Resource 2019 AFL Draft Order

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade paperwork officially lodged. Brisbane Lions sign Unrestricted Free Agent Cameron Ellis-Yolmen. Adelaide Crows to receive a Third Round compensation selection, currently number 47.

Richmond have elected not to match the offer and Brandon Ellis is now able to join the Gold Coast SUNS immediately. Richmond to receive a Second Round compensation selection, currently selection 39.

Compensation pick for Brandon Ellis joining Gold Coast as a free agent

Compensation pick for Cameron Ellis-Yolmen joining Brisbane as a free agent
Pick 48 to Adelaide as compensation for Cameron Ellis-Yolmen joining Brisbane Lions as a free agent

Although it was reported as pick 47, I think they figured out the pick number without taking into account Richmond's compensation for Ellis above. The compensation for Ellis-Yolmen slots in directly after Adelaide's original 3rd round pick (which is pick 47, currently held by Carlton), so the compensation is therefore actually pick 48, as shown below.

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 11.20.43 pm.png

I've also added back the recruits column, as we had last year.

Lore, the afl.com.au article on draft picks is also applying the GWS points deficit from last year's draft - but it's mitigating it against some carryover from the 2015 draft (who knew?) - taking the third round pick from the current 57 to 59 and moving GSC & St Kilda up. However, if GWS get an earlier round 3 or indeed a round 2 pick (possibly as FA compensation for Tomlinson) I suspect they could apply it there instead. Do you have any authoritative intel on how they're applying that deficit?

Lore, the afl.com.au article on draft picks is also applying the GWS points deficit from last year's draft - but it's mitigating it against some carryover from the 2015 draft (who knew?) - taking the third round pick from the current 57 to 59 and moving GSC & St Kilda up. However, if GWS get an earlier round 3 or indeed a round 2 pick (possibly as FA compensation for Tomlinson) I suspect they could apply it there instead. Do you have any authoritative intel on how they're applying that deficit?
From memory deficits are only applied to real picks, not compo ones. Compo ones also can't be used for academy matching (as of a couple of years ago).

From memory deficits are only applied to real picks, not compo ones. Compo ones also can't be used for academy matching (as of a couple of years ago).
Compensation and priority picks can't be used for father-sons either, or at least it's still written in the rules that way.

The deficit is applied before the free agency/trade period so that clubs can't avoid paying the deficit by trading the picks out. Once it's been applied that's it, it doesn't get reapplied on new picks you trade in.

I believe that the points associated with pick 59 after the deficit has been applied would be 158 points, which is no more or less than pick 59 is usually worth. If there are any remaining points then they probably just carry over to the next deficit you might acquire.

The concept of a surplus is unusual, I think because the points left over after matching for Hopper didn't make any material difference when added to the next best pick that GWS had at the time. It's funny that they've decided they still count now, as normally it should be forfeit, as with unused picks. I'm not sure why it took them 4 years to decide to carry it over.

As far as points owed:

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 4.56.26 pm.png

The document I got that from is from May 2015 (most recent one we have) and may be a bit out of date, although it says that a deficit comes off the first pick, it is actually typically applied to the club's selection in the equivalent round of the following year. Taking 50-100 points off a first round pick doesn't usually make any difference to the pick.

The concept of a surplus is unusual, I think because the points left over after matching for Hopper didn't make any material difference when added to the next best pick that GWS had at the time. It's funny that they've decided they still count now, as normally it should be forfeit, as with unused picks. I'm not sure why it took them 4 years to decide to carry it over.

I also find this very odd. I wasn't aware a surplus could be generated and carried over.

I thought the surplus points simply convert into a pick of the equivalent value and are used that year and that is the end of it.

I have gone back over all the documentation I could find and none have any references to gaining a points surplus, let alone carrying it four years without coming into play.

Hence my assumption that the bid matching for GWS in 2015 was as such:

GWS-2015-Matched-Bids.jpg

Considering the surplus reference is to the matching of Hopper, could this be a case of errors being made in the first run of points matching in 2015 by failing to provide pick 73 to GWS as a leftover in both the Hopper and Flynn selections - with the correction being the value of the two picks (18 points) being carried forward as a surplus to be factored into a GWS deficit in the future?

If you take pick 55 (207 points) and take away the deficit from 2018 (43 points) you are left with 164 points, which factors in as pick 59.

Adding 18 points as the surplus brings the total to 182 points, which works out exactly as pick 57 that GWS are allocated with.

The surplus is legitimate - we had it confirmed by the Lions when it was introduced that matching a first round bid with a single first round pick generates a surplus that could be used to match future bids, not an extra pick unlike when matching with multiple picks or later picks.

However we had assumed that the future bids would be limited but going back and reading it again that was wrong - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2015-draft-discussion.1089237/post-41328263.

They quoted the exact rule that covered this situation back in 2015.

Thanks Dylan82 dlanod :) what an obscure rule lol

Fair warning - I’m going to be busy today and not near a computer for most of the morning. I won’t get a lot of time to update the order until this afternoon if trades go through (and we can be fairly certain a few will). Will do the best I can but as always I’m one person :)

The surplus is legitimate - we had it confirmed by the Lions when it was introduced that matching a first round bid with a single first round pick generates a surplus that could be used to match future bids, not an extra pick unlike when matching with multiple picks or later picks.

However we had assumed that the future bids would be limited but going back and reading it again that was wrong - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2015-draft-discussion.1089237/post-41328263.

They quoted the exact rule that covered this situation back in 2015.

Thanks, that is great information - I wasn't aware of this at all.

Does it also mean that the offset mechanism for surplus points are converted upwards?

i.e. the surplus from the 2015 Hopper selection is 13.8 points, when a minimum of 18 points are required to move the subtracted 2018 deficit outcome from pick 59 to 57.

If the 13.8 point surplus is converted upwards to the value of the next pick (72), it then carries a value of 19 points which agrees with the pick 57 outcome that we are seeing.

Pick 40 to GWS due to Adam Tomlinson joining Melbourne as an Unrestricted Free Agent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Carlton got the wrong pick. Pick 48 in black?
The pick numbers are right, just the formula for the black background on priority/compensation picks was a bit simplistic because I was lazy when I set it up. Should be right now, and stay right hopefully.

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 6.09.21 pm.png

Last edited:
Be interesting see where this puts Geelong in the order with the Tim Kelly trade
Waiting on AFL House to release the details officially, I believe some picks were swapped with Essendon as well which needs to be done first. Hopefully sometime in the next 30 minutes so I can do it on my break haha.

@AFL_House Trade paperwork officially lodged for a three-way trade.

Geelong Cats trade Tim Kelly, its Rd 3 Selection (57) and its Future Rd 3 Selection to West Coast for its Rd 1 Selection (14), Rd 2 Selections (24,33) and its Future Rd 1 Selection.

West Coast have traded its Rd 3 Selection (57) - on traded from Geelong - to Essendon for its Rd 3 Selection (52). Geelong have traded its Rd 2 Selection (33) - on traded from WCE - to Essendon for its Rd 2 Selection (37).

Three way trade Tim Kelly to West Coast plus pick swaps with Essendon
Took their sweet ass time about it. I think this is right, let me know if there's any issues. Now to sort out the future picks...

Geelong In: #14, #24, #37, future 1st (West Coast)
Geelong Out: Tim Kelly, #57, future 3rd

West Coast In: Tim Kelly, #52, future 3rd (Geelong)
West Coast Out: #14, #24, #33, future 1st

Essendon In: #33, #57
Essendon Out: #37, #52

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 2.10.35 pm.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back