Opinion 2018 Non-Crows Discussion - Part 2: Tom Doedee, Rising Star Nominee & Port's New Major Sponsor

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I heard that Josh Glenn was all set to play for a Barossa club this season. Then there was 'an incident' and he had to find another home. Landed at Norwood.
He left Centrals at the end of last season, apparently he was a bit of a handful and was due to play for Willaston this year until he allegedly king hit a bloke (I’m led to believe it was someone from the armed services), in the Exchange Hotel which happened to be Willaston’s major sponsor so they gave him the flick. Norwood pounced and he’s now played a few Reserves/league games for them while being out on bail awaiting his assault charges hearing.

Melbourne would have the AFL drooling over the prospect of another fairytale vfl flag now that they’re back in form, FFS Gillon flat out said it on AFL 360 in the pre-season.... sigh.
Expect some appalling umpiring Sunday.
We need to be 4/5 goal better team probably to draw even.

If we can knock off Melbourne it will go a long way from stopping this train at the station. I would hate for them to get a bit of a run on because this season it really is up for grabs. I don’t see why any one of about 12 teams could go all the way this year. Nobody looks formidable to me.
West cost are looking quite good. As good as us last year without the mental frailty.
Playing at the MCG maybe their only real hurdle.

Last edited:
This whole discussion about congestion - is this really a problem? I don't think it is one of the top 3 issues in the game.
Umpiring inconsistency game on game
Rule changes
'Equalisation'
The draw and it's inequity
Too much power for players who arent FAs to move clubs

Rucci re: Shanghai: "The crowd in the outer was mostly empty because the concrete seated area isn't reinforced yet"
What with?
Bums on seats. No it was not.

Hang on. The other night he said ' the crowd was all on the 'non-camera side' '

So he is changing his tune?
Yet still a capacity crowd...hmm...oh that's right, in the hospitality tents. The game is really taking off

There was talk, I think from Chris Judd, about doing away with the percentage system and instead using points scored

I don’t like the percentage system. It rewards defense over attack.

I prefer a score difference.

Even better, I’d do a goals difference. Ignore behinds.

It’s not easy to find details on team goals scores and conceded

But think it would be more interesting knowing you were 2 goals behind the team ahead of you, and therefore had to fight to make up that ground

I’m probably more inclined to a goal difference. you have to acknowledge defense

But you want to reward the team that won by 12 goals to 9 over the team that won by 6 goals over 4

Rubbish, what about teams that end up playing in the wet vs teams that play at Etihad every week. Percentage is much fairer.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He left Centrals at the end of last season, apparently he was a bit of a handful and was due to play for Willaston this year until he allegedly king hit a bloke (I’m led to believe it was someone from the armed services), in the Exchange Hotel which happened to be Willaston’s major sponsor so they gave him the flick. Norwood pounced and he’s now played a few Reserves/league games for them while being out on bail awaiting his assault charges hearing.
Back in the 90’s the donnybrooks would have made him captain. Comps dirtiest club

Yet still a capacity crowd...hmm...oh that's right, in the hospitality tents. The game is really taking off

Watching thursdays AFL 360.
How about the crowds Derm.
“Pretty disappointing”
At least he’s got the courage to tell the truth. Weather was a bit random 38,37 then 25 and rain. Probably kept a few away.
The truth doesn’t hurt that much Gil ya’ flog.

For us Crows to consider.
They were talking about Dane Beams stepping down. How it’s a good strong move to make as he’s got lots of external issues to deal with.
Dunstall said he wasn’t able to really offer much as captain once injury started to make it hard to inspire the team.

Macrae and Bont (forgot about Macrae), maybe Hunter.

The rest I don't particularly rate.
don't get blinded by the numbers Macrae gets. most of the disposals don't hurt and last night confirmed for me, he burns a lot of team mates a turn it over way too much.

This whole discussion about congestion - is this really a problem? I don't think it is one of the top 3 issues in the game.
Umpiring inconsistency game on game
Rule changes
'Equalisation'
The draw and it's inequity
Too much power for players who arent FAs to move clubs
Simple way to remove the congestion is actually pay incorrect disposal. I don't give a s**t if it gets knocked out in the tackle, if you have possession you need to dispose of it correctly, pay the free and reward the tackler, don't ball up, it actually cause more congestion as all the players get drawn into it.

Simple way to remove the congestion is actually pay incorrect disposal. I don't give a s**t if it gets knocked out in the tackle, if you have possession you need to dispose of it correctly, pay the free and reward the tackler, don't ball up, it actually cause more congestion as all the players get drawn into it.
Atill can't remember the last time I came away from a game saying 'wow, that was a terrible gane because of all the congestion'

The AFL don't know what they want

Speed the game up
Reduce collision impact

Hint: If players are running faster then the collisions are going to be higher impact

AFL, get your strategy right then develop the plan

So a Port mate is back from Shanghai. He and the missus had a great time, saw some great sights, great food, great experience. And his team won, so I'm pleased for him seeing as he went so far.

He promised he'd be straight up with me when he got back, so here's what he said.

What was the crowd ... really?
Would have been lucky to be half-full. (At which point his wife piped up that it would have been lucky to have been one-third full).

So if there were 10,000 there, where were they?
I don't buy the AFL figures, and those tents weren't that big. The people we went with were going to go in but weren't going to pay $150 to get in. So they got a free ticket as they were giving heaps away. Then they had to buy their own drinks, and the food lines were ridiculous. So they just walked out.

How did the Chinese people in the crowd like the game?
Half of them around us left at half-time. They said it was too long and they'd had enough.

I know who I believe. And it's the not the AFL cronies and Port arselickers with agendas.

so Port still recieve **** all money out of this but are okay for a vic ckub to get 2-3 mill for going??

This is what I just don't get. Port are apparently the backbone of all this, but of the two clubs involved, only one makes any cash and it's not them. If Port starts to make any money out of this it will be 2028 when they'll more than likely be bankrupt (again) or a fully-owned subsidiary of the AFL.

There was talk, I think from Chris Judd, about doing away with the percentage system and instead using points scored

I don’t like the percentage system. It rewards defense over attack.

I prefer a score difference.

Even better, I’d do a goals difference. Ignore behinds.

It’s not easy to find details on team goals scores and conceded

But think it would be more interesting knowing you were 2 goals behind the team ahead of you, and therefore had to fight to make up that ground

I’m probably more inclined to a goal difference. you have to acknowledge defense

But you want to reward the team that won by 12 goals to 9 over the team that won by 6 goals over 4
Using goals scored is silly when a bunch of teams play most of their games under a roof.

% doesn't reward defence over attack. It rewards both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back