List Mgmt. 2019 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting so many academy nominations. I wouldn't have thought we would take that many
Usually we seem to take less than half of our nominations, which works out about the same as the other academy clubs.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Cal's Phantom has us going with Hately, Collier-Dawkins , Sturt and Briggs
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-20/callum-twomeys-2018-phantom-draft

And the Herald Sun has us going with completely different players in Clark and Butters so the Phantom's aren't exactly lining up with each other

Wouldve thought one more big bodied mid is required at this stage. One of Hately or RCD would suffice. Think RCD has more xfactor about him and his consistency will pick up in an afl environment. Bonar and RCD together along with Shipley would make quite a strong NEAFL midfield brigade. Will need some more outside run with only Cumming being a half back/winger. Clarke has great use of the ball and could help release another runner from defense and could potentially move up himself - will need to work on his running however. Duursma could also play an inside/outside role. Interesting times ahead.

If a bid comes for Briggs at 19 could see us looking at turning 19 into two later picks
Yup, would make sense to do so, could open a tactic for clubs wanting 19 to place a spurious bid and then trade picks, or force us to use the pick if noone else wanted 19 and we didn't want thier deal.. Interesting draft this one in a lot of ways

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Will be a busy night. I wonder how much different clubs teams have talked about possible swaps as part of the preparation, depending in what unfolds.
GWS GIANTS (@GWSGIANTS) Tweeted:
New format, live trading, a heap of intrigue.

@caruse18 talks through the strategy heading into the 2018 NAB AFL Draft.

https://t.co/I1zttqybun | #BeGIANT https://t.co/rW5aJIJOYd

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting with some of the phantoms having the selections heavy with big mids which I don't see as a pressing need for the club and with the selections the club has I think it has an opportunity to pick up 4 different players I see the options as and depending on who is available at the clubs selections
Caldwell/RCD/O'Halloran/Ely Smith (1 of these)
Duursma/Clark/Jones/Butters (My preference is for 2 of these players)
Sturt/Taylor
Stocker is another one that could be considered, from Sandringham and not sure if he would be available at #19
if a bid does come in earlier than #25 for Briggs I could see the club looking to trade that pick out along with #52 for picks with a higher points value although I feel he will be picked after #25
Some of the trade period analysis on the Giants I feel fails to take into account that Scully only played 1/2 game and Settefield not at all this year and although Lobb is a big loss the club certainly got close to above value for him IMO, the biggest loss is Shiel and I am sure the Bombers will get a great 7 years out of him and I can see the 2 teams meeting in the finals in the next few years

Last edited:

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting with some of the phantoms having the selections heavy with big mids which I don't see as a pressing need for the club and with the selections the club has I think it has an opportunity to pick up 4 different players I see the options as and depending on who is available at the clubs selections
Caldwell/RCD/O'Halloran/Ely Smith (1 of these)
Duursma/Clark/Jones/Butters (My preference is for 2 of these players)
Sturt/Taylor
if a bid does come in earlier than #25 for Briggs I could see the club looking to trade that pick out along with #52 for picks with a higher points value although I feel he will be picked after #25
Some of the trade period analysis on the Giants I feel fails to take into account that Scully only played 1/2 game and Settefield not at all this year and although Lobb is a big loss the club certainly got close to above value for him IMO, the biggest loss is Shiel and I am sure the Bombers will get a great 7 years out of him and I can see the 2 teams meeting in the finals in the next few years
Lobb was never really right last season right last season either until the very end.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Some of the trade period analysis on the Giants I feel fails to take into account

Generally, trade analysis is that we need more big bodied mids, even if they're slow (Hateley). I don't see that. We have Hopper, Bonar & Taranto already.
Sheridan's run might replace Scully's but wouldn't expect him to be as good, Shiel's & Dev Smith's power bursts from stoppage need replacing, a ruckman for Lobb, a dasher for Wilson.

Giants recruiters nailed it last year, Taylor was left field but excellent choice, Daniels could be similar.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
With the loss of Scully, can see the merit of selecting Jones as a combative outside midfielder who can have stints in the guts as well. Though selecting him at 9 will likely mean we forego the chance to pick Clark. Similarly at 11 whilst RCD would be likely, Duursma would also be the other one to consider given his leadership and ability with the ball. Cannot see him lasting past Brisbane's pick 18. Would be nice to trade up to grab 3 of Clark, Jones, RCD and Duursma with residual points used to match Briggs.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Geez who would we be targeting...rozee personally i hope. Must be the reason if we are hoping to pip Port for te Adelaide boy. Would hope we can keep at least one of 9 or 11 though. Maybe 9 and carlton 2019 2nd for 4. Not sure if that would be overs enough for st. Kilda though.

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Geez who would we be targeting...rozee personally i hope. Must be the reason if we are hoping to pip Port for te Adelaide boy. Would hope we can keep at least one of 9 or 11 though. Maybe 9 and carlton 2019 2nd for 4. Not sure if that would be overs enough for st. Kilda though.
A boy could dream!

Reckon thats really bending them over tho.

Would love Rozee, i think he could have a real impact at AFL level next year.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
A boy could dream!

Reckon thats really bending them over tho.

Would love Rozee, i think he could have a real impact at AFL level next year.
Can understand the saints asking for more (I would too if I were them) but seeing as Shiel only went for 2 first rounders with a 2nd rounder returning, cant fathom a player in the draft with no AFL games being worth more than Shiel in his prime. Even if they project to be an amazing player there are no guarantees. Caruso and Quayle must have a very keen eye on someone higher up though if they really are thinking of the mentioned offer. However seeing as I dont feel either team will want to be bent over with a compromise hard to organise with only picks available, cannot see a trade being done as much as I want Rozee.

Maybe 4 + 67 for 9 + 25 + Carlton 2019 2nd rd.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah, not seeing value in trading out 2 first round picks plus something. Would love Rozee, but think that price is too steep and self defeating. But if the team see him as ideal qualities and low risk of going home, I can see them doing that trade. But our seconds lineup would be pretty threadbare then. They might be putting faith in coverage recruits. Just not sure that's best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back