AFL RDT Trades and injuries discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

With Darcy out for 'at least two, but hopefully back this season' I'm thinking about burning a trade on Luke Jackson. In the ruck role he's clearly a top 6 forward, and after trading out Darcy Cameron last week, I was going to have to hold a trade until the last week anyway as coverage for a ruck zero, so if I bring Jackson in now he can just be the 23rd man if Darcy comes back (and Mills is fielded) and I can more aggressively burn the last trade.

If I go Butters to Jackson I pocket 171k for that final trade (so if Mills doesn't come good, could turn him into a Touk or Steele or something), or could even go Mills straight to Jackson and have no cash heldover at all.

Thoughts? Am I overthinking the ruck stuff and the risk of Roma/English missing a game?

With Darcy out for 'at least two, but hopefully back this season' I'm thinking about burning a trade on Luke Jackson. In the ruck role he's clearly a top 6 forward, and after trading out Darcy Cameron last week, I was going to have to hold a trade until the last week anyway as coverage for a ruck zero, so if I bring Jackson in now he can just be the 23rd man if Darcy comes back (and Mills is fielded) and I can more aggressively burn the last trade.

If I go Butters to Jackson I pocket 171k for that final trade (so if Mills doesn't come good, could turn him into a Touk or Steele or something), or could even go Mills straight to Jackson and have no cash heldover at all.

Thoughts? Am I overthinking the ruck stuff and the risk of Roma/English missing a game?
Yes? 😬

Possibly. I am thinking about going down to Jackson now that Sean Darcy is injured. I think he is a substantial upgrade on Johnson, just considering if its worth the trade :huh:
Yeah he’s definitely an upgrade. But with low trades you might just be better off holding players that make the cut?

God this 23rd man in Mills has been a life saver.

If Mills actually decided to behave like the premium I hoped he'd be. Provided Dunkley/Butters play and there's no unexpected carnage, I think it's a hold. Just have to decide what to do now.

Trade options are either

1: Hold 2 trades/21k. Field Mills for Laird.
2: Acquire Jackson. Either as 23rd man by trading Mills to him and field for Laird, or as 22nd man by downgrading Butters/Sheezel/Stewart/Day/Laird/Neale/Anderson to him and pocketing cash for the final trade.
3: Acquire Miller or Steele and cash, downgrading Stewart, Neale, Laird or Anderson to either.
4: Acquire a 24th man as cover for cover. One of:

A) Hewett (418k, either from Johnson pocketing 145k or Worrell pocketing 59k)
B) Bowes (421k, see Hewett above)
C) Rory Atkins (573k, from Johnson costing 10k)
D) Jeremy Cameron (534k, from Johnson pocketing 29k).

Genuinely tempted by Jeremy Cameron at that price, but I'd need Ford/Cunningham to be dropped to be able to loop him which removes some of the benefit. I think I'll probably end up holding and not burning a trade and grabbing Touk next week if he confirms he's back. Which feels like a shame.

Bont with a calf injury. 🫤 Hopefully he can play through it. 🤞

“He's just had a little bit of a niggle there that he's carried," Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said.

"We modified him a bit this week (at training). He's got a slight niggle there that's a bit annoying more than anything. He didn't aggravate it tonight. Hopefully it's a bit better coming into next week."

Bont with a calf injury. 🫤 Hopefully he can play through it. 🤞

“He's just had a little bit of a niggle there that he's carried," Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said.

"We modified him a bit this week (at training). He's got a slight niggle there that's a bit annoying more than anything. He didn't aggravate it tonight. Hopefully it's a bit better coming into next week."
Hopefully he can’t 😬

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm, with Ashcroft gone and only 60K in the bank, thinking to go Laird to LDU & have 960K or so for Ashcroft trade next week......and bring back Laird: head in hands emoji thingy.
Not a bad play if you have the trades. LDU could be huge against the Saints.

I'm struggling to figure out my plans this week. 2 trades, 21k left. Exposed in ruck with no playing cover, but also not sure if having a Darcy Cam/Jackson as that cover will be particularly useful given Marshall seems more likely to be a late withdrawal than a named omission and he's got the 7th, 8th, 8th & 6th games of the round over the next 4 - so the ruck cover will most of the time play before him and be unable to be shifted (and the list of rucks we couldmove Marshall to with an emergency trade would be small as most are locked out by when he plays).

Tempted to go to Gawn straight up to mitigate risk, but then if Grundy comes back I'm stuck with it.

With Darcy out for the year, is Luke Jackson a play? I'm probably only interested if he could be an F4/5/6 level scorer

Currently have Gulden/Taz/Butters/Rozee/Dunkley forward, Cogs sitting in the mids, and Sheezel sitting forward. even if Sheezel goes back, don't need the forward as Cogs can go there, but if Jackson's going to be a 100 guy, he might be the best scorer I could get in a sideways for Will Day anyway?

Laird looks like he'll play - but if he doesn't, tempted to just trade him out for Jack Steele. Annoyingly can't see Mills's cover score before I decide if I'm trading Laird or not.

5 weeks left - is it worth burning a luxury trade on an inconvenience? It's probably either Will Day (can get him to Short if he returns, Jelly, Atkins or Flanders as PODs, Luke Jackson, Amon as a POD in this new role, and probably Touk if I wait a week) or Noah Anderson (don't love the options - Viney, Houston, Duggan, LDU, Treloar).

No path to Sicily unless I burn both remaining trades. No path to Parish unless I burn Laird or Cogs. No path to Steele unless I burn Brayshaw, Laird or Neale. And they're the only 3 premiums I'm keen on that I don't have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back