Opinion 2019 Non Crows - Watts love got to do with it? #pick1herewecome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You keep describing mid 2000s Footy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm talking about in the attacking phase, I hope you realise.

It’s about the players who can get to the contest pressing and putting pressure on the ball carrier AND the players who are on the next line protecting outlets by picking up a man AND the players beyond that guarding space.

You’ll work it out.

I'm sure this will be the year, Janus.

I'm talking about in the attacking phase, I hope you realise.
Poorly articulated then.

Anyway there are certainly elements of this style of defence still in play.

The context of the the Gridiron metaphor is more about the way the game is broken down.

Soccer is a free flowing game with limited stoppages over two halves of 45 minutes. Gridiron is virtually the opposite.

The coaches now break the game up into those stoppages and break the game down into a series of plays for both offence and defence. Rather than a pure free form. Players now expected to read the game better than before.

Our game is still free form and from the outside we would not know the way the players and coaches see the game as a series of stoppages. Apart from the obvious ones.

Defending is now more physical and emphasis on not just stopping the immediate ball handler, but receivers.

This is how a person in the industry explained it to me. Not some wishful thinking faux intellect on BigFooty.

Feel free to use this template to conflate your own knowledge of game plans and strategy.

"We're increasing <insert fitness facet here> by <insert number here>%. This will allow us to improve in <insert modern sporting tactical term here> because of the change in <insert modern sporting tactical term here>. Haven't you seen <insert well-known coach from other sport here> and how he runs the program at <insert successful sporting team here>? It's pretty obvious."

Fourth phase Jack Watts becomes the best half forward in the AFL and the recruit of the year.

Or was that last years prediction, I've lost track?

And let’s not forget that this is the person who posted that Geelong were a great team not because of the three premierships they won recently, but just for the first one in 2007

And that the crap that Port have dished up in recent years is really part of a long term plan to dominate the competition with their unique brand of football. Which of course is why they’re changing that brand this year

No amount of smiling winky emojis and “oh I really don’t care about football, I’m just a philosopher on life’s great journey” can hide the crap

Fancy putting pressure on the ball carrier and having guys and space manned up down field incase the ball gets out.

It's genius.

But wait, there’s more!

Apparently when you are putting pressure on the ball carrier - so, you don’t have the ball - and manning up further down the field - because you don’t have the ball - that’s known as “the attacking phase”

And there was I all this time thinking that when they have the ball you’re defending, and when you get it you can attack

I’m told that heat maps can fry your brain

Poorly articulated then.

Anyway there are certainly elements of this style of defence still in play.

The context of the the Gridiron metaphor is more about the way the game is broken down.

Soccer is a free flowing game with limited stoppages over two halves of 45 minutes. Gridiron is virtually the opposite.

The coaches now break the game up into those stoppages and break the game down into a series of plays for both offence and defence. Rather than a pure free form. Players now expected to read the game better than before.

Defending is now more physical and emphasis on not just stopping the immediate ball handler, but receivers.

This is how a person in the industry explained it to me. Not some wishful thinking faux intellect on BigFooty.

American football also has audibles and broken plays. At a stoppage, sure, there are specific setups. That's the main reason why the AFL brought in the 6-6-6 rule and the new kick in rule...to reduce the amount of stoppages in a game, because it looks terrible. If it was always like it is at a centre clearance, with set numbers around the ball, it would be awesome. But it's not - it's this disgusting rolling scrum, which makes it more about broken plays than anything. Unless you're playing a really poor team, there's no way anything is going to come off exactly how you planned it to.

That's why Pyke was always a strong advocate for 'play what's in front of you'.

American football also has audibles and broken plays. At a stoppage, sure, there are specific setups. That's the main reason why the AFL brought in the 6-6-6 rule and the new kick in rule...to reduce the amount of stoppages in a game, because it looks terrible. If it was always like it is at a centre clearance, with set numbers around the ball, it would be awesome. But it's not - it's this disgusting rolling scrum, which makes it more about broken plays than anything. Unless you're playing a really poor team, there's no way anything is going to come off exactly how you planned it to.

That's why Pyke was always a strong advocate for 'play what's in front of you'.
A stoppage also includes when a player has the ball and no real "stop" in play. You are using the literal terminology of stoppage. Basically any time one team has complete control of the ball is the reset.

It is a mindset on positioning and your role in that moment after reading the play. Every player should know their role and where they should be on the ground. And every player has to be able to switch role and positioning dependant on what is happening with the ball and the next phase of play.

The evolution of GPS has aided this greatly. What we see in regards to info from these units is the tip of the iceberg.

It’s about the players who can get to the contest pressing and putting pressure on the ball carrier AND the players who are on the next line protecting outlets by picking up a man AND the players beyond that guarding space.

You’ll work it out.

I love that you bring your voodoo logic over here for a laugh.

J Anus - when one board's ridicule and mockery just isn't enough

First phase (the players that know the contest is coming to their area of the ground) - Physical pressure that will affect the contest.

Second phase (the players that know that if the first phase players aren't able to win the contest, the ball will be coming to their area (the secondary contest)) - Man marking.

Third phase (the players that have no influence on the contest or the secondary contest) - Zonal spacing.

Easy :)
Fourth phase reappoint shit coach
Fifth phase - play a stupid game in China

A stoppage also includes when a player has the ball and no real "stop" in play. You are using the literal terminology of stoppage. Basically any time one team has complete control of the ball is the reset.

Basically it is a mindset on positioning and your role in that moment after reading the play. Every player should know their role and where they should be on the ground.

The evolution of GPS has aided this greatly. What we see in regards to info from these units is the tip of the iceberg.

Too rigid. What happens when a particular role is being disrupted? It throws the whole system into chaos. A quarterback has a maximum of 4 reads he has to make before he throws a pass or decides to scramble, because his field of vision is only 180 degrees - he doesn't have to worry about opponents coming from behind to sack him.

Don't worry, I study NFL too. You look at all the dynasty teams and they all have a coach who advocated player agency and the ability to coach themselves based on what the opposition was doing - whether it be the Lakers/Bulls of Phil Jackson's era, the Patriots of Belichick's era or the Hawks of the Clarkson era.

What you are talking about should only be the easel, palette, brushes and paint. The actual painting - how it's executed - shouldn't be determined by the coaches, but by the players. That's how flags are won. The coach gets the team to the grand final, but the players have to win it, because there isn't a 'next week' to address any issues that come up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too rigid. What happens when a particular role is being disrupted? It throws the whole system into chaos. A quarterback has a maximum of 4 reads he has to make before he throws a pass or decides to scramble, because his field of vision is only 180 degrees - he doesn't have to worry about opponents coming from behind to sack him.

Don't worry, I study NFL too. You look at all the dynasty teams and they all have a coach who advocated player agency and the ability to coach themselves based on what the opposition was doing - whether it be the Lakers/Bulls of Phil Jackson's era, the Patriots of Belichick's era or the Hawks of the Clarkson era.

What you are talking about should only be the easel, palette, brushes and paint. The actual painting - how it's executed - shouldn't be determined by the coaches, but by the players. That's how flags are won. The coach gets the team to the grand final, but the players have to win it, because there isn't a 'next week' to address any issues that come up.
I think the concept has gone over your head.

You are taking it too literally.

He is NOT a SHE!!

Ah, the argument was from so long ago i forgot how it ended

HE is still boring as watching paint grow, why people want HIM to post here and not Carlton flogs is beyond my understanding

Ah, the argument was from so long ago i forgot how it ended

HE is still boring as watching paint grow, why people want HIM to post here and not Carlton flogs is beyond my understanding
You and me both. But ONE of us can actually do something about that.... just sayin'.

Sitting behind the ball as a unit IS mid 2000s footy. Today's footy relies more on controlling the ball and the play. Defending outlets rather than clogging space. Why? Because blokes like Al Clarkson worked out if you've got the ball you control the game and if you're skilled enough, and patient enough, you can beat a flood every time.

Spot on. If you have the ball, and you have skill by foot, you are in control. If you don't have the ball, and your main priority is flooding or sitting behind the ball, then your shape will eventually break down because defences can never be still. That's one of the reasons why patient frontal pressure works.

Is AFLX supposed to be the biggest bait-and-switch in sporting history?

Draft teams filled with star players, then have half the players pull out before hand, replacing them with spuds the clubs approve of using.

So far, Wingard, May, Gray, Breust, Smith, and Tarrant are all out and presumably more will pull out as it approaches

You strike me as the type of person to watch Al Pacino's speech in "Any Given Sunday" before you come on BF or watch a powa game.... Just to get yourself in the zone...

You strike me as the type of person to watch Al Pacino's speech in "Any Given Sunday" before you come on BF or watch a powa game.... Just to get yourself in the zone...

b3VyCq.gif

Janus listening to Ken at the convention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back