List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was never in doubt. Shiel always said he wanted to stay and has never ‘tested’ the waters. Loyalty is rare and he has it in spades

Good news if true! However, Im sure regardless of what anyone says, the vic teams will still imagine a way that they are entitled to shiel and most of our other players.

After todays reports on Shiel what are people thoughts
He will request a trade closer to trade week?
Lobb requests a trade?
Setterfield requests a trade?
No one is traded?

I just don't see the Lobb to Freo or WC link, Hickey and Roughead would seem like better options and Freo need a key forward not a ruck forward and I don't think he would enjoy the Melbourne limelight but I would do a swap with the Crows for Jacobs and some picks being swapped but not likely

well that proves he's definitely happy here at the Giants which is reassuring for us fans that while we had a tough year, players still believe in the club and its values/philosophy :)

if Dylan wasn't happy here, he would've requested a trade in his exit meeting - unless he's trying to do a dodgy and request just before trade week but I don't see Dylan being like that.

its a small win for us, but its a huge middle finger to the Vic Media and fans who just think their entitled to him. Onya Dyl :)

I really didn’t like Finlayson’s attitude in a couple of games this year where he really dropped his head and gave up. No doubt he’s talented but a fresh start for both him and club is probably a good thing.

He needs to work really hard on the mental side of his game or he won’t have much of a career.

Last edited:
Really like the idea of Finlayson for Preuss. Both somewhat unproven at senior level despite glimpses of their potential. Grabbing Preuss also gives us flexibility come trade time with regards to the role of Lobb and Patton next year. With Cameron, HH, Lobb and Patton, one of Lobb/Patton may have to go (personally feel Lobb has more to offer than Patton). No point holding onto afl level players and paying them big money to play as depth in the seconds. Could give us the currency we need to keep our star mids together for longer.

Another player I wouldnt mind us having a punt on if Shiel really gets traded (still holding onto hope he doesnt) is Vandenberg from the Dees. Out of contract end of this year I think and is 26 turning 27 next year. Missed 2017 and a large chunk of 2018 with a stress fracture but after returning has been back to his best. Can be overlooked amidst a very strong Melbourne midfield but is a strong tackler, has great aggression in the way he attacks the ball and not bad with ball in hand. Has pace and going at about a goal a game. In my opinion has been pretty consistent with his performances as well. Not a star by any means but does the in and under stuff very well, would make our team stand taller and could definitely play a role. Shouldnt be too pricey in terms of picks with Melbourne having so many midfield options at the moment.

Last edited:
So what would the value of TOJ be?
Third rounder or a 5-10 pick upgrade of one of our third rounders?
Don't think he has a huge value and I can't see who would be interested in a tall HBF with a good leg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is worse than the AFL journos and again can't see the club interested in anyone except DFA due to the number of players needing salary upgrades next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The importance of quality ruckman was on show last night. And I would take Lobb as a fwd over Mason Cox every day of the week but Grundy is Mr September at the minute.

What last night showed was that Rory needs to be a dominant forward not wasting time as an average ruck.

With his height, leap and contested marking ability he could cause havoc in that role.

Because our mob have been too slow and dare I say arrogant to identify the importance of the ruck position and in spite of all our riches failed to recruit a decent young ruckman we are now poorer for it.

I would try and keep Lobb but play him purely as a forward. If we can’t do that because the Lobb/Cameron combo doesn’t work then he needs to be moved on and we can watch him become a star elsewhere.

He is not a ruckman’s backside.

What last night showed was that Rory needs to be a dominant forward not wasting time as an average ruck.

With his height, leap and contested marking ability he could cause havoc in that role.

Because our mob have been too slow and dare I say arrogant to identify the importance of the ruck position and in spite of all our riches failed to recruit a decent young ruckman we are now poorer for it.

I would try and keep Lobb but play him purely as a forward. If we can’t do that because the Lobb/Cameron combo doesn’t work then he needs to be moved on and we can watch him become a star elsewhere.

He is not a ruckman’s backside.
The surprising thing about Cox last night was as good as he was in the air with his marking, what took his game to the next level was his effort chasing and sticking his tackles and the way he imposed himself aggressively all over the ground. Collingwood also put him on the mark when Richmond was taking set shots - whilst it may not have made a huge difference, the extra height from the man on the mark was just one of the little extras which added more pressure. The team also worked very well together and there was no other real tall forward option getting in his way. He had a good run and leap at the ball every time because the mids placed the ball in front of him and the smaller forwards always opened up a corridor for him to lead through. It allowed him to always be in the contest regardless of the number of Richmond players marking him. The midfield and forward line were very synchronised and definitely on the same page and that is something we need to work on. Still get the feeling we are playing a team of stars who lack cohesion so rather than Lobb playing permanent FF as a fix, the drastic improvement will need to come from our player's (mids and forwards) knowing each other's running and leading patterns. Cameron/Lobb/HH will need to work closely with the small forwards to work out how to create space in a packed forward line so they can relay that message to the mids for the ball to be delivered to their advantage. If we stop overcommitting players to the contest we wont crash into each other spoiling and injuring our own players as much and we will still have players around the ball ready to crumb if the ball falls to the ground.

Last edited:
Well, WCE vs Melbourne showing the converse side of the ruck battle. Gawn destroying Lycett 22-8 in hitouts (8-0 hitouts to advantage), but WCE destroying Melbourne on the scoreboard.

No doubt the midfield and defensive pressure are the two key factors in modern game but it’s not a co-incidence that two of the four preliminary finalists have dominant ruckman.

We stupidly overlooked a champion in Grundy 5 times but can’t get that back. Not saying we can get a champion but what we have doesn’t cut it.

Hit outs to advantage is an overrated stat. Scoring takes more than that but it’s not a bad start!

The surprising thing about Cox last night was as good as he was in the air with his marking, what took his game to the next level was his effort chasing and sticking his tackles and the way he imposed himself aggressively all over the ground. Collingwood also put him on the mark when Richmond was taking set shots - whilst it may not have made a huge difference, the extra height from the man on the mark was just one of the little extras which added more pressure. The team also worked very well together and there was no other real tall forward option getting in his way. He had a good run and leap at the ball every time because the mids placed the ball in front of him and the smaller forwards always opened up a corridor for him to lead through. It allowed him to always be in the contest regardless of the number of Richmond players marking him. The midfield and forward line were very synchronised and definitely on the same page and that is something we need to work on. Still get the feeling we are playing a team of stars who lack cohesion so rather than Lobb playing permanent FF as a fix, the drastic improvement will need to come from our player's (mids and forwards) knowing each other's running and leading patterns. Cameron/Lobb/HH will need to work closely with the small forwards to work out how to create space in a packed forward line so they can relay that message to the mids for the ball to be delivered to their advantage. If we stop overcommitting players to the contest we wont crash into each other spoiling and injuring our own players as much and we will still have players around the ball ready to crumb if the ball falls to the ground.

Not a bad analysis.

But we still need a mobile ruckman. He doesn't have to be a superstar, like Grundy. He just needs to be serviceable, and consistent.

That's all we need to balance the team.

Last edited:
Not a bad analysis.

But we still meed a mobile ruckman. He doesn't have to be a superstar, like Grundy. He just needs to be serviceable, and consistent.

That's all we need to balance the team.
Agreed completely. If we cannot find someone better than Lobb during the trade period to fulltime ruck, unfortunately he may have to stay there. That is, unless we can see big Dawson filling the role for the time being until Flynn is ready.

In the forward line (whether permanent or as a ruckman), if Lobb's strength is contested marks and his height, we need to isolate the matchup and give him the chance and space to do that in the forward line. Maybe one of Cameron or Himmelberg then play higher up as that marking target on the flank or on the wing to create that room.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back