MRP / Trib. 2018 MRP - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone got a clip of the "incident"?

Vince?

Scroll down for the vid
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-21/match-review-write-off-round-nine

Vince elected to run past the ball to bump Thomas midway through the first quarter of the Demons' 109-point victory, launching himself off the ground just before making impact with the Blues veteran's head.
Christian said Vince's action had been careless but not of sufficient force to warrant a charge.

"He elected to bump, but you must execute that bump fairly. He didn't, he jumped in the air and made contact to Thomas' head," Christian said.
"But there's also got to be an associated level of impact and Thomas was able to get up immediately, instantaneously, and contest the next football and then was able to play on without any problem."

Seeing it, I thought he'd get weeks, or if he didn't he should.

Punish the action, not the result. He does that to someone who isn't Daisy, and they don't spring back up immediately.

Thats what I was think. Shouldn't be a broken jaw to decide what is and isn't acceptable.

That being said I like watching Vince play and I'd rather have had him rubbed out against as

I loved the Vince bump, that's how footy use to be played. Miss that stuff (not the dirty stuff but that was a great hit straight down the middle)

Also loved daisy getting straight back up and going back for the ball

LOB unlucky. He got in the way of the melb player and the ball to block him. Not his fault the player still ran into him. $2000 a fair hit for first year player.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I loved the Vince bump, that's how footy use to be played. Miss that stuff (not the dirty stuff but that was a great hit straight down the middle)

LOB unlucky. He got in the way of the melb player and the ball to block him. Not his fault the player still ran into him. $2000 a fair hit for first year player.

Works out at nearly 4% of his wages for the year, purely for blocking a player. Would cost the likes of Buddy over $40k if it was a proportional fine.

Once again, hope we challenge both the finding and the level of the fine for a first offence

Not quite. He jumps before impact, to try and take him high.

If you can bump properly, your feet don't leave the ground. If you can bump properly and you choose to jump before impact, you can knock someone into next week. I'm going to leave to one side whether or not he was trying to do that, but the action he used was a dangerous one, and had Daisy been in a marginally less flexible position or marginally less aware, he'd have a broken jaw and a concussion.

Not quite. He jumps before impact, to try and take him high.

If you can bump properly, your feet don't leave the ground. If you can bump properly and you choose to jump before impact, you can knock someone into next week. I'm going to leave to one side whether or not he was trying to do that, but the action he used was a dangerous one, and had Daisy been in a marginally less flexible position or marginally less aware, he'd have a broken jaw and a concussion.

Should of at least received a harsh reprimand, he did everything in that bump that they have been suspending people for.

Thats not right at all, there is a clear difference in the May one that seperates it from the others.

He's clearly trying to demonstrate the play.

The decision not to appeal May was the correct one.

One of the opening statement from the prosecuting QC at the tribunal, mentioned intentional contact including "demonstrative purposes." These were being blogged live from the tribunal. I'm not sure how or if I can find it, but if I do I will post it here.

Thats what I was think. Shouldn't be a broken jaw to decide what is and isn't acceptable.

That being said I like watching Vince play and I'd rather have had him rubbed out against as
Agree completely with the first sentence; couldn't disagree more with the second.

I enjoy watching Buddy play. Do I think that his fendoffs - which were a thing before Dusty exploded - are illegal most of the time? Absolutely I do; they begin at neck height. The reason why this is relevant is because he's umpired inconsistently; sometimes, he'll get done every time he does it, others he's allowed to get away with murder. It visibly frustrates him.

If you break the rules, you should get done, regardless of how well you play the game.

When you run past the ball and leave the ground to bump someone high, that's dirty. If he kept his feet and stayed low I'd agree with you. It's only dumb luck that he didn't cause serious damage to Thomas. If he has any sense, Vince would know he's gotten away with a very dumb move.

How did the SPP umpire contact not even attract a fine?
New ruling seems to be that you can do whatever you want to someone, as long as they aren't injured, get straight back up again, or you apologise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New ruling seems to be that you can do whatever you want to someone, as long as they aren't injured, get straight back up again, or you apologise.
... or the media's gotten their pound of flesh, and have no further need to get players suspended on the very issue they judged to be of world shattering importance a week ago.

Exactly as I said; the lack of a response from Michael Christian/the AFL to SPP's contact displays that they cared more about positive optics than they do about umpire safety around the country.

Was considered accidental contact during live play I think, the previous 4 scenario's were all deemed to have happened during dead ball scenario's or when the live play had ceased or paused.

Because the media were quick to point out how good a bloke he was for apologising. There was no need for the AFL to punish him, the story was about how respectful a young man he is.

It's disgusting how easily the AFL is influenced by media spin.

For the record, I don't think SPP should have been fined.
I don't think Charlie should have been fined.
I think May should have received a moderate fine.
I think Ed should have received a heavy fine.
I think Hawkins should have got a week.

Completely accidental contact - give them a warning and move on.
Unnecessary contact without malicious intent - give them an appropriate fine.
Demonstrative or aggressive contact - suspend.

Was considered accidental contact during live play I think, the previous 4 scenario's were all deemed to have happened during dead ball scenario's or when the live play had ceased or paused.
Don't recall hearing any of that mentioned during the discussions of the past week. As far as I'm aware, that wasn't a consideration. Plenty of others copped fines for accidental contact. Still very careless given the umpire was looking away at the direction of play and couldn't see SPP, but SPP would have had the ump in his line of sight and made no effort to avoid him.

Don't recall hearing any of that mentioned during the discussions of the past week. As far as I'm aware, that wasn't a consideration. Plenty of others copped fines for accidental contact. Still very careless given the umpire was looking away at the direction of play and couldn't see SPP, but SPP would have had the ump in his line of sight and made no effort to avoid him.
I heard it mentioned somewhere cant recall where though.

So hang on. Was Joel Selwood not even sighted or mentioned in the MRP this week for running into the umpire against essendon. He clearly ran straight into the ump up near the goals as he was running back to the centre. Cant believe he wasnt fined let alone even mentioned. Oh wait. Yes i can.

So hang on. Was Joel Selwood not even sighted or mentioned in the MRP this week for running into the umpire against essendon. He clearly ran straight into the ump up near the goals as he was running back to the centre. Cant believe he wasnt fined let alone even mentioned. Oh wait. Yes i can.

Good bloke discount.

All clear!

Seriously their taking the piss ! I don't know how they can sleep at night those cheating w***ers. Sellwood might of ducked his head just in time and missed him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back