Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

Great player but cruelled by injury and likely to not be able to get back to his best and I think that salary is better used on some of the younger players although if he gets back for the last 6-8 rounds + finals (hopefully) we can see how he performs and see how the forward line works with him but I dont think he is worth what he is rumoured to be on (700? or around that)
With his salary I would hope if the club does look at a trade it is not a Scully type trade but those last few games will determine trade value if patton and the club agree on that option
The other one in a similar situation is Buntine and again I think it will come down to how his season goes and what direction the player and club decide to go

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I think Patton, Bunts and Corr are in danger this year of being traded. Given the poor history of our medical department, we are probably better off trading players we cant manage ourselves to bring in some fresh faces who can get on the park. That being said we should never gift players (like Scully) and would expect better compensation for our players. Patton I view being of similar value to Lobb (late 1st/early 2nd) - slow and not exactly a modern day forward though still has potential to be a Hawkins-esque 40+ goal/year forward, but at the same time, one ACL away from sustaining career-ending damage to his knees. Realistically Corr is probably in the early 2nd round pick area as well but given his mobility and defensive skills, would be hopeful some clubs may offer a later 1st round pick. Bunts would be a good depth player for any club including us, and would be more than happy to keep him on if his salary isnt high.

Patton and Corr in particular on higher salaries may be considered given their run with injuries. We have a recent tendency to trade off our injured players at their lowest value too. Deledio and potentially Shaw to retire as well. Losing anyone in the club, especially players who have stuck around from the start definitely flattens morale and sets a poor precedence but in order to keep the players we want (Hopper, Tommo, Cogs and Kelly) unfortunately some well liked, but fringe players may need to be traded.

On a side note, would like to see Shaw managed from time to time with game time given to Cumming. Feel he has the upside to really slot in well with the group. Flynn too would benefit from more time in the ruck - a make or break year from him as well. Whilst the inclusion of Mumford will benefit the team in the short-term, really stunts Flynn's development both in terms of getting a run in the first 22 but Simpson also robbing time from him to take over as the main ruck in NEAFL. Will be interesting to see what happens, but hope we can keep him motivated despite the circumstances. Would be disappointed if he seeks a trade at season's end.

Last edited:

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think Patton, Bunts and Corr are in danger this year of being traded. Given the poor history of our medical department, we are probably better off trading players we cant manage ourselves to bring in some fresh faces who can get on the park. That being said we should never gift players (like Scully) and would expect better compensation for our players. Patton I view being of similar value to Lobb (late 1st/early 2nd) - slow and not exactly a modern day forward though still has potential to be a Hawkins-esque 40+ goal/year forward, but at the same time, one ACL away from sustaining career-ending damage to his knees. Realistically Corr is probably in the early 2nd round pick area as well but given his mobility and defensive skills, would be hopeful some clubs may offer a later 1st round pick. Bunts would be a good depth player for any club including us, and would be more than happy to keep him on if his salary isnt high.

Patton and Corr in particular on higher salaries may be considered given their run with injuries. We have a recent tendency to trade off our injured players at their lowest value too. Deledio and potentially Shaw to retire as well. Losing anyone in the club, especially players who have stuck around from the start definitely flattens morale and sets a poor precedence but in order to keep the players we want (Hopper, Tommo, Cogs and Kelly) unfortunately some well liked, but fringe players may need to be traded.

On a side note, would like to see Shaw managed from time to time with game time given to Cumming. Feel he has the upside to really slot in well with the group. Flynn too would benefit from more time in the ruck - a make or break year from him as well. Whilst the inclusion of Mumford will benefit the team in the short-term, really stunts Flynn's development both in terms of getting a run in the first 22 but Simpson also robbing time from him to take over as the main ruck in NEAFL. Will be interesting to see what happens, but hope we can keep him motivated despite the circumstances. Would be disappointed if he seeks a trade at season's end.

I think Corr must be kept and both him and Buntine wont be on massive coin (400k +/-) and they should both be best 22 for most of the year IMO. Also with the new runner rules I think a premium will be placed on experience on the list and as you say with Shaw and Deledio in their last seasons (probably) that is almost 600 games leaving the club along with the 600 from last year with Griffen, Shiel, Lobb and Scully leaving the club.
I can see Cumming possibly breaking into the team in the next few rounds with Sheridan injured he is the next outside runner/hb in line IMO and hopefully he can have a good run of games and I would like to see him come in for the Freo game
I was bullish on Flynn over pre season but he has not come on after the pre season like I thought he would so I still think he will debut this year but it might just be the one game but hopefully he can have a few games in the NEAFL playing full time ruck to see how he goes and I think that is more likely in the second half of the season when Simpson/Mumford will sit out weeks. I cant see Flynn seeking a trade as he is likely to be second in line next year at this stage

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I agree with Fridgeman on this one. I cannot see why two relatively low wage and experienced guys would be traded out. They are both on the edge of the 22 and playing reasonably regularly when fit. If we lose BOTH lids and Shaw this year we will need them to lead on the field.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

Nice to see.

Kenner’s locked away for a while while de Boer gets another one.

Although, he’s only 29, I’m a little surprised it’s not 2. I know his other contracts with us have only ever been 1 year and maybe that’s how he likes it - but given his status in the club, on field and off, and his form, 2 would not have been a stretch.

From a club perspective, if you can lock away a mature player who isn't about to walk out on one year deals it makes perfect sense to because it means you can calibrate his pay (or delisting) to his actual performance instead of overpaying based off past performance.

Given we picked up de Boer as a DFA I suspect he's aware how much interest there would be out there from other teams so is fine to go year to year.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Kenners is a massive player for us I think. Less damaging than Williams off half back but still takes the game on rebounding from 50. He is a personal fav of mine.

MDB was always happening but AK is a solid contributor

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Good to get another couple of signatures and shows the club really has buy in from the group and hopefully others follow suit soon and I am surprised that Kennedy re-signed more than a year out from his current deal but it shows that the club is trying to sign up the mature players that are best 22 long term
I can see contracts being worked on for the draftees as well so hopefully they are announced at some stage soon as well

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Great to have another couple of early sign-ons. Kenners is surprisingly early, I agree, but shows how comfortable and enthusiastic he is to stay. While these are not stars, they are the kind of 'role player' that for years we were told we needed (which we did have!) and serve the 'team first' mantra well. Personally, I think they both contribute a bit more than a role - but are honest and hard-toiling rather than flashy.

On the broader list management strategy, I will repeat my view (I say it every year!) that we should be changing out less players rather than more. Obviously, that desire is always going to be impacted by the issue of $, but we suffer from having to develop the next crop of up and coming players each and every year as opposed to Vic/SA/WA teams being able to maintain a more consistent list (OK, that's a bit simplistic). If Shaw & Deledio do retire (and you'd have to think that every new niggle and injury will weigh heavily on Lids' mind) that would create significant space in terms of both list and TPP. I certainly don't support trading out Corr - OK he's been having some chronic groin issues but unless that's seen as unsolvable I would prefer to keep him otherwise IMHO we're a bit short in KPP (at least until Taylor develops further and probably another KPD is drafted and gets a couple of years on the list). Bunts may be vulnerable as he's sort of in-between - neither a KPP nor a fast counter-attacker. I did think at one stage he could be the Shaw replacement - I'm not sure of that now, but I'm also not determined to move him on. And with the General, his multiple knee operations are a problem, along with the proportion of the TPP he's taking - but I'm also reluctant to end up with a Scully type trade of talent for bugger all return. There's probably a couple of other fringe players such as Lachie Keeffe or Tommy Sheridan who might be moved on. Other than that, if we lose anyone who leaves for more money, there's no real need to push others out.

I don't have a strong view of who may or should move on, and it probably depends on how this year goes, and who we look like we can bring in. We do need to be cognisant of the likely inbound academy kids - Tom Green as an inside midfielder seems a lock at this stage and likely first round pick. Other than that, Liam Delahunty as a KPP (can play both forward or back) is a possible, but likely depends on how he depends throughout this year. He could be anywhere from first to third round. The other possibles at this early stage would be Jeromy Lucas and Matt McGrory, who would each be late picks as outside midfielder types.

A good start with the re-signings we have, but now need a coupe of the stars to sign.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
If Lids, Shaw (feel he might have another year left in him given he is still moving and defending so well) and presumably Mumford all retire and Essendon finish closer to the bottom than the top, we should have a good opportunity to rebuild a really strong depth of players again. Really hope we can hold onto our 2018 crop of draftees with no young players requesting a trade home so early on. I have my fingers crossed we can hold onto players like Corr and Finlayson too as I see what they offer to the team, but will be hoping they do not get disgruntled having to fight for their spots amid a strong line-up whereas they could be certain starting 22s in other teams who are also potentially willing to pay them more as well. Personally, I am not too sure where Patton will fit into the line-up when he returns given our forward line looks to be settling - would love for him to stay given he has been with us from the start, but even given the ramifications on culture not sure I would want to do that at the expense of multiple other young talents we need to re-sign. The other player (to a lesser degree) I am not too sure we would keep on experimenting with is Jack Buckley. His rookie contract is coming to an end this year and with Delahunty being a promising academy prospect, not convinced we need to keep him on. On top of Green and Delahunty, another good inside/outside midfielder pending Essendon's ladder position (Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Kemp, Stephens) and a HB/winger (which Sheridan/Reid could potentially cover if we cannot fill that hole this year) would be the main priorities.

2020 Best 22
FB: Haynes Davis Cumming
HB: Kennedy Taylor Williams
C: Whitfield Ward Tomlinson
HF: Daniels Cameron MDB
FF: Langdon Himmelberg Greene
R: Simpson Kelly Coniglio
INT: Hopper Taranto Perryman Corr

2020 Reserves
FB: Stein Keefe Buntine
HB: Finlayson Idun ...
C: Hately T.Green Shipley
HF: O'Hallaran Sproule Hill
FF: Brown Delahunty Lloyd
R: Flynn Caldwell Bonar
INT: Briggs Sheridan Reid D.Buckley

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Hopper is out of contract at the end of this season, along with a number of high-profile Giants like Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio and Adam Tomlinson.
Hopper, was drafted to the club via the Giants' Academy in 2015, said his management are in discussions for a new deal. "I love the club and we're in some really good talks with the club at the minute. I'm really settled in Sydney now and I'm feeling good about the situation," he said. "Sydney's a great place and I'm really settled in now. It's my fourth year now so I've got that comfortability amongst the group, made some really good relationships and we've got really strong connections."
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-15/gun-young-giant-ready-to-step-up-in-wards-absence

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
About 6 weeks out from the mid season rookie draft. Wards injury allows us another pick should we need it.

Where do we think we will end up? I would like to see us invest in someone like Freeman. It’s a free hit at a highly rated player. Yes he has injury concerns but he fixed his hamstrings in a surgery before he was delisted (apparently)

About 6 weeks out from the mid season rookie draft. Wards injury allows us another pick should we need it.

Where do we think we will end up? I would like to see us invest in someone like Freeman. It’s a free hit at a highly rated player. Yes he has injury concerns but he fixed his hamstrings in a surgery before he was delisted (apparently)
Playing good footy at Frankston apparently, could do a lot worse

Brave New World

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2009
AFL Club
GWS

Is Mumford still on the rookie list, and if yes whose spot is he filling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back