News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

GrommoT

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
You should never look to move backwards but only forwards. By this I mean that any deal for pick 4 HAS to be be better than the equivalent of picks 9 & 19. I don't mind if we trade back down but if Geelong say were interested, then they have to pay a kings ransom for it - 14, 17 and 2020 1st with maybe a later pick (ie 2020 3rd) going back otherwise it just does not seem worthwile. If it was 4 & 28 for freo's 7 & 10, then I'd consider that as we will still get a similar player at 7 and get another good one at 10
Well yes, we should try to get the most we can if we choose to split #4. But if we can't make a profit from splitting #4 but still be better off splitting it, you'd stick with not splitting #4 and not do better (for where we're at) than we could have otherwise?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crow till I die

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well yes, we should try to get the most we can if we choose to split #4. But if we can't make a profit from splitting #4 but still be better off splitting it, you'd stick with not splitting #4 and not do better (for where we're at) than we could have otherwise?
I'd be inclined to not split it if we did not win from a split in terms of pick gain and take 4 to the draft to get a very top end kid rather than 2 kids at the back end of the 1st round

Carmo

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think this is a possibility now the AFL allows trading at the time of the bid.

GWS will just trade out pick 6 & bring in more points.
Sweet, since we're well placed to get them points they need, pick 4 and 6 here we come. What a coup if we can convert those two back to say 6 7 and 10 or 6 14 and 17.

Dudersaurus

Team Captain
Oct 7, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think this is a possibility now the AFL allows trading at the time of the bid.

GWS will just trade out pick 6 & bring in more points.
The trade after bid thing is a poor call on behalf of afl, but frankly not a big game changer.

The merit in trading around bids is to get picks before a bid. If we bid at 4, GWS don't benefit much from trading at that point. They only benefit if they trade before the bid to get a player then match for the later bid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JennyTalia

Team Captain
Mar 24, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
You should never look to move backwards but only forwards. By this I mean that any deal for pick 4 HAS to be be better than the equivalent of picks 9 & 19. I don't mind if we trade back down but if Geelong say were interested, then they have to pay a kings ransom for it - 14, 17 and 2020 1st with maybe a later pick (ie 2020 3rd) going back otherwise it just does not seem worthwile. If it was 4 & 28 for freo's 7 & 10, then I'd consider that as we will still get a similar player at 7 and get another good one at 10
As a young boy I dreamed of being a football. But tonight I say we must move forwards not backwards, upwards not forwards, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards draft picks.

Kane McGoodwin

TheBrownDog
May 21, 2001
Floating around the Universe
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
The trade after bid thing is a poor call on behalf of afl, but frankly not a big game changer.

The merit in trading around bids is to get picks before a bid. If we bid at 4, GWS don't benefit much from trading at that point. They only benefit if they trade before the bid to get a player then match for the later bid.
Yes, I appreciate that, but GWS don't have the necessary points & would go into significant deficit next year.

So unless they are desperate for 2 top 5 players, which I doubt, they are better of downgrading pick 6 for more points if there is a bid on Green prior.

Kane McGoodwin

TheBrownDog
May 21, 2001
Floating around the Universe
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Sweet, since we're well placed to get them points they need, pick 4 and 6 here we come. What a coup if we can convert those two back to say 6 7 and 10 or 6 14 and 17.
If we are keen to 2 players in the top 10, we should be looking at opportunities to do so. Freo has been talked about, but yes we could do a deal with GWS at pick 4 for pick 6 where we promise not to bid on green & package up some points for them. Expect would need a 3rd club involved.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Every club supporter wants these deals heavily favoring them .....but thats not the reality
Why would Freo be interested at all in trading up? I just can't see it unless it's for pick 3 which gives them carte blanche to select any player other than the big 2 and Green and still get their Academy guy Henry via points even if they go into deficit anyhow? Or am I reading it all wrong? 7 and 10 gets them their Academy guy Liam Henry and another prospective top liner anyhow.....only other WA player likely to go in the top 10 is Luke Jackson even though there is some real quality from WA in this particular draft, better than SA in this draft IMO.

WaynesWorld19

TheBrownDog
Nov 6, 2003
Baghdad
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide, Baghdad Bombers
Why would Freo be interested at all in trading up? I just can't see it unless it's for pick 3 which gives them carte blanche to select any player other than the big 2 and Green and still get their Academy guy Henry via points even if they go into deficit anyhow? Or am I reading it all wrong? 7 and 10 gets them their Academy guy Liam Henry and another prospective top liner anyhow.....only other WA player likely to go in the top 10 is Luke Jackson even though there is some real quality from WA in this particular draft, better than SA in this draft IMO.
Agreed .....only thing I can think of is if ADEL or SYD bid on Henry .....If I understand corrctly, this would require FREO using pick #7 and #10 would slide back due to points required ....but I can't see that scenario happening

Holding #7 and #10 .....will get FREO two top lads ....Henry and "maybe" Jackson ......but I reckon Jackson to MELB at #8 is a real possibility

ams4crows

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Agreed .....only thing I can think of is if ADEL or SYD bid on Henry .....If I understand corrctly, this would require FREO using pick #7 and #10 would slide back due to points required ....but I can't see that scenario happening

Holding #7 and #10 .....will get FREO two top lads ....Henry and "maybe" Jackson ......but I reckon Jackson to MELB at #8 is a real possibility
Jackson at 3 4 5 or 6, all of Melbourne, Us Sydney and Gws have expressed intrest in him. After Melbourne's pick 3 if Jackson is there Freo will be on the phone to us. Asking what do you want for 4

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
They need to have the balls to use pick 4 and pick an absolute gun.

I hear alot about how good Hamish actually is, well this is his chance to prove it.

If he is as good as people say then he will nail pick 4.

ams4crows

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
They need to have the balls to use pick 4 and pick an absolute gun.

I hear alot about how good Hamish actually is, well this is his chance to prove it.

If he is as good as people say then he will nail pick 4.
The problem with that is he'll have to pick someone that turns out as good or better than Dangerfield for people to believe he got it right.... that just ain't happening.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem with that is he'll have to pick someone that turns out as good or better than Dangerfield for people to believe he got it right.... that just ain't happening.
Flanders is probably the closest player to Dangerfield stylistically around pick 4 in this draft apart from a bit of size...a fair bit more reliable with his goal kicking than Dangerfield though.

Top Bottom