Position 2018 RDT Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

So Naitanui had a fantastic game for East Perth today and will be lining up for round one barring any mishaps before then.

Why do you keep tempting me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Naitanui had a fantastic game for East Perth today and will be lining up for round one barring any mishaps before then.

Why do you keep tempting me?

You would think he will need at least 2 full games in the the WAFL before being considered. Need to see how the knee pulls up after a full match. Can’t see him playing until the earliest round 4

No, he’s in our plans for Round 1.

I have decided against picking him however.
so where does NicNats current status leave Lycett?

Im thinking they may share ruck load 60-40 (Nicnat-Lycett) early on?
I want Lycett to be a good option but im nervous. He fails and your trapped. If I dont go with him im not set on who the best ruck option is though so that helps in settling for a mid pricer there

so where does NicNats current status leave Lycett?

Im thinking they may share ruck load 60-40 (Nicnat-Lycett) early on?
I want Lycett to be a good option but im nervous. He fails and your trapped. If I dont go with him im not set on who the best ruck option is though so that helps in settling for a mid pricer there

I think you’re about right there. And Lycett plays better from a DT perspective when he’s playing that role too.

That’s the plan at the moment but it is reliant on Nic Nat getting through training.

Not every pick can be a safety first option. I think Lycett represents more upside than not.
He's damn cheap no doubt about it but just too much risk for mine of that selection going south if he either gets injured, dropped or form/role turns putrid. If a midpricer on another line fails at least there is another midpricer or rookie to jump to, or maybe even bring a rookie off the bench to short term cover, but there is little to no option than bust up your team if Lycett fails early unless you are planning on keeping a substantial bank account from the get go. I've been caught out there before with Bellchambers at R2 (back in 2015) so don't want to find myself in that hellhole again. It ended up costing me two trades to fix and those lost trades were felt by season's end.

If it does come off the rewards are obviously there but there are plenty other midpricers on other lines to roll the dice on, if you feel so inclined, that won't have such a disastrous impact if it ends up going pear shaped. Just don't have those balls of steel myself but hats off to those that do. :tophat:

Last edited:
He's damn cheap no doubt about it but just too much risk for mine of that selection going south if he either gets injured, dropped or form/role turns putrid. If a midpricer on another line fails at least there is another midpricer or rookie to jump to, or maybe even bring a rookie off the bench to short term cover, but there is little to no option than bust up your team if Lycett fails early unless you are planning on keeping a substantial bank account from the get go. I've been caught out there before with Bellchambers at R2 (back in 2015) so don't want to find myself in that hellhole again. It ended up costing me two trades to fix and those lost trades were felt by season's end.

If it does come off the rewards are obviously there but there are plenty other midpricers on other lines to roll the dice on, if you feel so inclined, that won't have such a disastrous impact if it ends up going pear shaped. Just don't have those balls of steel myself but hats off to those that do. :tophat:
Totally understand the logic as detailed by yourself and it could well go pear shape but I feel the positives outweighs the negatives. Even if he were to only average 40sh, he is not costing much more than what he as cost you initially but I feel he will average significantly higher than that. Assuming NicNat doesn't play round 1 (which is unlikely) he will get 50+ hit outs alone against Sinclair and Cameron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally understand the logic as detailed by yourself and it could well go pear shape but I feel the positives outweighs the negatives. Even if he were to only average 40sh, he is not costing much more than what he as cost you initially but I feel he will average significantly higher than that. Assuming NicNat doesn't play round 1 (which is unlikely) he will get 50+ hit outs alone against Sinclair and Cameron.
Round 2 Bulldogs, round 3 Geelong, round 4 Suns. Two price rises before the first big test in Kreuzer away round 5.

Definitely worth the risk I reckon.

For the moment I’m now changing to go with consistency. Gawn and Sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah Sauce is a very solid option. Hard to go wrong there with a lone silverback ruck who has proved exceedingly durable.

I'm probably going to take more of a risk on Stef given his ceiling in seasons past and he looks to be up and going in the preseason. Of course there is always Archie looming in the shadows (hence the risk) but I think Fagan saw first hand how poorly that worked out for all involved last season that it's a risk I'm willing to take a punt on.

Yeah Sauce is a very solid option. Hard to go wrong there with a lone silverback ruck who has proved exceedingly durable.

I'm probably going to take more of a risk on Stef given his ceiling in seasons past and he looks to be up and going in the preseason. Of course there is always Archie looming in the shadows (hence the risk) but I think Fagan saw first hand how poorly that worked out for all involved last season that it's a risk I'm willing to take a punt on.
As long as Walker keeps fit and performs a role, then he'll chop him out

Kinda like Pedersen and Gawn I think

Archie Smith didn't play any JLT games.....good sign for Stef?
Would have to be. im pretty big on Stef, i dont think 2nd ruck is going to be a factor for him this year.

Im just torn on Stef or Lycett and weighing up how that makes the rest of my team look.

Of the potential top rucks

Grundy: No way can you justify spending that much on him whilst the Mason Cox experiment is ongoing.
Kreuzer: Injured, also perhaps overpriced at 105. Will likely be available cheaper later on in the year.
Martin: Probably the most attractive option, but has that lingering issue of sharing the ruck. I'm not entirely convinced his score slumps are all about other ruckmen either (might look into this)
Jacobs: See absolute no value in him. Up until last year he was a 90-95 type ruckman, and I can't see that changing. You are going to want at least one of the above 3 by seasons end (assuming at least one of them goes 100+), so Jacobs is a waste of money.
Goldstein: The second most attractive option behind Martin for mine. Questions over sharing the ruck with Preuss but also his natural scoring ability. He had one season where he averaged 113 but outside of that he has generally been a high low 90s averaging ruck.

So the options (alongside Gawn who is a lock) I see for most teams
1. Correctly identify which of these guys will average 100 (my guess would be Martin or Goldstein) and lock and load
2. Go with Lycett and wait and see which one steps up and then upgrade earlyish.

Of the potential top rucks

Grundy: No way can you justify spending that much on him whilst the Mason Cox experiment is ongoing.
Kreuzer: Injured, also perhaps overpriced at 105. Will likely be available cheaper later on in the year.
Martin: Probably the most attractive option, but has that lingering issue of sharing the ruck. I'm not entirely convinced his score slumps are all about other ruckmen either (might look into this)
Jacobs: See absolute no value in him. Up until last year he was a 90-95 type ruckman, and I can't see that changing. You are going to want at least one of the above 3 by seasons end (assuming at least one of them goes 100+), so Jacobs is a waste of money.
Goldstein: The second most attractive option behind Martin for mine. Questions over sharing the ruck with Preuss but also his natural scoring ability. He had one season where he averaged 113 but outside of that he has generally been a high low 90s averaging ruck.

So the options (alongside Gawn who is a lock) I see for most teams
1. Correctly identify which of these guys will average 100 (my guess would be Martin or Goldstein) and lock and load
2. Go with Lycett and wait and see which one steps up and then upgrade earlyish.

At the moment I am taking the Risk on Kreuzer. I felt he had a breakout year last year and looked good in the first JLT. Injury is the biggest risk. Martin is tempting, but someone like Nankervis gives me some interest and mist your entire list.

At the moment I am taking the Risk on Kreuzer. I felt he had a breakout year last year and looked good in the first JLT. Injury is the biggest risk. Martin is tempting, but someone like Nankervis gives me some interest and mist your entire list.
My list are guys I reckon can possibly be Top 2 Rucks. I think either take a punt on someone you believe will be Top 2, or wait and see with Lycett and make the call later on.
I agree Nank can improve to a 90s average, can't see him doing much else.

Having a look into Stef's year last year, and there were three different playing combinations he was faced with

1. Playing by Himself (Rounds 1-9)
101, 121, 126, 114, 121, 86, 104, 134, 107 = 112.6 Average

2. Playing with Archie Smith as dual ruck (Rounds 10-16)
64, 120, 69, 104, 74, 85 = 86 Average

3. Playing with Josh Walker as resting Ruck (Round 17-23)
79, 99, 113, 90, 112, 82, 90 = 95 Average

Obviously Scenario 1 is preferred, but I don't think we will get that. I don't think we will see Smith in that side, but I would expect Walker to offer a bit of ruck relief. Probably puts him somewhere in the 95-110 range.

I'd like to take the punt that Goldy will be North's one and only ruck this year and he goes back to his 100+ days but Preuss' presence really concerns me. Looking at JLT2, they both played as solo ruckmen with each taking a half and both scoring over 50 per half. That told us nothing as to what way Scott will go. I just see that if Goldy was to have one or two bad games Preuss will take his spot.
My dilemma is whether to go with Goldy & Armitage OR Lycett & Coniglio???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back