Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a moot point to argue that Jones will stay over Meek etc on the basis he played games in front of them last year.

Of course he did, that’s why he was added to the list, we had a massive gap between injury prone elder statesman in Sandilands and an array of young rucks (some too also injury prone)

Jones played his role admirably last year, and that was to come in as ready-made cover.

I think it’s hopeful to say the least that he a has a longer future in our list over Meek.

Sadly, I think it’s Strads this year that bears the fallout brunt of Lobb’s arrival.
Lobb is everything that FFC wanted strads to be, and now Lobbs here, well, you get my drift.
Apeness will stay this year but suggest he’ll be used as trade bait/steak knives next year

Problem is we need to clear list spots. Strnadica is a rookie.

Jones goes as we have took many ruck, Meeks is a better long term prospect, but he may go as well.

We will clear three to for contracted players.

Jones, Apeness, Balla, Bennell/Kersten are my call.

We may rerookie a couple.

List wise
Rucks
2019 2020.
1. Sandilands 1. Darcy
2. Darcy 2. ?
3. Lobb 3. Lobb

We need somebody as replacement Ruck if Darcy is out.

Jones - competes well but fitness is an issue plus he is an average ruck. By, 2020 he his fitness will be sorted out.

Meek - is still young, big bull and good ruck. Outside of ruck, not sure what he brings. By, 2020 will be physically able to come and play a few games.

Apeness - show a bit last season but the guy has never completed a pre-season. More Forward/Ruck.

Strnadica - has seriously improved this year and still young.

Who to keep or who to delist?

Not that easy.

Has the though? RTB has said it isnt a focus at training
Not a natural if you miss your first 11 shots at goal IMO. But I think he did work hard ... yes probably mostly in his own time ... to get better. If RTB doesn't put more emphasis on skills, including team drills simulating pressure for shots on goal nothing much will change for guys like Cox.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...kers-midfield-says-paul-hasleby-ng-b88997229z

Connor Blakely primed to fill Lachie Neale’s shoes in Fremantle Dockers midfield, says Paul Hasleby

Fremantle youngster Connor Blakely is capable of stepping into the midfield hole left by gun clearance winner Lachie Neale next season, according to club great Paul Hasleby.

Hasleby also called for injury-troubled first-round draft pick Griffin Logue to be unleashed as a wingman as the Dockers look to reshape their midfield in the wake of Neale’s move to Brisbane.

There might be an outside chance of Sandi retiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something you've heard or just an assumption.

With Lobb as Ruck/Fwd it really takes out the risk of playing Darcy as main ruck. We can manage his load throughout the game much more knowing Lobb is good enough to hold his own. Plus if Darcy needs a game off Lobb is capable of running solo for a game.

Wouldn't mind seeing us run a game with Apeness and Lobb as the two ruckman splitting duties 50/50.

And I reckon Meek is going to dominate WAFL this year.

Freo - Darcy/Lobb
Peel - Meek/Apeness/Strnadica

If we are serious about the rebuild and the main goal is a premiership then Darcy plays every week.

If we are looking for a possible finals birth next season without a long-term goal then we play Sandi.

I think it's a no brainer. We have to play Darcy and if he gets injured then we look at Sandi. A premiership in 3-5 years needs to be the main narrative in this "dual narrative".

Not a natural if you miss your first 11 shots at goal IMO. But I think he did work hard ... yes probably mostly in his own time ... to get better. If RTB doesn't put more emphasis on skills, including team drills simulating pressure for shots on goal nothing much will change for guys like Cox.
Sorry i meant natural as in natural footballer. Not necessarily forward. Sorry ill add more context next time

If we are serious about the rebuild and the main goal is a premiership then Darcy plays every week.

If we are looking for a possible finals birth next season without a long-term goal then we play Sandi.

I think it's a no brainer. We have to play Darcy and if he gets injured then we look at Sandi. A premiership in 3-5 years needs to be the main narrative in this "dual narrative".
If Sandi is the difference between winning 14 games and winning 8 then Sandi will play.

Dictating stoppage play allows our forwards to work, if we lose the ruck then lose the stoppages we start on the back foot

If Sandi is the difference between winning 14 games and winning 8 then Sandi will play.

Dictating stoppage play allows our forwards to work, if we lose the ruck then lose the stoppages we start on the back foot

I agree.

I'm saying Darcy's development and future retention is more important than winning at this stage. I'm expecting Darcy to be fitter and stronger next season and we will be a better team in 2020 if he plays every week.

If he struggles at the top level then drop him, if he performs well then he stays in. Darcy should start as our starting ruck Imo.

Yeah my thoughts too. The mids during preseason should be roving to Darcy and Lobb to develop their chemisty as a unit and they should be first picked into the season. To use Sandi as first ruck this season is short-sighted - he should be there to coach during training and provide a chopout during the season

I think the ruckman will gain strength and stamina playing anywhere and working in the gym.

The young mids finding themselves at the disadvantage in the stoppage because the junior ruck is #1 will suffer for it. If our structure is being designed to work with a strong and capable (4 quarter) ruckman then Sandi will deliver that until Darcy is able to and we can start scoring from stoppages again.

I think the ruckman will gain strength and stamina playing anywhere and working in the gym.

The young mids finding themselves at the disadvantage in the stoppage because the junior ruck is #1 will suffer for it. If our structure is being designed to work with a strong and capable (4 quarter) ruckman then Sandi will deliver that until Darcy is able to and we can start scoring from stoppages again.
Maybe we should develop a stoppage plan that isn't entirely dependent on ruck dominance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should delist Nads, Meek, Jones, Apeness and say that there are rookie list spots up for grabs. Whoever turns up in best condition gets 1 and the other spot will be given prior to round 1through the new rookie/ Midseason draft rules.

Not sure where Kersten fits atm. Is he best 30 as a back or forward? If not thanks and goodluck.

I would re-rookie Bennell or Sherro also if we need room. They should really just scrap the rookie list and make it a 45-50 list

Lets just start round 1 with our best 22 and see where it gets us. No point playing your 2nd best ruck or the young guys if they dont earn it. Earning a game certainly didn't hurt Neales development.

How did gifting games go for GCS, Carlton, Melb?

Our last rebuild we gifted games in 2008 and 2009 and from then on it was all about playing finals. When we are out of contention then you play for next year.

2019 trade period should be really interesting. We all know about Tim Kelley and his desire to get to West Coast, but what about if Coniglio decides to come home? How will Kelly be positioned if West Coast take an interest in Coniglio?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Would be more about salary cap than picks as Coniglio is a free agent.

Between the two they would be playing $1.4-$1.6m per year. They could do one but not both.

Kelly is in the Mitch Clark basket now. Had your chance.

As for Cogs, i highly doubt he will leave. He will be well paid and looks like he enjoys sydney. In saying that i was certain Sheil would stay so what do i know?
Shiel was pretty uncertain about leaving

With the salary cap dumps from GWS this year, I don't expect the same exodus next year.
Free agency is a different animal. They lost none to FA this year.

Shiel was pretty uncertain about leaving
Absolutely he was. I would be spewing if I was GWS. He is no pleb. Very professional young man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back