List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear McCartney rule out us paying any of Scully wage if we trade him and also mentioning how some of huns stuff has been bs
Also himself and Paul Connors (his manager) just said they have heard nothing about Patton and he will be at the giants without a doubt

Also said Scully has not come forward and say I want out. He had expressed interest at some stage to go home and it is obviously now being discussed due to salary cap.

But he said Scully is actually very torn because he has an opportunity that he knows he would like one day, but he loves the giants and really wants to stay.

So good to hear.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sanity returning? Starting a thread on the trade board to offer Patton for trade is about the same as someone starting a MB thread to abuse Leon last year.

I think some people have decided to "support" the club in the expectation it will be easy and nothing but success. That was never going to happen.

I hope Scully stays but life goes on. I don't like Dylan and Rory leaving but to me we've reached the point if no return, and I hope the trades are completed quickly now.

It is unclear when Scully will be able to make his playing return.

The Giants are talking to the Hawks about a deal to send Scully to Waverley, helping off-load his salary from the Giants’ tight salary cap.

GWS wants to re-sign Josh Kelly on a deal that is likely to cost the Giants more than $1 million dollars a season.

The relevant section:
Hawthorn is also eyeing GWS Giants wingman Tom Scully and could yet secure him in a trade for pick No.53.

Scully was one of the AFL’s best wingmen in 2017 but he suffered a devastating ankle injury in Round 2 this season, which has delivered a major blow to his trade value.

It is unclear when Scully will be able to make his playing return.

The Giants are talking to the Hawks about a deal to send Scully to Waverley, helping off-load his salary from the Giants’ tight salary cap.

GWS wants to re-sign Josh Kelly on a deal that is likely to cost the Giants more than $1 million dollars a season.

By the end of the trade period we might have a number of picks in the 9-30 range. Who do you think would be good fits at the club in this range?

My likes in order of preference are: Chayce Jones, Duursma, Clark, McHenry, Butters, Cameron, Hill, Stack, RCD, O'Hallaran.
At the pointy end, if we can sneak and trade up for a pick, think Smith and Rankine would be the ones we would go for.

By the end of the trade period we might have a number of picks in the 9-30 range. Who do you think would be good fits at the club in this range?

My likes in order of preference are: Chayce Jones, Duursma, Clark, McHenry, Butters, Cameron, Hill, Stack, RCD, O'Hallaran.
At the pointy end, if we can sneak and trade up for a pick, think Smith and Rankine would be the ones we would go for.
I'm keen on Hately just outside the top 10, but it its a good draft a long way down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm keen on Hately just outside the top 10, but it its a good draft a long way down
Hateley has good hands and endurance but quite ordinary acceleration in my opinion. A sound kick but cant say it is elite. With the SA teams looking to frantically attract back local talent in a couple of years, I could only see Lukosius, Rankine and Rozee worth the risk at this stage. Hateley seems like a composed and strong big bodied mid who does alot of work in the guts but with Bonar already, not sure if we would preference some other players with more acceleration (Jones, Dursma, Cameron, Stack) with good kicking (Clark, Butters). Hill I think has both, but would be wary of his injuries, size and desire to potentially return to Perth.

I
Agree with a lot of kids in this range. Personally I would like someone of the high half forward/wing type like Stephenson rather than the genuine midfielder type.

I think the former has more of a
Chance of having an impact in 2019. Rankine would be the dream but alas

I can't see the club drafting any of the SA talent as I think Davis is the closest to anyone from SA on the list and I do like them but after this year i don't think it is worth the risk and I do like Clark from WA but again pretty much the same reason I couldn't see the club taking that risk.
I think the club will pick up a hybrid mid and then 1 or 2 more outside or mid forwards in the draft depending on the picks it has, some names that i think could be chances:
As the hybrid mids
Jye Caldwell
Liam Stocker
Riley Colliers-Dawkin
The others
Xavier Duursma
Zac Butters
Curtis Taylor
Sam Sturt
Xavier O'Halloran
I think McHenry is more of a small forward and the club is well served for that position and I think other clubs with a more pressing need i that position will take him

I can't see the club drafting any of the SA talent as I think Davis is the closest to anyone from SA on the list and I do like them but after this year i don't think it is worth the risk and I do like Clark from WA but again pretty much the same reason I couldn't see the club taking that risk.
I think the club will pick up a hybrid mid and then 1 or 2 more outside or mid forwards in the draft depending on the picks it has, some names that i think could be chances:
As the hybrid mids
Jye Caldwell
Liam Stocker
Riley Colliers-Dawkin
The others
Xavier Duursma
Zac Butters
Curtis Taylor
Sam Sturt
Xavier O'Halloran
I think McHenry is more of a small forward and the club is well served for that position and I think other clubs with a more pressing need i that position will take him

It's interesting that over the journey we have never drafted an s.a kid, while in most drafts have been happy to pick up w.a kids

Losing Griffen, Shiel, Setterfield and possibly Scully means that our need for midfielders is significant at this draft.
We'll have one eye on Tom Green next year, who's a tall inside midfielder but not quick, so I'd steer clear of Hately this year due to the similarity.
If we keep 9 & 11/14, I'd look at Duursma for a start, and maybe the WA lad Clark, or perhaps Butters. I've cooled on Collier-Dawkins I'll admit but the club may not have.
I'd be amenable if we could do a swap and move up to pick 4 (probably at the cost of 9 & 11), in which case I'd go safety first in the circumstances with Bailey Smith.
In the 20s, I'd look at Ely Smith (apparently he's an ex-Giants academy kid from Murray) and Xavier O'Halloran, with Liam Stocker another option.
I'd also want to think about a mature midfielder given what we're losing - so Mitch Grigg (even though he's from SA), or from WA Jye Bolton or Haiden Schloithe with a late or rookie pick might be in consideration. If Scully leaves, do we even look at Billy Hartung as a rookie pick for a (lesser skilled) running option?

Last edited:
Losing Griffen, Shiel, Setterfield and possibly Scully means that our need for midfielders is significant at this draft.
We'll have one eye on Tom Green next year, who's a tall inside midfielder but not quick, so I'd steer clear of Hately this year due to the similarity.
If we keep 9 & 11/14, I'd look at Duursma for a start, and maybe the WA lad Clark, or perhaps Butters. I've cooled on Collier-Dawkins I'll admit but the club may not have.
I'd be amenable if we could do a swap and move up to pick 4 (probably at the cost of 9 & 11), in which case I'd go safety first in the circumstances with Bailey Smith.
In the 20s, I'd look at Ely Smith (apparently he's an ex-Giants academy kid from Murray) and Xavier O'Halloran, with Liam Stocker another option.
I'd also want to think about a mature midfielder given what we're losing - so Mitch Grigg (even though he's from SA), or from WA Jye Bolton or Haiden Schloithe with a late or rookie pick might be in consideration. If Scully leaves, do we even look at Billy Hartung as a rookie pick for a (lesser skilled) running option?

Earlier people were mentioning some of the old GWS players in Bugg and I always thought it would be good to get Barrett back as I think he left due to SC and opportunities and after being delisted both could be options as mature DFAs if the club parts ways with D Buckley
I think the fact Hartung only lasted 1 year at the Roos says a lot and then the whole moving cities thing makes it a no chance from me

Earlier people were mentioning some of the old GWS players in Bugg and I always thought it would be good to get Barrett back as I think he left due to SC and opportunities and after being delisted both could be options as mature DFAs if the club parts ways with D Buckley
I think the fact Hartung only lasted 1 year at the Roos says a lot and then the whole moving cities thing makes it a no chance from me
Yeah, I'm not really a Hartung fan, but thinking about that pure outside run we'll miss. I get the feeling Norths delisted him to upgrade to Gaff, but it probably does say something about him. Bugg for mine would be a better option than Jake Barrett as a mature midfielder, and a more versatile player (can play mid, back, forward & tagging role). I had said previously only as a Sam Reid replacement, but given the change in our circumstances I'd give him a go - 96 games is plenty of experience, provided he's happy to come back to Sydney.

If we - thinking very hopefully - ended up with 4, 23, 43, 47, 52, 53 (less Griffen, Mohr, Setterfield, Shiel, Lobb, Scully), then:
4 = Smith
23 = O'Halloran or Ely Smith
43 = Briggs
47 = Grigg / Bolton / Bugg
52, 53 = rookie upgrades? Zac Clarke or Mummy?

Or, if 9, 11, 23, 43, 47, 52 then:
9 = Duursma
11 = Clark
23 = O'Halloran or Smith
43 = Briggs
52, 53 = rookie upgrades? Grigg / Bolton / Bugg / Clarke / Mummy?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not really a Hartung fan, but thinking about that pure outside run we'll miss. I get the feeling Norths delisted him to upgrade to Gaff, but it probably does say something about him. Bugg for mine would be a better option than Jake Barrett as a mature midfielder, and a more versatile player (can play mid, back, forward & tagging role). I had said previously only as a Sam Reid replacement, but given the change in our circumstances I'd give him a go - 96 games is plenty of experience, provided he's happy to come back to Sydney.

If we - thinking very hopefully - ended up with 4, 23, 43, 47, 52, 53 (less Griffen, Mohr, Setterfield, Shiel, Lobb, Scully), then:
4 = Smith
23 = O'Halloran or Ely Smith
43 = Briggs
47 = Grigg / Bolton / Bugg
52, 53 = rookie upgrades? Zac Clarke?

Or, if 9, 11, 23, 43, 47, 52 then:
9 = Duursma
11 = Clark
23 = O'Halloran or Smith
43 = Briggs
52, 53 = rookie upgrades? Grigg / Bolton / Bugg / Clarke?

I think the club will need to use a pick around 50 to match Academy player Mathew Walker and then the later picks for upgrades on Lloyd and possibly Reid and then also Mumford
I am still surprised the club hasn't announced any delistings although with so many moving parts in the trade period I think they need to see where they sit when that is finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back