List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Thread

The_Snake26

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
All the guys I was with at championships think Green is slow ..powerful but really slow.

If we keep pick Brodie Kemp , Dylan Williams for me.
We should pick the best player who displays skill, decision making, footy iq, ability to accumulate and strength/power before we look at their athletic characteristics.
Check out the top 10 record holders for the athletic testing for the combine. Hardly any superstars in there.
Give me slower players like Sam Mitchell, Pendles, Selwood, Fyfe, Lenny Hayes, Clayton Oliver, Bont, Crouch, Dal Santo etc over athletic beasts like Dan McKenzie or Rhys Stanley

we put too much emphasis on speed and endurance rather than the key skills

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
We should pick the best player who displays skill, decision making, footy iq, ability to accumulate and strength/power before we look at their athletic characteristics.
Check out the top 10 record holders for the athletic testing for the combine. Hardly any superstars in there.
Give me slower players like Sam Mitchell, Pendles, Selwood, Fyfe, Lenny Hayes, Clayton Oliver, Bont, Crouch, Dal Santo etc over athletic beasts like Dan McKenzie or Rhys Stanley

Tom Green

Not going to argue ..just saying the 5 guys was with are all either current or former recruiters everyone
thought the same ..........opinion business footy .

Unfortunately Liam Henry not available for us this draft.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC

Yet just today our list manager was on the Saints Insider podcast explaining how we are hitting the next draft looking for midfielders who "run fast and long", though he did also specify skilled I think.

Wonder which aspect he'll make the priority?

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yet just today our list manager was on the Saints Insider podcast explaining how we are hitting the next draft looking for midfielders who "run fast and long", though he did also specify skilled I think.

I suppose you really want both. I think speed is important to Saints because our current midfield is not speedy. Of the top prospects Rowell has good breakaway speed. Kemp has very good acceleration and pace. Anderson is slower and I haven't seen Green but hear he is also a bit one paced.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

Hopefully the key priority is "midfielders". As it should have been for a long time now.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

If we've been emphasising speed up to now we've done a really bad job.....we had to get a bunch of mature agers in one hit because we were so slow and are still one paced through the mids...

Last edited:

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
WAFL AFL DRAFT WATCH: JUNE EDITIONFriday, July 5, 2019 - 1:30 PM
hbtds3f6l0i9_250.jpg

2019 is shaping up to be an excellent year for West Australian draft prospects. At the midway point of the year, a number of players have put their best foot forward and will no doubt be right in the mix when conversations take place within AFL Recruiting Departments.
Below were the standout players in the month of June.
LUKE JACKSON – EAST FREMANTLE
The former Australian basketballer is shaping up to be the best ruck prospect in this year’s AFL Draft. In three games for Western Australia, Jackson is currently averaging 14 possessions, 35 hit-outs and five clearances across three games. His best game for the Sandgropers came against Vic Metro when he accumulated 15 possessions (13 contested), recorded 35 hit-outs, and won six clearances in a dominant display. The Bullcreek-Leeming junior has been likened to Port Adelaide star Paddy Ryder due to his raw athleticism, his follow-up work, ruck craft, contested nature and marking ability. In three games for East Fremantle, Jackson is averaging 15 possessions, 29 hit-outs, four marks and has kicked four goals with his best outing coming against Subiaco in round two (17 possessions, 24 hit-outs and two goals).
ELIJAH TAYLOR – PERTH DEMONS
Described by WA Head Coach Peter Sumich as a potential draft bolter, Taylor has put forward a solid campaign for Western Australia that could see him rise up the draft rankings. In three games for Western Australia, Taylor has kicked six goals and is currently averaging 12 possessions, three marks and two inside 50s with his best game coming against the Allies when he booted three goals from 12 possessions and took four marks. He plays on instinct, using his lateral movement to get out of trouble, before showing his composure, vision and skill to either find a target inside attacking 50 or kicking a goal. For the Demons, Taylor has kicked two goals in three games and is averaging 18 possessions, four marks, four tackles and four inside 50s, with his best performance coming against Claremont in round five (25 possessions, four marks and two goals).
TRISTAN HOBLEY - SUBIACO
There were high expectations on Hobley coming into season 2019, after he finished second in the Jack Clarke Medal, second in his club’s Best & Fairest and made the WAFL Colts Team of the Year in 2018. So far in 2019, Hobley has risen to the occasion, averaging 33 possessions, seven tackles and four marks across six games for Subiaco. He is currently equal third in the WAFL Colts Coaches Award with 14 votes after dominant outings against Swan Districts in round five (39 possessions and six marks), Peel Thunder in round eight (30 possessions and five tackles), Perth in round nine (25 possessions, nine tackles and a goal). He was also instrumental for Western Australia in their fixture against the Allies with 22 possessions, four inside 50s and three marks. Like West Coast’s Andrew Gaff, Hobley works tirelessly, boasts elite endurance, is a smart decision-maker with ball in hand, reads the play well, is an excellent accumulator.
RILEY GARCIA – SWAN DISTRICTS
The Caversham junior has been one of Western Australia’s best players in this year’s AFL U18 Championships. In three games for the Sandgropers, Garcia is currently averaging 24 possessions (11 contested), four tackles, four clearances, three inside 50s, and three marks with his best performance coming against South Australia (28 possessions – 15 contested – eight clearances, six inside 50s and a goal). In three games for Swan Districts’ League team, he is averaging 12 possessions, two tackles and two inside 50s. He plays in a similar way to how Essendon young gun Darcy Parish goes about his business. Like Parish, Garcia is quick-thinking, always on the move, has reliable skills and makes sound decisions with ball in hand.
BEN JOHNSON – WEST PERTH
The West Perth “superboot” has proven to be a tantalising small/medium defensive player in this year’s AFL Draft Pool. In three games for the WA U18s, Johnson is currently averaging 15 possessions, four marks, three rebounding 50s, with his best performances coming against the Allies (23 possessions, five rebounding 50s and four inside 50s) and against Vic Metro (11 possessions and two goals). In four games for the Falcons, he has kicked five goals and is currently averaging 21 possessions, four marks, and three tackles with dominant outings against Claremont (27 possessions and a goal), and East Fremantle (20 possessions and a goal). The Whitford junior is cool and calm under pressure, boasts a long penetrating kick, provides excellent rebound and has the capacity to lock his direct opponent out of the game.
OTHERS
Trey Ruscoe – East Fremantle
Ben Golding - Subiaco
Jake Pasini – Swan Districts
Tyron Hindmarsh – West Perth

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
My dream is they don't want him because they would have too many similar with Taranto, Hopper, Caldwell etc. We bid pick 3 or 4 and they don't match. Surly it's like some rich guy who can't be f’ed picking up the $100 notes he's dropped because he has so many he can't be bothered bending down.

Everything I’ve read or heard suggests GWS would match the bid, but if we had pick 3 or 4 surely we would fire in a bid.

It would put pressure on GWS because the points they will need to match the bid would virtually wipe out their first two draft picks, with a number of other academy players to be bid on. GWS may rate highly some of those lads and feel the best long term decision is to draft them.

Who knows, maybe Gold Coast or Adelaide bid at 1 or 2. Then Rowell or Anderson potentially slides if GWS don’t match the bid.

Stranger things have happened.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams

They all dream of some 7 foot tall guy who can run like Ursain and play like Mitchell.
So they pick some guy who "might" and let the 5.8' ball magnet slide

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
Wouldn’t that be right?
Quite a bit of opposition to that today. Even Stewart Dew said no to the prospect three times in his press conference. Some commentators saying too many compromised drafts over recent years. Don't like the idea of us not playing well and ending up second last......but Anderson pretty tempting. Goal kicking midfielder. And a good one. Sheesh!

Back