KinkyRene

Premium Platinum
Aug 2, 2013
Lulie st
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Caley Jags, A's
Yeah, recording a purple in that sector under yellow was always going to bite him. Bit strange that they didnt summon him earlier, but par for the course with F1 stewards.

dazbroncos

Max Rooke Appreciation Society
Oct 9, 2010
Los Angeles and Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Red Bull Racing
Max stripped of pole and given 3 place penalty, despite telemetery showing he lifted.
View attachment 770805
Saw it live here in LA... thats a Bs ruling. They commented at the time but he had lifted.. perhaps just not enough.. but he had lifted and he already had the pole. TO be stripped of it is crap IMO - and im no Max fan but thats poor.

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Saw it live here in LA... thats a Bs ruling. They commented at the time but he had lifted.. perhaps just not enough.. but he had lifted and he already had the pole. TO be stripped of it is crap IMO - and im no Max fan but thats poor.
I too think its bullshit, but Max himself admitted that he didn't lift, so was always going to cop a penalty.

Just think, if he had of lifted he would have still been on pole anyway, hindsight is always 20/20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

happy_eagle

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
It's odd that the telemetry shows he lifted, but Max admitted he didn't ?

After Jules Bianchi, its clear the F1 aren't going to tolerate any type of racing under yellows (and rightfully so)

drd23

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
It's odd that the telemetry shows he lifted, but Max admitted he didn't ?
I'm not convinced that that is what the image KinkyRene posted shows.

Looks to me that that telemetry shows Max braking hard (throttle goes to zero, braking goes to 1) with about 100m to go in whatever distance the graph covers (looks to be longer than the 4.3lm lap length, but even if its limited to lap length it would have been past the point of Valteri's car anyway). I think that the graph might be completely wrong because he clearly didn't brake until after the line

Last edited:

KinkyRene

Premium Platinum
Aug 2, 2013
Lulie st
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Caley Jags, A's
I'm not convinced that that is what the image KinkyRene posted shows.

Looks to me that that telemetry shows Max braking hard (throttle goes to zero, braking goes to 1) with about 100m to go in whatever distance the graph covers (looks to be longer than the 4.3lm lap length, but even if its limited to lap length it would have been past the point of Valteri's car anyway). I think that the graph might be completely wrong because he clearly didn't brake until after the line

The tele seems to match startline to startline rather than to finish line, your vid is great as it shows the difference and goes some way to explaining the stewards decision.

Black_White

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
Max’s comments post qualifying backed the stewards into a corner.
His challenge that they could strip him of that lap time was really pushing it.
So they punished him, not just for the split second decision to continue a non pole lap, but for his arrogance in the interview.

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
What are you, or anybody else who shares your opinion, talking about?

There's no running away form a fight. He's beaten Verstappen, and had better seasons than him, more than once. There's nothing left to do at RB except lose a PR war.

RB have nobody. They couldn't replace him with Gasly. Albon might win some races in a few years, but he's not going to do anything huge.

Verstappen is having his best season, but he's done it with the benefit of Ricciardo not being there, and he's still going to get swamped by both Ferraris and still end up 5th. RB/Honda have little or no upside.

When are they going to lift?

Never.

happy_eagle

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
What are you, or anybody else who shares your opinion, talking about?

There's no running away form a fight. He's beaten Verstappen, and had better seasons than him, more than once. There's nothing left to do at RB except lose a PR war.

RB have nobody. They couldn't replace him with Gasly. Albon might win some races in a few years, but he's not going to do anything huge.

Verstappen is having his best season, but he's done it with the benefit of Ricciardo not being there, and he's still going to get swamped by both Ferraris and still end up 5th. RB/Honda have little or no upside.

When are they going to lift?

Never.
Daniel saw the writing on the wall (that Max was the preferred driver) and chose to leave rather than stay and fight.
Red Bull are a far stronger team (with more upside). They are a good chance to get another Grand Prix win this weekend, their 3rd of the season and 7th podium.

Renault will be lucky to still be in F1 after 2021...

Top Bottom