List Mgmt. 2019/20 Trade/Delist/Re-sign Predictions/Opinion (now with TRADE RADIO)

Remove this Banner Ad

Would we be happy with Luko over Young / Ash? We’ve been crying out for a line breaking mid.
I'd say we have our eye on Stephens in the teens, who has got some great line breaking qualities too. I think if we are going to be as active this trade period as it looks, then getting back up into that range for him is entirely plausible.

And if we end up this year with Luko and Stephens, mate, i'm starting the car, hell start all the cars!

1 guy that's got no fan fair this year in the 2's is Myles Poholke. At the start of the season he had a stretch of 5 games where he averaged 24 disposals and 3 goals a game as a midfielder. That's pretty damn impressive!

Got that injury and then had to deal with the geriatric squad taking his starting midfielder role for a few weeks there, but last week came back and got 28 and 2 goals in a sloppy game. I'll be interested to track him in the remainder of the season!

I know we like to bring him up and play him in positions that don't suit him. But maybe we should give him a run in the guts next year. And see if he really is just a SANFL All star, or whether he can actually bring some of that midfield production to the next level!

1 guy that's got no fan fair this year in the 2's is Myles Poholke. At the start of the season he had a stretch of 5 games where he averaged 24 disposals and 3 goals a game as a midfielder. That's pretty damn impressive!

Got that injury and then had to deal with the geriatric squad taking his starting midfielder role for a few weeks there, but last week came back and got 28 and 2 goals in a sloppy game. I'll be interested to track him in the remainder of the season!

I know we like to bring him up and play him in positions that don't suit him. But maybe we should give him a run in the guts next year. And see if he really is just a SANFL All star, or whether he can actually bring some of that midfield production to the next level!
Poholke has been given chances and shown he isn't AFL standard. Just a very good SANFL player who couldn't take the next step. He may survive the cull but he will probably remain a depth player at best.

Poholke has been given chances and shown he isn't AFL standard. Just a very good SANFL player who couldn't take the next step. He may survive the cull but he will probably remain a depth player at best.
Maybe, but its quite clear that Poholke was given a bumb steer in the games he's played. He's never been a pressure forward, and yet that's the role we kept asking him to play.

Clearly he's at his best as a goal kicking midfielder. And I don't think we've even given him a single ball up at the AFL level, so i'm not ready to throw in the towel on him just yet

Maybe, but its quite clear that Poholke was given a bumb steer in the games he's played. He's never been a pressure forward, and yet that's the role we kept asking him to play.

Clearly he's at his best as a goal kicking midfielder. And I don't think we've even given him a single ball up at the AFL level, so i'm not ready to throw in the towel on him just yet
Poholke isn't going to improve our midfield. We can't afford another one paced midfielder with mediocre skills.

Why is this board so quick to write off second year players? Poholke has improved significantly in the last 12 months.

Other teams would be sniffing around I'd imagine. Goalkicking mids are always in demand.

He'll get a call up this week for sure if SANFL form actually matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is this board so quick to write off second year players? Poholke has improved significantly in the last 12 months.
I’m not a fan but absolutely acknowledge a fine SANFL season and the fact he’s improved to be our most dangerous SANFL mid.

That said, I’m not sure yet whether that means he’s developing into an AFL player, or another Pat Wilson/Mitch Grigg.

On balance I think he’s shown enough to persevere with for now.

I’m not a fan but absolutely acknowledge a fine SANFL season and the fact he’s improved to be our most dangerous SANFL mid.

That said, I’m not sure yet whether that means he’s developing into an AFL player, or another Pat Wilson/Mitch Grigg.

Only one way to find out, and he’s a better athlete than Grigg was.

Persevere, and you know, play him in the position he was recruited to play!

Hardly proof. I thought he actually looked more composed with the ball in than last year while still playing a junk position.
I'm pretty sure AFL form can be held up as proof of a players ability to play in the AFL.

Poholke is another Wilson type. People pay too much attention to his SANFL stats and start asking for his inclusion. Then when he gets called up, he disappoints and people don't mention him again for 6 months.

I'm pretty sure AFL form can be held up as proof of a players ability to play in the AFL.

Poholke is another Wilson type. People pay too much attention to his SANFL stats and start asking for his inclusion. Then when he gets called up, he disappoints and people don't mention him again for 6 months.

1 bad game as 20 year old is not proof that a player will never make it.

I think the biggest issue is Poholke's decision making speed. At AFL level it has consistently seemed too slow, but that won't be an issue at SANFL level.

Think he will be the next Grigg/Wilson for us
He's also not particularly athletic. Not fast, not tall and not particularly strong (for the AFL). The only part of his game I rate in the AFL is his marking. He's decent overhead for his size.

I think the biggest issue is Poholke's decision making speed. At AFL level it has consistently seemed too slow, but that won't be an issue at SANFL level.

But how much of that is due to the fact he’s plays midfield, typically without an opponent, which is his best position.

And then goes up to the 1’s team as a forward pocket, with a guy glued to his hip?

I don’t predict he will be a star, but I just want to see us give him a shot in the position he plays before writing him off!

This is precisely my issue with him.

Let’s not forget he got 9 games last year as well as a couple this year. I saw nothing whatsoever in those games to indicate he’d make it.

But as I said earlier, a vast improvement this season may see him translate it to AFL. Verdict is almost in for mine, but happy to see him with us again next year to see if he can push up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back