Competitions 2019 Phantom Draft

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 26, Sydney

Will Day. He’s athletic, nice size and great skills. Gets the footy enough. I don’t love guys THAT thin because they don’t really have the body type to fill out. If he can get strong enough he can have an afl career.

I think he’s a pretty good get at this pick.

Pick 26, Sydney

Will Day. He’s athletic, nice size and great skills. Gets the footy enough. I don’t love guys THAT thin because they don’t really have the body type to fill out. If he can get strong enough he can have an afl career.

I think he’s a pretty good get at this pick.

Not everyone is a Fyfe, but nothing some good supplements can't take care of.

Will Day is an intriguing prospect. Reminds me a little of another Will...Hayward. Sos sure liked him too.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Picks 27 & 28 North Melbourne.

When taking on North here, i wanted to do the job as if working for North as against purely selectiing my personal favourites.
I reckon every clubs rank and file supporters know their clubs needs best so to that end, i wandered over to the North board for some feedback which i received and will duly try to honour here.

Pick 27.

Jay Rantall ... Vic country.
185cm ... 83kg.

Rantall is an athletic midfielder, a hard running endurance machine.
He is good at the stoppage and can play inside and out.
Rantall played national level basketball so is obviously a very gifted and natural sporting talent with potentially huge upside once he enters an elite AFL club environment.

Pick 28.

Elijah Taylor ... WA.
188cm ... 77kg.

It’s no secret North are in the market for a classy forward.
Elijah Taylor is that.
Taylor has extreme ability, the mid year champs showcased his marking, goal kicking and willingness to take the game on.
Taylor backed all this up with a very strong performance at the combine.

That completes phase 1 of the operation.
With picks 46 & 49, we will attempt to seal the deal for North as requested.

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Pick 29 - Adelaide - Cameron Taheny

Would've gone with Taylor but red bull snatched him with the previous pick. I considered foxing here and grabbing a KPP but I'm not sure Taheny would've lasted until my next pick and he is too good to miss out on.
Taheny is a half forward with excellent, underrated breakaway speed, a good pair of hands and a good goal sense. Had some very promising games in the SANFL seniors with 15 goals in his first four games but a disappointing national champs where he battled some niggles. Easily top ten on talent and I'm not sure he hasn't been laying down a bit in the hopes of getting to an SA club.
Pretty happy to pick up a talent like this here in such a shallow draft.

TerryWallet

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 30 Port: Harry Schoenberg

Port need a midfield regeneration pretty soon. Ebert, Boak, Rocky and Grey are running on fumes and who knows with Ollie. They've got a couple of prospects already in the club but they definately need a few more shots in the locker. I was hoping Schoenberg would drop to here as he's the one i really like the look of as much as a few much higher rated types in what is an even mid crop imo. He is in the teens on my Board.

Schoenberg isn't poor at any facet but some may say not elite at any facet. But i think he is a "gee i played well again though didn't i" guy. I think he more than held his own against and with his onball peers at the Champs, and continued his good form right through to the GF in the Sanfl 2's. His style, and perhaps underrating, reminds me of Shuey. Gets it done.

For Port from here i will match any bid for Mead but i couldn't have taken him before this bloke.

Donstuie , it's your time to redraft Baguley for * :)

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Sydney selects Sam Philp. Quick, good athlete. Hard at it. And improving a lot through the year which I like. Not sure about his kicking is probably my main concern. He didn’t feature at champs which means we haven’t really seen him tested against the best.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
I have a couple I am interested in, however it is early for the types. Revert to best available, Mitch O'Neill a possible, but would not complement the likes of Lachie Neale and Zorko overly well, so comes down to...

Pick 34 - Brisbane - Harrison Jones
25/02/2001 | 196cm/78kg | Key Position Utility CALDER CANNONS/VIC METRO
(again with thanks to AFL Draft Central)
"The key position forward has really upped his game in 2019 to include key position defender and ruck in his repertoire. The ultimate utility, Jones moves well around the ground and finds space, but is a beanpole at 194cm and just 75kg. He is a long-term prospect, but with his long kick and ability to hit the scoreboard from long range, Jones is an eyecatcher who will likely land at a club somewhere in the second round."

Definitely a beanpole, project type, but perhaps just what is required. Slow burn, high ceiling type with bona fides at both ends of the ground. Moves away from the Country safer pick model adopted by Brisbane, but perhaps the time is right. Notably the text in the Draft Central profile lists him 2cm shorter than the official heights from the combine. The lad is still growing.

Not a pick I envisaged taking, but the best on offer.

HARKER

Pick 35: Collingwood - Mitch O'Neill

I liked what I saw of O'Neill last year and not sure why he isn't being talked about this year, given dual AA's
Has all the attributes to be a good little player - speed, agility, finds his own ball etc.

BTW - I thought he'd last to here but had Jones in the mix should he be taken earlier.
I know who Collingwood people are talking about for here and I get it, but they could do worse than to have some new energy around the ball.

Blugazi - You're up.

Pick 35: Collingwood - Mitch O'Neill

I liked what I saw of O'Neill last year and not sure why he isn't being talked about this year, given dual AA's
Has all the attributes to be a good little player - speed, agility, finds his own ball etc.

BTW - I thought he'd last to here but had Jones in the mix should he be taken earlier.
I know who Collingwood people are talking about for here and I get it, but they could do worse than to have some new energy around the ball.

Blugazi - You're up.

As you alluded to earlier, Harks, the Pies can draft any position and call it both best available and that it fills a need. They could do a lot worse than Jones should it play out like this.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 29 - Adelaide - Cameron Taheny

Would've gone with Taylor but red bull snatched him with the previous pick. I considered foxing here and grabbing a KPP but I'm not sure Taheny would've lasted until my next pick and he is too good to miss out on.
Taheny is a half forward with excellent, underrated breakaway speed, a good pair of hands and a good goal sense. Had some very promising games in the SANFL seniors with 15 goals in his first four games but a disappointing national champs where he battled some niggles. Easily top ten on talent and I'm not sure he hasn't been laying down a bit in the hopes of getting to an SA club.
Pretty happy to pick up a talent like this here in such a shallow draft.

TerryWallet

Another steal, great selection

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Picks 27 & 28 North Melbourne.

When taking on North here, i wanted to do the job as if working for North as against purely selectiing my personal favourites.
I reckon every clubs rank and file supporters know their clubs needs best so to that end, i wandered over to the North board for some feedback which i received and will duly try to honour here.

Pick 27.

Jay Rantall ... Vic country.
185cm ... 83kg.

Rantall is an athletic midfielder, a hard running endurance machine.
He is good at the stoppage and can play inside and out.
Rantall played national level basketball so is obviously a very gifted and natural sporting talent with potentially huge upside once he enters an elite AFL club environment.

Pick 28.

Elijah Taylor ... WA.
188cm ... 77kg.

It’s no secret North are in the market for a classy forward.
Elijah Taylor is that.
Taylor has extreme ability, the mid year champs showcased his marking, goal kicking and willingness to take the game on.
Taylor backed all this up with a very strong performance at the combine.

That completes phase 1 of the operation.
With picks 46 & 49, we will attempt to seal the deal for North as requested.

Taylor at 28, bargain

Blugazi

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 36 - Hugo Ralphsmith
The Cat's are going to go with yet another raw prospect in Ralphsmith. Played most of the year in the forward line where he showed some freakish talent. Long-term would be hoping he could develop some midfield consistency, certainly has some handy tools.

SOSage Mcgovern

Debutant
Sep 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 38 Rich - Fraser Phillips
An inconsistent but incredibly talented medium forward, Phillips is a
good size but just needs to bulk up a bit further before having an
impact at AFL level. He is someone who has come a long way in a short
time and possesses a damaging left foot kick that can travel a long
distance, and is just as dangerous in the air as he is on the ground. A
clear X-factor up forward, Phillips has massive upside for the future.

Will need a few years to develop his body but when he does look out! Kicked 28 for Gippsland Power and in a few years time will be competing with Castagna for a mid-size forward role.

Back to me!

Back