2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd walk away. Martin has incredible talent but he has never shown the consistency required to be worth a top 10 pick in a trade and he is 24 now - can't just rely on potential. I think 15-18 is probably about right actually.

Stringer went for 25 and 30 and was a far better performed player, though that trade was mainly just the dogs wanting to get rid of him so its probably a reasonably cheap one.

Initially I was thinking Walker & the 2nd round pick we got from the Suns (20ish?), maybe that was overs (forgetting the fact that the Suns might not want Walker).

Sier is someone I’d pursue. Ultimately, with Berry out I’ve noticed we don’t have any 190+ midfielders other than him. Although they aren’t crucial by any means, they are a special type of midfielder and I think having more than one (whether they both play or not) would be really good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sier is someone I’d pursue. Ultimately, with Berry out I’ve noticed we don’t have any 190+ midfielders other than him. Although they aren’t crucial by any means, they are a special type of midfielder and I think having more than one (whether they both play or not) would be really good.

Now that Beams is out for 12 weeks we n the magpies will get to see more of what Siers has to offer at the top level.

I'm suprised there isn't any talk of Isaac Smith on here. Aside from a running half back (could be Bailey?), and a lock down small def (Answerth?) I think a running wingman is our next greatest need - Brad Hill destroyed us in this role. Cutler and Bastinac won't be around unfortunately.

He'll be 31 in Dec and won't cost much - our 2nd rounder maybe? Pick 30 or so?

He'd have a relationship with fagan and Hodge already - and it'd be a win win if Hawks are in a rebuild.

Whilst talented I'm not sure it's a need - Berry, Neale, Lyons all play similar roles with Ely Smith, Starc both big inside mids waiting.

I'm suprised there isn't any talk of Isaac Smith on here. Aside from a running half back (could be Bailey?), and a lock down small def (Answerth?) I think a running wingman is our next greatest need - Brad Hill destroyed us in this role. Cutler and Bastinac won't be around unfortunately.

He'd have a relationship with fagan and Hodge already - and it'd be a win win if Hawks are in a rebuild.
I would have been all for it a couple of years ago but IMO he has been down this year and appears to be on the decline, even though a player like him would be great it's a pass from me on Isaac.

Hanley is OOC this year. How about another cheap trade with GC, we can move Bailey to wing and Hanley can slot in HBF. I know we had our issues with him but we could get a better version this time with an opportunity for finals footy/premiership..

Hanley is OOC this year. How about another cheap trade with GC, we can move Bailey to wing and Hanley can slot in HBF. I know we had our issues with him but we could get a better version this time with an opportunity for finals footy/premiership..

leopards and their damn spots.

I would have been all for it a couple of years ago but IMO he has been down this year and appears to be on the decline, even though a player like him would be great it's a pass from me on Isaac.

You might be right.

He's barely missed a game in 5 years and seems to be the type to keep himself in good nick - not a crash and bash player. He's also got finals experience which could come in handy over the next few years.

If we're going to look to push further next year we're allowed to have a couple of older guys around - if we're in for the here and now he's a good piece, for not much outlay. We don't have time to draft a winger and wait 3 years for him to come on.

A no too for me on Smith. Prefer to have someone who will be around when we're contending. If Lewie continues his resurgence he could take on the running wingman role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a left-field thought:

Carlton has a history of not getting the best our of their young guns (they've had PLENTY), Lions are a side on the up, everyone knows it. The coaching is getting so much out of the young guns and there is CLEAR incentives for young players to go to Brissy and Carlton has a young gun who is a Lions supporter. Yes it would cost a fortune but hey, why not go for Walsh?

Here's a left-field thought:

Carlton has a history of not getting the best our of their young guns (they've had PLENTY), Lions are a side on the up, everyone knows it. The coaching is getting so much out of the young guns and there is CLEAR incentives for young players to go to Brissy and Carlton has a young gun who is a Lions supporter. Yes it would cost a fortune but hey, why not go for Walsh?
SPS was a Lions supporter growing up too(Not that it means anything once they enter the AFL). If we can bring Bolton on board as an assistant coach I wonder if one of the Blues younger players would want to follow him to the Lions?

Coniglio set to re-sign with GWS apparently. They've done well to re-sign him and Josh Kelly. Attention will now turn to Lachie Whitfield who is a FA next year. Honestly could not think of a better player to compliment our current team. His skills and run would be fantastic for us and would give us that extra A grader to push us towards top 4. Highly unlikely he'd join us you'd think, in fact I expect him to stay with GWS, however, I hope Noble and the recruitment staff make every effort possible to lure him to the club. Would be a massive get. With GWS paying the likes of Kelly, Coniglio and Cameron big money, I'd say we and most other clubs in the league could offer Lachie more. He may not be highly motivated by money though. You'd think the appeal of success with GWS would weigh heavily on his mind. If he is open to exploring his options, however, I hope he considers Brisbane an attractive enough destination to at least sit down with Fagan/Noble/Swann and let them sell him their vision for the club. I think Fagan/Noble would be one of the best off field duo's in the league when it comes to selling a vision. They've already done it with the likes of Charlie and Neale.

SPS was a Lions supporter growing up too(Not that it means anything once they enter the AFL). If we can bring Bolton on board as an assistant coach I wonder if one of the Blues younger players would want to follow him to the Lions?

A good idea. Would love Walsh but from what I've read he seems the loyal type. But then if Walsh and Bolton were close and he thinks Carlton screwed him over,who knows?

Whitfield would be the best possible outcome TBH but I would consider it unlikely. Still i never thought Neale would come to us. I would be having a look at Brandon Ellis from the Tigers as an option, especially given he's a FA. Would be nice to pick up a decent player without having to give up much trade wise.

If you could swing someone like him in FA and Petrevski seaton type in a trade (can't be bothered trying to look to far so i'll use a player already mentioned) that would certainly put us in pretty good shape IMO.

Add those two names along with Martyn and Coleman from the academy and you've got the makings of a pretty successfull offseason. Couple of running wing options and a backline runner. Guess it doesn't solve the whole running defender thing in the short term but from how we're looking to play now i'm not sure its quite as crucial as it was. You get Bailey back and add Coleman as a developing option in that position with Ellis and SPS as wing options and Ellis with the ability to play in the backline as well then you're covering a fair few bases

Last edited:
I reckon Coniglio is still more likely to go than Whitfield.

Brad Crouch would be an interesting option - injury prone, has shown promise when on the field, not an SA boy, could convince him by pointing at our injury list.

Lachie Whitfield would be THE dream trade for us, exactly the type of player we need.

Can you imagine Neale, Lyons, Berry and Matheison rotating on the inside feeding it out to our runners McCluggage, Whitfield, Taylor and Bailey.
giphy.gif

A good idea. Would love Walsh but from what I've read he seems the loyal type. But then if Walsh and Bolton were close and he thinks Carlton screwed him over,who knows?

Walsh has already signed a contract extension until 2022. I don't think he's going to demand to leave after his coach of 10 games is let go. Plus Carlton would never ever let him leave.

Plus despite being terrible for years Carlton really have lost any young talent. One of the perks of being a big Victorian club I guess.

Our CEO is on record saying we are only after really good players......Isaac was really good 2 or 3 yrs ago.....now injury prone and not as dynamic.

Ideally i think from this point, you want to add FAs where possible so we can keep adding young talent to build depth. Decent enough younger players like SPS would still be worth the trade price of a decent pick. I do hope with our good performance this year, we might be able to really lure someone across. Even if we dont get much this season, line up a solid FA next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back