2018 prospects and planning

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Thought I might start this one off

There is a number of players who need to be looked at next year because as of late they have copped concussion/injury scores this year which have lowered their averages which will mean they will be cheaper next year.

I'm thinking for starters

Tom Cutler
Jack Newnes
Jake Lloyd

All fit the bill if they have defensive status

Max Gawn surely is another we should look at and there may be a number at GWS returning from injury who could be relevant too like Coniglio, Smith and Griffen.

Hugh Greenwood could be an option too if he retains forward status, I'd imagine Robbie Gray gets forward status and will be a popular pick. Brandon Ellis could be relevant if he gets defensive status too.

Just a few off the top of my head so far

This will be a good thread to get a comprehensive list going of potential starting picks for next year. Who else will be coming off long term injuries and therefore be cheap ??

Allen Christensen is one that springs to mind.
If Christensen is under 300k then yep.

But after the nightmares that were JOM and Roughy this year, I'm wary of some players who have had long lay offs. I feel if these types of players are sub 300k then they may be worth the risk though as they may average enough to make enough money, even if they have slow starts.

Hanners is another who could be a value sort of pick like what Gaff and Murphy were this year I reckon.

If Christensen is under 300k then yep.

But after the nightmares that were JOM and Roughy this year, I'm wary of some players who have had long lay offs. I feel if these types of players are sub 300k then they may be worth the risk though as they may average enough to make enough money, even if they have slow starts.

Hanners is another who could be a value sort of pick like what Gaff and Murphy were this year I reckon.

The LTI guys were ****ed this year. Some worked, some were busts, but their pricing was the killer. So many $300,000 players. What made them different to Kerridge and Wells the year before who were sub $200,000?

The LTI guys were ****** this year. Some worked, some were busts, but their pricing was the killer. So many $300,000 players. What made them different to Kerridge and Wells the year before who were sub $200,000?
Wells and Kerridge were like 170-180k

At that price you could average 60 and crawl past 300k, thankfully those guys averaged 80-90, but the risk was minimal with those guys.

With the 300k+ busts we had this year they had to average 80-85 to make decent cash, Roughy did it way too late.

WHE was the best of them, but he was 258k, he had 3 good price rises then did **** all after that as his scoring became too inconsistent, I turfed him in R6, turned out to be a good move in terms of cash generation as it plateaud from there on.

In terms of value for money, whoever started with Kayne Turner got it right, 180k and got to 397k and averaged about 70, an excellent return there. The expensive top 5 draft picks were worth it also in SPS, McGrath and Taranto too. Taranto was a slow burn but he came good in the end.

Wells and Kerridge were like 170-180k

At that price you could average 60 and crawl past 300k, thankfully those guys averaged 80-90, but the risk was minimal with those guys.

With the 300k+ busts we had this year they had to average 80-85 to make decent cash, Roughy did it way too late.

WHE was the best of them, but he was 258k, he had 3 good price rises then did **** all after that as his scoring became too inconsistent, I turfed him in R6, turned out to be a good move in terms of cash generation as it plateaud from there on.

In terms of value for money, whoever started with Kayne Turner got it right, 180k and got to 397k and averaged about 70, an excellent return there. The expensive top 5 draft picks were worth it also in SPS, McGrath and Taranto too. Taranto was a slow burn but he came good in the end.

I was more referring to how they came to the starting prices for these players.

Why was Wells $177,000 and O'Meara $329,000 for example. Similar time out of game, similar scoring outputs. I don't see the $150,000 difference.

Had all of these blokes bar McGrath (I just needed him to show me something, anything in the preseason and I would've picked him, but it wasn't to be). You could add Marchbank (didn't have :(), Hampton and McCarthy to the list too.

Had all of these blokes bar McGrath (I just needed him to show me something, anything in the preseason and I would've picked him, but it wasn't to be). You could add Marchbank (didn't have :(), Hampton and McCarthy to the list too.
Yeah

Probably forgot about them blokes because they were popular except McCarthy.

I was more referring to how they came to the starting prices for these players.

Why was Wells $177,000 and O'Meara $329,000 for example. Similar time out of game, similar scoring outputs. I don't see the $150,000 difference.
Dunno, JOM was cheaper the year before actually and he didn't even play o_O:huh:

They priced Beams, Marc Murphy and Fyfe at full price too this year, no discount, but Libba and say Brad Crouch were discounted last year. I think Bob Murphy, Heppell and Watson got discounts this year though and probably Roughy too.

Must be a popularity thing or something.

Yeah I think it was just a response to us getting two low-tier keepers for rookie price last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Preuss
Especially if goldy is traded
Even Goldy if Goldy goes elsewhere, could be the fresh start he needs.

He's been carrying them for years, you don't lose your talent overnight imo.

I do agree with Schulzenfest though, Gawn and NicNat probably looks the likely starting combo and that definitely will be in Supercoach, though NicNat may be priced high due to popularity.

Lobbe could be a shout though if Port can get him off their books, he's apparently struggling in the SANFL though reading some posts about him on here.

Preuss could kill himself though if he gets games in, Similar to Darcy could get to a fairly high price.
If Preuss plays then you'd hope it's with Goldy and not solo so his scoring fluctuates and drops his average.
Thats what im afraid of
He is smashing the vfl and brad is playing the kids, he could come in this week and play the remaining 8 games and hike his price for next year
Brad isn't playing the kids

If he played the kids then Hibberd and Mountford would've kept their spots in the side early on, or wouldn't have had to have wait like 3 months for a recall.

They only got given games due to prolonged VFL form/injuries imo.

If Preuss plays then you'd hope it's with Goldy and not solo so his scoring fluctuates and drops his average.

You would think at the point of finals is impossible, he will play regardless of with Goldy or not. Goldy won't be in their next push and is not offering anything so a waste playing him. Even if they went tandem, a 300K+ he could reach is to expensive for me to take a punt on for next year.

Even his price now, not sure I would want to risk it at just sub 300K

Brad isn't playing the kids

If he played the kids then Hibberd and Mountford would've kept their spots in the side early on, or wouldn't have had to have wait like 3 months for a recall.

They only got given games due to prolonged VFL form/injuries imo.[/QUOTE]

I meant playing the kids now

You would think at the point of finals is impossible, he will play regardless of with Goldy or not. Goldy won't be in their next push and is not offering anything so a waste playing him. Even if they went tandem, a 300K+ he could reach is to expensive for me to take a punt on for next year.

Even his price now, not sure I would want to risk it at just sub 300K

If he plays solo ruck next yr i dont see any reason why he cant avg 90 +
He does it all
Hitouts tackles goals marks etc

If he is 350k and under (without goldy) I'll be going with him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back