Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Must be some serious red flags on Stack's character to not be picked by any club in the national draft. Very talented and explosive player in my books.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
After so much build up the draft is over (Almost with the new list addition period) we can look at who the club added to the list and have an idea of how the team will look for next season.
The first 3 picks are all good selections and hopefully they can see some game time in 2019
The pick up of Hill addresses the need for speed but I would say at this stage the club overpaid to get the pick for him but if he does play to his potential at the Giants it will be a good move
Not sure about the Idun pick but until we see him play I will support him and hope for the best, I can see the potential in his pick and hopefully he can have a good pre season and impress
The one thing I am disappointed with is the lack of Academy players picked up with only Briggs from this year and Walker the only other academy player to be picked up. I do back the recruiters with the decisions as they have seen a lot of the players throughout the year and I hope Peatling, Budd, Driscoll and Pollock stick around as overagers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
http://m.gwsgiants.com.au/video/2018-11-26/inside-the-giants-the-draft

This is a brilliant insight.

Looks like we got our main man and fortunately didn’t have to trade up. We must have really liked Butters as that 2nd pick but were more than happy to grab Hately whilst the other picks just fell perfectly.

If Caldwell can stay sound he really looks a beauty. Very excited with this group!

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
http://m.gwsgiants.com.au/video/2018-11-26/inside-the-giants-the-draft

This is a brilliant insight.

Looks like we got our main man and fortunately didn’t have to trade up. We must have really liked Butters as that 2nd pick but were more than happy to grab Hately whilst the other picks just fell perfectly.

If Caldwell can stay sound he really looks a beauty. Very excited with this group!

Loved the fact that in those predraft meetings we were saying Caldwell, Caldwell, Caldwell - and then on the night said Blakey.
And the next pick was Hately, Hately, Hately - and then we selected Quaynor

Keeping the bastards honest!!

And we got Caldwell and Hately anyway and Sydney and Eddiwood had to burn a pick or two. Quite frankly, a big :thumbsu: from me.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Just out of interest can someone confirm who the category B rookies are for next season?
Brown confirmed
J Buckley ?
Stein?
Sproule?
And did Idun make the main list 38 or 39?
With Mumford coming onto the list as a rookie how many rookie list spots will the club have available and thoughts if they will look to use it before the start of the season?
Still surprised none of the academy players got picked up but I hope several of them stick around to play as overages and try again in the 2019 draft

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Just out of interest can someone confirm who the category B rookies are for next season?
Brown confirmed
J Buckley ?
Stein?
Sproule?
And did Idun make the main list 38 or 39?
With Mumford coming onto the list as a rookie how many rookie list spots will the club have available and thoughts if they will look to use it before the start of the season?
Still surprised none of the academy players got picked up but I hope several of them stick around to play as overages and try again in the 2019 draft

Clubs are required to list 4-6 Category A rookies, to make a total of 44 combined with the required 38-40 senior listed players. They are also be allowed to list as many as three Category B rookies.

So at this stage we have 39 senior listed players and that includes Idun who was taken in the main draft.
3 Cat B rookies (J Buckley, Stein, Brown)
Cat A Rookies (Dylan Buckley, Sam Reid, Mumford?, Sproule*)

* given you can only have 3 Cat B rookies I'm assuming someone like Sproule is moved to being a Cat A rookie. Would also think we will keep one Cat A rookie spot open in case we need to make use of the mid season rookie draft, or we could follow the path of the tigers and use the Mumford rule to also pick a young guy who missed out on being drafted but think that is unlikely
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-26/tigers-seek-draft-lifeline-for-overlooked-wa-star

Last edited:

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS

Obviously a different sport and a massive adjustment but what about his movement! That is explosive speed, if he can adapt he looks to have all the physical tools. Hopefully he can do so as he looks very intriguing talent wise. Could be a surprise packet.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Looking to 2019 draft it looks like it'll be an Academy selection heavy draft with Tom Green currently the premier inside midfielder in the crop and Liam Delahunty expected to play a big role in the ALLIES side it could be two first round bids.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Also looking at the 2018 draft I have mixed feelings.
Hately, O'Halloran, Hill and Briggs I'm very happy with, all address areas of need or represent great value at their selection.

I have concerns over Caldwells injury history, especially with our track record I think its a very high risk selection. Personally didn't rate Idun as a National Draft selection. Finally I don't see why we didn't match a bid for Walker, great forward marking target who is a hard worker in the forward 50 and would've cost us a pick in the 80's

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Clubs are required to list 4-6 Category A rookies, to make a total of 44 combined with the required 38-40 senior listed players. They are also be allowed to list as many as three Category B rookies.

So at this stage we have 39 senior listed players and that includes Idun who was taken in the main draft.
3 Cat B rookies (J Buckley, Stein, Brown)
Cat A Rookies (Dylan Buckley, Sam Reid, Mumford?, Sproule*)

* given you can only have 3 Cat B rookies I'm assuming someone like Sproule is moved to being a Cat A rookie. Would also think we will keep one Cat A rookie spot open in case we need to make use of the mid season rookie draft, or we could follow the path of the tigers and use the Mumford rule to also pick a young guy who missed out on being drafted but think that is unlikely
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-26/tigers-seek-draft-lifeline-for-overlooked-wa-star

Taking into account the list is
39 main list
4 Cat A rookies (Including Mumford)
3 Cat B rookies
If the club does need to it has a rookie spot available if required and am I right in thinking that this new rule allows the club to use an inactive list if required?

Looking to 2019 draft it looks like it'll be an Academy selection heavy draft with Tom Green currently the premier inside midfielder in the crop and Liam Delahunty expected to play a big role in the ALLIES side it could be two first round bids.

It will be interesting to see how they progress next year and the chance is there for both to be 1st rounders but I think the recruiters see through the media hype over some of the Northern Academy players, for example some media had Bailey Scott and Macfadyn around the 20's and both were in the 40's and I think Briggs was another who went around where I thought he would

Also looking at the 2018 draft I have mixed feelings.
Hately, O'Halloran, Hill and Briggs I'm very happy with, all address areas of need or represent great value at their selection.

I have concerns over Caldwells injury history, especially with our track record I think its a very high risk selection. Personally didn't rate Idun as a National Draft selection. Finally I don't see why we didn't match a bid for Walker, great forward marking target who is a hard worker in the forward 50 and would've cost us a pick in the 80's

Agree on Caldwell but I see a risk but not that great and I think he was the best pick at that draft choice for the club, Idun is a strange one but obviously the recruiters saw something in him and looking forward to seeing him play and I would have liked the club to match the Walker bid instead but we can revisit in several years and see where the 2 of them are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back