2nds 2018 Stand Alone VFL - Inaugural season over. Time for reviews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nash Holmes (Essendon VFL) has been offered a contract to play with the NM VFL team in 2018.

NM have offered a better financial deal than Essendon, he is currently weighing up his options to stay at Essendon or transfer to NM.

He's a tough inside midfielder, a capable ball winner/clearance player and strong tackler.
Nash has signed with us according to Paul Amy

Very good player

Good player but odd with your earlier signings. Don't really need him with your midfield already having Rippon and co, along with the likes of Walker and Ahern etc needing midfield time too

http://m.nmfc.com.au/news/2017-12-12/north-adds-to-vfl

North Melbourne has continued to bolster its VFL side, signing an additional six players.

Amongst the new recruits are inside midfielder Nash Holmes from Essendon, Rochester forward Steve Stroobants, Geelong West tall forward Brandon Ryan, Old Collegians utility Fraser Cameron and Wilston-Grange defender Jordan McIvor-Clark.

North VFL Pro Scouting Manager Nick Byrne said the signings have added another level of experience and talent.

“We have significantly added to the VFL experience of the group with Holmes and Stroobants,” Byrne said.

“Nash is a quality midfielder with some outstanding traits and Steve is a former VFL captain who will provide guidance and leadership to our young players.”

Byrne said the additions of Ryan to the forward line, McIvor-Clark in defence and utility Cameron will give the side more flexibility.

“Brandon is technically gifted tall forward with excellent scope for improvement, Fraser joins us after a good season with a very strong Old Collegians program in the VAFA and Jordan reads the game particularly well and will assist in our defensive ball movement.

“We believe all will develop strongly in our program and we look forward to them all having a positive impact on our 2018 season.

VFL confirmed names:

Nick Rippon (MID) [North Ballarat]
Chris Jansen(MID) [Central Districts]
Mitchell Rodd (UTILITY) [North Ballarat]
Jordan Harper (MID) [Canberra Demons]
Max Hayes (DEF) [Sandringham Dragons]
Jake Hammond (FWD) [Blackburn]
Nash Holmes (MID) [Essendon]
Steve Stroobants (FWD) [Rochester]
Brandon Ryan (FWD) [Geelong West]
Fraser Cameron (UTILITY) [Old Collegians]
Jordan McIvor-Clark (DEF) [Wilston-Grange]

Last edited:
VFL confirmed names:

Nick Rippon (MID) [North Ballarat]
Chris Jansen(MID) [Central Districts]
Mitchell Rodd (UTILITY) [North Ballarat]
Jordan Harper (MID) [Canberra Demons]
Max Hayes (DEF) [Sandringham Dragons]
Jake Hammond (FWD) [Blackburn]
Nash Holmes (MID) [Essendon]
Steve Stroobants (FWD) [Rochester]
Brandon Ryan (FWD) [Geelong West]
Fraser Cameron (UTILITY) [Old Collegians]
Wilston-Grange (UTILITY) [Old Collegians]
Jordan McIvor-Clark (DEF) [Wilston-Grange]
Second last item needs trimming. But these are some stellar memeworthy names.

Couldn’t agree more.
I really love the buy in to the establishing a culture with the VFL team.

I think I’m more excited about our VFL team than the AFL team......

Not quite for me but it's probably increased my interest in season 2018 by a significant percentage on previous years. So much to look forward to!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t follow VFL closely but sounds like a pretty solid list we’re assembling?
Solid enough.Probably need to attract a good key forward and good key defender.

Why dont they offer Swallow $100k to captain the inaugral year of the VFL side? I think that would be awesome.
Probably because that would blow 1/3 of your VFL salary cap
Notice on the phantom board you were a big Will Walker fan. Would you have taken him as early as we did?
I would have taken him at our second, which ended up ~7 picks before you took him

Solid enough.Probably need to attract a good key forward and good key defender.
It should be good for key defenders. Two of of Durdin, McKay, Nielson and Thompson will be in the VFL, all of whom are good in that position at that level.

You could have a point about an extra forward though. I imagine the key posts will be filled by Larkey and Daw, both of whom have proved they can play very well at VFL level, and a resting ruckman in Xerri/Preuss (assuming Goldstein is in the AFL side over Preuss).

Junker has also said he's looking at playing as a versatile third tall at either end.

Obviously that all depends on a fit list though.

It should be good for key defenders. Two of of Durdin, McKay, Nielson and Thompson will be in the VFL, all of whom are good in that position at that level.

You could have a point about an extra forward though. I imagine the key posts will be filled by Larkey and Daw, both of whom have proved they can play very well at VFL level, and a resting ruckman in Xerri/Preuss (assuming Goldstein is in the AFL side over Preuss).

Junker has also said he's looking at playing as a versatile third tall at either end.

Obviously that all depends on a fit list though.
I know what you're saying but the thing is you need that quality key post on your VFL list too. Of the recent premiers with AFL affiliates, all of them had a very good key defender and a very good key forward.

Last year Port had Brodie Mihocek and Jordan Lisle. You need the guy that you know will be there every week. Essendon have a similar thing to Daw with Smack, but we can't take the next step because we don't have that VFL listed key forward

I know what you're saying but the thing is you need that quality key post on your VFL list too. Of the recent premiers with AFL affiliates, all of them had a very good key defender and a very good key forward.

Last year Port had Brodie Mihocek and Jordan Lisle. You need the guy that you know will be there every week. Essendon have a similar thing to Daw with Smack, but we can't take the next step because we don't have that VFL listed key forward

I agree, you need that structure there to succeed.

However, I think the main difference with Port and AFL based teams is they don't have to worry about development of AFL players. Ultimately, developing AFL players is the priority and AFL clubs will intentionally shoot their VFL side in the foot if positions are needed for development.

Our AFL side up forward will have Brown, Waite and Wood as the core larger forwards, obviously, injuries/suspensions will determine how much time they occupy those positions. That means I don't expect a lot of AFL game time from Daw, McKay, Durdin & Larkey and there is no development league any longer so clubs have to be mindful that everyone on their AFL list who aren't likely AFL starters are going to need positions in the VFL team.

Down back we probably have some scope to get a VFL key defender for stability. While Durdin and Larkey can play either end, I doubt either are going to be groomed for that full back role, Nielson is but not sure what the club feels is the extent he will play in the AFL side next year. He played the last 7 games of 2017 in the AFL and should perhaps play consistently in 2018 if available given Hansen's departure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back