List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Injury payments are killing our salary cap. If we bring in Mumford to play 2 out of 3 weeks we cant afford to carry injury plagued guys on the list as well.
I dont get how? Contracts do continue to be paid for injured players, minus any match payments. Any player injured for more than 6 weeks next year can be replaced from a rookie upgrade with the difference in payments outside the cap.

I get it hurts us not having all players available every week, but not how it hurts the cap.

I dont get how? Contracts do continue to be paid for injured players, minus any match payments. Any player injured for more than 6 weeks next year can be replaced from a rookie upgrade with the difference in payments outside the cap.

I get it hurts us not having all players available every week, but not how it hurts the cap.
Multiple ways (all IIRC):
  1. Most/all players have per-game payments. An injured player gets paid for games they miss, but so does whoever replaces them. This all comes under the cap.
  2. Rookies only get a set amount kept outside the cap, equivalent to the base contract of the 40th pick or thereabouts. Per-game payments for injury replacement games can bring them above that amount and the leftover then comes under the cap.
I don't think it affects AFL teams, including us, a great deal but it does impact on the cap. The NRL has a similar setup, but it can often have more of an effect on their teams because they have more injuries, smaller lists and smaller cap sizes.

1. Most/all players have per-game payments. An injured player gets paid for games they miss, but so does whoever replaces them. This all comes under the cap.
  2. Rookies only get a set amount kept outside the cap, equivalent to the base contract of the 40th pick or thereabouts. Per-game payments for injury replacement games can bring them above that amount and the leftover then comes under the cap.
I don't think it affects AFL teams, including us, a great deal but it does impact on the cap. The NRL has a similar setup, but it can often have more of an effect on their teams because they have more injuries, smaller lists and smaller cap sizes.
I assumed you only got match payments if you played. How do you decide if a marginal player would have played? Or are match payments simply made anyway regardless of if the player plays? The agreement you provided says senior games so I'm assuming NEAFL doesn't count.

If a player is moved to the long term injury list then it's clear that there's no impact on the cap regardless in what I read. If a rookie replaces them.

I assumed you only got match payments if you played. How do you decide if a marginal player would have played? Or are match payments simply made anyway regardless of if the player plays? The agreement you provided says senior games so I'm assuming NEAFL doesn't count.

Definitely senior games only. My understanding is that it applies if the most recent game played is a senior game, e.g. the injury happened in an AFL game or in practice after playing in the most recent AFL game.

Realistically fringe players won't cause issues because double dipping on two fringe players isn't a big deal. It's a Toby Greene + Griffen + fringe player type scenario when it starts adding up.

Definitely senior games only. My understanding is that it applies if the most recent game played is a senior game, e.g. the injury happened in an AFL game or in practice after playing in the most recent AFL game.

Realistically fringe players won't cause issues because double dipping on two fringe players isn't a big deal. It's a Toby Greene + Griffen + fringe player type scenario when it starts adding up.
Thanks
I'm trying to get my head around it. Still much reading to do.

The Giants are in a tricky position, because the view of most is there is a gap between the top eight prospects in the draft pool and the rest. And while there are some circumstances that may see a player like Ben King slip down to Pick 9, it seems like their first pick will have to come from outside those top eight picks. West Australian Jordan Clark excelled in the second half of the season, averaging 15.2 disposals in his five WAFL League matches — having won the WA Under 18 MVP at the Under 18 Championships. Inside midfielder Jackson Hately could also be an option, after the Giants saw that area weakened during the trade period. Academy prospect Kieren Briggs could be bid on in the second round.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...k/news-story/081efba0341aa28af27e5f0ae63feebc

Personally as good as Jordan Clark looks reckon we will go the pure midfield route and for what its worth wouldn't mind seeing the following if we hold onto our current picks

9 Riley Collier-Dawkins
11 Zac Butters
19 Ian Hill
25 Ely Smith (liking the idea of bringing home the former giants academy member and west syd kid)
52 Briggs
89 Lloyd Rookie Promotion
DFA Sheridan
Rookie Mumford/Zac Clarke

Last edited:
Is there any chance for Sheridan or Murdoch from Geelong. We could try to swap picks 9,19 for something higher, is there any merit in that or likely takers. If not, there will be good players outside the top 8. Look at 2006 draft, the big 4 were Gibbs, gumbleton hansen, luenberger.

I would think that Saints wouldn't want to trade out of a top 4 spot, and it would cost us too much to do so. Our #9 + #11 would be needed; which I'd do if we had a good feeling that either Izak Rankine or Bailey Smith would stay - but I don't. Gold Coast probably wouldn't move from #6 either, or want a 2019 pick plus #9 for their #6.

I'm similar to CmC in what I think is likely to happen, although slightly different player selection preference in the ND; 5 selections + a DFA + a rookie upgrade + rookie selection of a ruck. I'd prefer DFAs Bugg or Sheridan before Murdoch. We may wait to see who we get in the ND and use the rookie draft.

I'd be looking at RCD (although I'm not convinced he's a top 10 draftee), Duursma, Clark, maybe Hill (again, have some misgivings), O'Halloran & Ely Smith in the 9 to 26ish range.

The club does have a good position to be able to move up the draft order but it is just if other clubs would be willing to give a higher pick up and also taking into account the SA clubs trying to move up with the strong draft hand they have
Saints #4 I don't think the picks the giants have would be enough and they need the high draft pick to sell hope to supporters
Dogs #7 If the Dogs are looking for multiple picks high up in the draft I am sure a deal could be worked out #9 + #25 for #7 or #11 and #19 with maybe some later pick swaps to even it out
Cats #12 Similar to the Saints in that they will need the high pick to get some top end young talent on the list
Tigers #17 Unlikely and not much difference between #17 and #19 as the player the club is interested could be taken before then
I think the club will wait until closer to the draft and then work out where its targets are likely to be taken and try and ensure the picks are enough
I think most supporters are keen on a mature DFA and I think it is a question of who the club picks up and at what stage they are taken. Sheridan would add that depth and would be a solid player and I am sure he would get game time I think the question is if the club could afford what he would want and if it can compare to any offers he may get from Vic clubs.

I would think that Saints wouldn't want to trade out of a top 4 spot, and it would cost us too much to do so. Our #9 + #11 would be needed; which I'd do if we had a good feeling that either Izak Rankine or Bailey Smith would stay - but I don't. Gold Coast probably wouldn't move from #6 either, or want a 2019 pick plus #9 for their #6.

I'm similar to CmC in what I think is likely to happen, although slightly different player selection preference in the ND; 5 selections + a DFA + a rookie upgrade + rookie selection of a ruck. I'd prefer DFAs Bugg or Sheridan before Murdoch. We may wait to see who we get in the ND and use the rookie draft.

I'd be looking at RCD (although I'm not convinced he's a top 10 draftee), Duursma, Clark, maybe Hill (again, have some misgivings), O'Halloran & Ely Smith in the 9 to 26ish range.

i think RCD looks like he could be a fail, I think he is one who dominated lower leagues because of his size rather than skill and he may take a few years to fill out his body and I see him as someone who goes around #15-#20 and I think O'Halloran is a better option and is someone who will be able to impact games sooner than RCD. How I rate the options around the clubs picks is
Caldwell
Duursma
Clark
Stocker
These 4 for the clubs first picks and then the 2 later
O'Halloran
Ely Smith/Sam Sturt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think given our position in the draft it’s important not to be too opinionated or wedded to any particular players.

From all reports it’s a draft with elite talent in the top 8 and then a nice even section from 9-30.

Given there is such a number of players in that part where we have 4 picks there will be some jewels and busts. I reckon speculating on who will work and who won’t is a bit futile given the players and environments will change so much.

I would love us to focus on some faster players because we have lost two of our quickest guys, but also appreciate we also have some other needs.

RE Collier-Dawkins, no idea whether he makes it or not but on face value he looks a nice replacement for Setterfield. Looks tall and seems to get the ball away a bit like Clayton Oliver.

Time will tell just how keen we are but would certainly add some speed
GUN midfield prospect Chayce Jones looms as this year’s shock draft bolter, with the Tasmanian rocketing into top-10 calculations with under a month to go until the national AFL draft.
Several AFL clubs are scheduled to visit Jones’ home in coming weeks as various recruiting departments closely consider the midfielder, who has been invited to Marvel Stadium to attend the draft on November 22. Foxfooty.com.au understands Adelaide (Pick 8 and 13), GWS Giants (9 and 11), Port Adelaide (10) and Geelong (12) are the clubs in the mix to snare the 180cm prospect, who had a fine top-age season with various sides.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/269fffca66e9d098cab74cb8893a0f59

With first list lodgements now in, your have to say that ours is pretty much the most stable in the league, along with Essendon

In terms of player losses (through retirement, trade or delistment)

6 - Essendon
7 - GWS
8 - Collingwood / Freo
9 - Adelaide / St Kilda / West Coast
10 - Brisbane / Port / Richmond / Dogs
11 - Geelong / Melbourne
12 - Carlton / North

16 - Gold Coast

In terms of players added to the list from outside

0 - GWS
1 - Essendon / Richmond / West Coast
2 - Adelaide / Collingwood / St Kilda / Sydney / Dogs
3 - Brisbane / Geelong / Hawthorn / Melbourne / Port
4 - Carlton / North / Freo

7 - Gold Coast

Compared to some.... very minimal changes / low turnover = stable list = window still well and truly open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back