Mod. Notice 2018 AFLW - Critics get your fill here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Also contribute to a billion dollar tv deal.
Doesn't work like that in any other industry. If BHPs oil division is making a loss, and it's iron ore division is making a fortune, do the oil division people not get paid?

You can get out of oil, stay in it and try to make a go of it, what you cannot do is say, sorry, you aren't profitable for us so you have to work for nothing.

Your argument is also more rediculous than that. The AFL are the ones who decided the gate was free, and who negotiated the tv deal. They did both because they decided the profile of the league was more important than short term cash. So using lack of cashflow of the league to say AFLW players shouldn't be paid is circular.

It's like BHP slashing the price of its oil for market share, not making any money as a consequence, then using the lack of cash flow to justify not paying workers.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Doesn't work like that in any other industry. If BHPs oil division is making a loss, and it's iron ore division is making a fortune, do the oil division people not get paid?

You can get out of oil, stay in it and try to make a go of it, what you cannot do is say, sorry, you aren't profitable for us so you have to work for nothing.

Your argument is also more rediculous than that. The AFL are the ones who decided the gate was free, and who negotiated the tv deal. They did both because they decided the profile of the league was more important than short term cash. So using lack of cashflow of the league to say AFLW players shouldn't be paid is circular.

It's like BHP slashing the price of its oil for market share, not making any money as a consequence, then using the lack of cash flow to justify not paying workers.

Oh great this Nuffy argument again. The AFL governs leagues all through Victoria with many players on less than the AFLW. Why aren't reserves footballers in division 2 Yarra Ranges league payed as much as the AFL stars?

Oh great this Nuffy argument again. The AFL governs leagues all through Victoria with many players on less than the AFLW. Why aren't reserves footballers in division 2 Yarra Ranges league payed as much as the AFL stars?
Because reserves div 2 Yarra Ranges. Or so they have contracts with the AFL? Wasn't aware of that.

I understand what you are trying to say but BHP would sack a % of it's work force to cut costs back to the bone. Employees would be put off and a skeleton staff would preside over BHP's oil interests because there is a business cycle and until that changed employee numbers would be low in the sector. BHP does not set Oil prices. The Analogy does not work. AFLW players should be paid...however as time rolls on and the standard gets better they may be better paid but I think we are a long way off a professional league. It's a league in it's infancy only time will tell whether or not it has a legitimate future.

I understand what you are trying to say but BHP would sack a % of it's work force to cut costs back to the bone. Employees would be put off and a skeleton staff would preside over BHP's oil interests because there is a business cycle and until that changed employee numbers would be low in the sector. BHP does not set Oil prices. The Analogy does not work. AFLW players should be paid...however as time rolls on and the standard gets better they may be better paid but I think we are a long way off a professional league. It's a league in it's infancy only time will tell whether or not it has a legitimate future.
I agree with you. I think they are some time off ever being in a position to go full time professional, it may never occur. I was countering the argument they didn't deserve to be paid when the league didn't make money, which to a degree is the result of conscious choices of the AFL.

The argument that there are many male players better than the AFLW players, who do not get paid, and therefore the female players should not get paid is also weak. The AFLW is put on directly by the countries largest professional sports organisation for strategic reasons, that even if others do not agree with, the AFL does. Business engaged in activities for strategic reasons rather than immediate cash flow reasons still pay the going rate for them. Yarra rangers reserves were not created by the AFL for strategic reasons, its grass roots footy for people that want to play grass roots footy.

Ultimately, the AFL is in the business of pro sport, and AFLW players are getting paid because the AFL chose to create a semi pro womens football league. When someone decides they want to pay for a semi pro Yarra Ranges reserves comp, they will get paid too. AFLW will go fully pro the year the AFL decides to pay them a full pro wage, and not a day before, or a day after.

So with the addition of 2 new teams and influx of new players, will the AFLW competition/skills improve/stay the same/decline in 2019?

I'm guessing similar to this year, with a heavy emphasis from the AFL that teams don't play ultra-defensive football. Especially for the opening game.

So with the addition of 2 new teams and influx of new players, will the AFLW competition/skills improve/stay the same/decline in 2019?
It'll improve. Another batch of players who came through youth development pathways. Those in the know reckon that the draft pool is going to be stronger this year than last year. The simple uptake of participation, the 22% growth, means that the talent pool is there. That being said - the growth/improvement in quality of play will not be as large from next year to this, as this year was to the last.

Improve IMO.

Each current player will have an extra preseason/full year of preparation under the belt, while the new players coming in will be match ready too.

Addition of 2 teams will slow it down, but still be improving on recent years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see that the grand final failed to rate anything decent. Maybe the AFL could try a night grand final and aim for better ratings next year!

Use AFLW as a test for an AFLM night grand final!

People know the product is very average. Was it 7 goals for the entire game?

I'm guessing similar to this year, with a heavy emphasis from the AFL that teams don't play ultra-defensive football. Especially for the opening game.
It will definitely improve.

Apart from a batch of much better & larger no. Academy/TAC 18 y.o.'s starting in the 2019 AFLW, the AFL will "lay down the law" to the troglodyte coaches.
The MASSIVE, constant flooding will no longer be tolerated. More goals will be kicked, with more free flowing & attractive AF being played.

The AFL, I assume, would have been spooked by the big decline in AFLW 2018 Ratings.
A continuing Ratings decline will kill chances of a full time professional AFLW. Fans, in summer AFLW, want to see AF SKILLS (but they are not expecting AFL levels) - not rugby-style tackleball, & multiple stoppages.
Broadcasters want more goals -for more ad breaks, increasing the value of the Rights.

Last edited:

Apart from a batch of much better & larger no. Academy/TAC 18 y.o.'s starting in the 2019 AFLW, the AFL will "lay down the law" to the troglodyte coaches.
The MASSIVE, constant flooding will no longer be tolerated.
More goals will be kicked, with more free flowing & attractive AF being played.

The AFL, I assume, would have been spooked by the big decline in AFLW 2018 Ratings.
A continuing Ratings decline will kill chances of a full time professional AFLW. Fans, in summer AFLW, want to see AF SKILLS (but they are not expecting AFL levels) - not rugby-style tackleball, & multiple stoppages.
Broadcasters want more goals -for more ad breaks, increasing the value of the Rights.

So, bud, in other words, the AFL/sponsors/TV set the rules for this new game of AFLW, and all those troglodyte coaches will be fined, or fired, or something if they do their work as coaches. Which, last time I looked, was to win games. At least, that is usually the case in Australian Rules Football.

Unless you are coaching the Under 10's. Who don't charge attendance fees.

Be careful what you wish for.

So, bud, in other words, the AFL/sponsors/TV set the rules for this new game of AFLW, and all those troglodyte coaches will be fined, or fired, or something if they do their work as coaches. Which, last time I looked, was to win games. At least, that is usually the case in Australian Rules Football.

Unless you are coaching the Under 10's. Who don't charge attendance fees.

Be careful what you wish for.
The AFL sets the Rules, AND spirit of the game -no one else.
The AFL Commission in 2014 also established The Charter Of The Game -defining the essence of AF: this includes, generally, free flowing & continuous football, with "an attacking style of game" ie the opposite of massive, continuous flooding.
Any sport can direct its Officials to coach the game with a philosophy/spirit that the sport sees fit. A sport can also change its Rules to achieve these objectives.

Only recently, cricket in Australia is experiencing much public disquiet over sledging/verbal abuse of opponents (at both professional & amateur level).
And, of course, the infamous 1980's underarm along-the-ground bowling by Aust. V. NZ.

No sport should simply be about "winning at all costs".

Last edited:

The MASSIVE, constant flooding will no longer be tolerated. More goals will be kicked, with more free flowing & attractive AF being played.

I think the decline was, or at least should have been expected. Ratings were really high for the early games for the `novelty` factor. I would be interested in comparing the last 2 or 3 games of each season, as I think they would be more an accurate reflection, but cannot find the info. I dont think they are panicking.

I also think people may overestimate the impact 2 new teams has on the quality. I expect quality to still improve quite a bit.
Firstly, the most experienced AFLW players out there have 14 senior games. Many are still in single digits. Add in that 2 AFLW preseasons add up to less than 1 AFL preseason. Also, 15 contact hours a week means the women get the sort of coaching contact time in the whole season, including preseason, that the men get in 4 or 5 seeks.

By male standards, they are all still raw rookies. This means, even established players have lots of improvement in them.
As has been pointed out above, next year is expected to be the first mini super draft for the women, and while some teams will hurt from losing stars, I think every club will still expect to improve the bottom players on its list significantly.

Coaching will improve again. This will be firstly, because they have had another 7 rounds to look at (coaches are all rookies at AFLW to). Game plans were altered after season 1, they will be altered again after season 2, and be better suited to the players. I also think clubs will have noted the success GWS got by appointing Alan McConnell. Good experienced coaching may have more impact in AFLW than it does in AFL.

More experience in the best players + influx of younger players with a background in elite development + pushing the bottom players off each list + further refined game plans + further refinement in what training the women need + more work in getting coaching panels right = more improvement than will be lost by dilution of talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back