve it, the players deserve it.

You get your aggressive trading on the way up, when the media is frothin over the new toys.

The worst thing we can do next year is win more than 6 games.

Think long term.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back