List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking as an impartial lurker, I'd say you guys can't afford to abuse and alienate potential new posters - which you do a lot. You seem to have a culture of suspicion and hostility to anyone outside your own VERY tight knit community which you could fit in a phone box. GWS has the smallest Bigfooty community of all the 18 clubs. Pretty obvious why. Just saying.
We also have allot of alts that come in here to troll.

They are easy to tell apart and are treated accordingly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Speaking as an impartial lurker, I'd say you guys can't afford to abuse and alienate potential new posters - which you do a lot. You seem to have a culture of suspicion and hostility to anyone outside your own VERY tight knit community which you could fit in a phone box. GWS has the smallest Bigfooty community of all the 18 clubs. Pretty obvious why. Just saying.

Why be a lurker, why not join in and actively post? You’re more than welcome to. Everyone is.

But when you’ve put up with the kind of s#*t we have over the past 6 years, with large numbers of posters questioning our right to even exist - even this far down the line - and doing little else than rubbishing our club, can you blame us for being a little suspicious and hesitant?

And when someone turns up with a username like “I Hate The Giants” sorry, “Giant Mistake” then I think we’re allowed to question their intent.

But in short, don’t just lurk, join in.

On the contrary. This board would have the highest rate of non-Giants fans who contribute regularly. Natural that would be the case because a decent share of Giants fans are ex pats from AFL states, such as myself.

There is some protectiveness about the club and people don’t usually like to see things which are overly critical. By contrast at the AFC board the culture is very different and there is heavy criticism of the club. I don’t frequent other club boards but it wouldn’t surprise me if they are more like AFC in that regard.

Point is it has zero to do with whether people are outsiders or not.

I do think your choice of words “abuse and alienate” is pretty over the top. There’s far less abuse on this board than any other.

It’s even more odd that you might suggest the low volume of posts on this board is due to this. Plainly it is because the club has been around for 5 minutes, has a relatively small member base. Pretty disingenuous of you to try to make that connection, I hope you don’t really feel that way.

If you are a fan or an interested onlooker then I hope you will contribute your thoughts.

Thanks for that valuable feedback.

Now f*ck off.

What examples do you have of this happening a lot?

Trolls that come here are dealt with accordingly, poster’s with meaningful contributions are encouraged.

We don’t really appreciate the patronising know-it-all attitude however. Following an established or older club doesn’t give you any more credence or relevance, particularly here.

If you don’t like it here there are plenty of other forums to lurk in, but if you want spirited debate without conditions than post away.

I tend to agree with the Bonar/Daniels selection rather than picking Higgins at 10.I haven't seen any of them live so I'm not sure my opinion counts. Time will tell.Bonar does appear to have the bigger upside though
I'm also not sure if small forwards will still be flavour of the month this time next year.Worked in2017for the Tigers but really the Crows were the better team for 2017 and in most competitions around the world they would have earnt a home final and we would be analysing the season differently

I tend to agree with the Bonar/Daniels selection rather than picking Higgins at 10.I haven't seen any of them live so I'm not sure my opinion counts. Time will tell.Bonar does appear to have the bigger upside though
I'm also not sure if small forwards will still be flavour of the month this time next year.Worked in2017for the Tigers but really the Crows were the better team for 2017 and in most competitions around the world they would have earnt a home final and we would be analysing the season differently

Not sure why you would think this

Richmond only finished 1/2 game behind Crows on the home away season and the last 10 rounds Richmond were clearly the best performed team in the league ( Crows had more convincing wins at home)

Richmond finished 3rd just 2 points behind the crows and dominated the 3 finals they played against the other 3 final 4 teams, It was the most convincing finals series by a club since 2000 but there last 10-12 weeks of the home and away were just as dominant

GWS would have been premiers if they had beaten Richmond , In regards to earning a home grand final dont you think that the same unequal process also applies to a team like Adelaide having 11 home games in Adelaide where teams need to travel to for the Crows to earn the easy points that got them there ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond only finished 1/2 game behind Crows on the home away season and the last 10 rounds Richmond were clearly the best performed team in the league ( Crows had more convincing wins at home)

Richmond finished 3rd just 2 points behind the crows and dominated the 3 finals they played against the other 3 final 4 teams, It was the most convincing finals series by a club since 2000 but there last 10-12 weeks of the home and away were just as dominant

GWS would have been premiers if they had beaten Richmond , In regards to earning a home grand final dont you think that the same unequal process also applies to a team like Adelaide having 11 home games in Adelaide where teams need to travel to for the Crows to earn the easy points that got them there ?
Richmond were, for mine, the best team all year.

Hello, you appear to have found your way into the Giants list management 2018 discussion thread.

Do you have anything you would like to contribute on topic?

They will be wasting their time.

If we pay the best players $800k you'd expect an offer of that for 2 years early in the season and hopefully that's that. Fingers crossed he's happy being our bastard.

Dark view is we went hard for Kelly and that might have have taught the players to delay and tell their manager to look around as the deal might get better and wont get worse.

Most seem to re-sign quickly at the appropriate time but only Shiel and Haynes were really top bracket last year?

If we pay the best players $800k you'd expect an offer of that for 2 years early in the season and hopefully that's that. Fingers crossed he's happy being our bastard.

Dark view is we went hard for Kelly and that might have have taught the players to delay and tell their manager to look around as the deal might get better and wont get worse.

Most seem to re-sign quickly at the appropriate time but only Shiel and Haynes were really top bracket last year?
We never upped the Kelly offer. He specified for us not to.

We never upped the Kelly offer. He specified for us not to.
You sure?
All the reports were that the club was flexible. I'm a bit cynical of press reports not quoting the club.
The one that suggested we extended Heater and back ended to make space seemed credible with the timing.
Don't think it's ever been confirmed though? I have no specific knowlege.

You sure?
All the reports were that the club was flexible. I'm a bit cynical of press reports not quoting the club.
The one that suggested we extended Heater and back ended to make space seemed credible with the timing.
Don't think it's ever been confirmed though? I have no specific knowlege.
Is this heater and griffens last year?

Is this heater and griffens last year?
Not sure about Heater, whether he extended. He is 32. Same for Griffen, I think He's more popular with the club than most of us.
If your thinking cap space then Taranto, Perryman and Setterfield also have increased payments starting in 2019.

Toby Greene likely to be rewarded with bumper GWS contract in 2018
Jay Clark, Herald Sun
December 27, 2017 6:00pm

GREATER Western Sydney wants to re-sign Toby Greene to a long-term deal which could make the star forward one of its highest-paid players.

Greene will enter the final year of his contract next season and could command as much as $1 million a year, according to Melbourne champion Garry Lyon.

The Giants are keen to lock up the 2016 best-and-fairest winner to a multi-year deal to avoid the Victorian-born goalkicker becoming a free agent in 2019.

His prized signature is a top priority for new list manager Jason McCartneywhen the former Western Bulldogs’ list chief officially commences the new role at GWS in February.

The Giants are confident Greene is in no danger of leaving the club and wants to drive the expansion club towards its first premiership next season.

Greene, who was one of the most dangerous half-forwards in the game last season, already indicated to former list chief Craig Cameron earlier this year he would consider a long-term contract, potentially making Greene a Giant for life.

cb1acfabb148ddfe31c517b9b0a6d44b

Toby Greene kicks a goal at Giants training. Picture: Phil Hillyard
The 24-year-old is happily settled in Sydney approaching his seventh AFL season.

But GWS may yet face a tricky negotiation with the club dealing with a tight salary cap after signing a host of stars including Josh Kelly, Dylan Shiel and Jeremy Cameron to high-end contracts.

Key defender Phil Davis is also out of contract next year along with veteran recruit Ryan Griffen.

Greene would likely command a minimum of $750,000 a year next season, after narrowly missing All-Australian selection this year.

He has booted 89 goals and averaged 20 possessions a game over his past two seasons.

But the No.11 draft pick also needs to tone down the indiscipline which twice cost him a suspension and then a fine for making contact with his boot to Luke Dahlhaus’s face in Round 21.

42022395eb46238f1097fc2ba9df86b0

Toby Greene is one of the game’s most polarising players. Picture: Michael Klein
Lyon said Greene was one of the Giants’ most important and valuable players.

“Toby Greene is the player who I would be throwing all the money at,” Lyon said.

“You need to put Greene in the ‘Buddy’ category for his ability to influence and win games.

“He is more important than Kelly. He is a better player than Kelly because he is multi-dimensional. I’m not knocking Kelly, he is extraordinary. That’s how highly I rate Greene.

“Greene won the game for them, he is a game-winner. He would have to be in the three or four highest paid players at GWS.

“As an open market proposition, he is up there with the very best. He is worth $1 million.”

Toby Greene likely to be rewarded with bumper GWS contract in 2018
Jay Clark, Herald Sun
December 27, 2017 6:00pm

GREATER Western Sydney wants to re-sign Toby Greene to a long-term deal which could make the star forward one of its highest-paid players.

Greene will enter the final year of his contract next season and could command as much as $1 million a year, according to Melbourne champion Garry Lyon.

The Giants are keen to lock up the 2016 best-and-fairest winner to a multi-year deal to avoid the Victorian-born goalkicker becoming a free agent in 2019.

His prized signature is a top priority for new list manager Jason McCartneywhen the former Western Bulldogs’ list chief officially commences the new role at GWS in February.

The Giants are confident Greene is in no danger of leaving the club and wants to drive the expansion club towards its first premiership next season.

Greene, who was one of the most dangerous half-forwards in the game last season, already indicated to former list chief Craig Cameron earlier this year he would consider a long-term contract, potentially making Greene a Giant for life.

cb1acfabb148ddfe31c517b9b0a6d44b

Toby Greene kicks a goal at Giants training. Picture: Phil Hillyard
The 24-year-old is happily settled in Sydney approaching his seventh AFL season.

But GWS may yet face a tricky negotiation with the club dealing with a tight salary cap after signing a host of stars including Josh Kelly, Dylan Shiel and Jeremy Cameron to high-end contracts.

Key defender Phil Davis is also out of contract next year along with veteran recruit Ryan Griffen.

Greene would likely command a minimum of $750,000 a year next season, after narrowly missing All-Australian selection this year.

He has booted 89 goals and averaged 20 possessions a game over his past two seasons.

But the No.11 draft pick also needs to tone down the indiscipline which twice cost him a suspension and then a fine for making contact with his boot to Luke Dahlhaus’s face in Round 21.

42022395eb46238f1097fc2ba9df86b0

Toby Greene is one of the game’s most polarising players. Picture: Michael Klein
Lyon said Greene was one of the Giants’ most important and valuable players.

“Toby Greene is the player who I would be throwing all the money at,” Lyon said.

“You need to put Greene in the ‘Buddy’ category for his ability to influence and win games.

“He is more important than Kelly. He is a better player than Kelly because he is multi-dimensional. I’m not knocking Kelly, he is extraordinary. That’s how highly I rate Greene.

“Greene won the game for them, he is a game-winner. He would have to be in the three or four highest paid players at GWS.

“As an open market proposition, he is up there with the very best. He is worth $1 million.”
That quote from Lyon is from earlier this year.

That quote from Lyon is from earlier this year.
It's an interesting article, but nothing of substance to me.
Pretty sure he'll sign in the end. Players like Jezza and Dylan are worth more than their playing value to the club I think, in marketing. Not sure if Toby fits that category, possibly to adults he does. He's not really a role model for kids, but very important to our flag chances.
It's not like the bean counters didn't know his contract was coming up. I'm sure a fair offer is budgeted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back