Draft Watcher 2019 Young (SA) Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi Chris. Ogilvie was interviewed today and said that Tariek Newchurch is the mystery NGA player that Adelaide has access to next year as well.

do you know anything about him?
Just had a look, gee whiz his under age year was pretty bloody good in the U18's this year.

Chris25 would you as a Fremantle fan consider 29 and 34 for 22 and 58 on draft night if the bid for Henry comes after Fremantle’s pick 10?

If a bid came in and I had no other offers, then maybe. It would give a small improvement to the overall draft picture. But it wouldn't be my priority.

The goal for Fremantle has to be trading 22 up to get a third pick in before a bid. If it gets past Hawthorn and Port, I'd be packaging 22 and future picks to get Sharp in.

hi Chris. Ogilvie was interviewed today and said that Tariek Newchurch is the mystery NGA player that Adelaide has access to next year as well.

do you know anything about him?

I can't offer much. I had his name down as one for next year, but I don't tend to focus too much on the underage players. Medium sized forward at 185cm, he had a few big games in front of goal which were hard to ignore.

And while I'm talking about Adelaide, I know everyone has jumped on them being into McAsey...one person starts a rumour in the media and suddenly it's true, but surely not. They can't pass on a potentially elite midfielder in the top 10, not when their picks are perfectly placed to have their pick of the talls in the second round.

I did a top 50 mock draft on the Fremantle board, on the basis that a Liam Henry bid came in slightly later than many are projecting. May as well post it up here too, because who doesn't love a mock...

1. Gold Coast - Matthew Rowell
2. Gold Coast - Noah Anderson
3. Melbourne - Luke Jackson
4. GWS - Hayden Young
5. GWS (matched bid) - Tom Green
6. Sydney - Sam Flanders
7. Adelaide - Dylan Stephens
8. Fremantle - Lachie Ash
9. Geelong (trade) - Fischer McAsey
10. Carlton - Brodie Kemp
11. Fremantle - Deven Robertson
12. Hawthorn - Caleb Serong
13. Port Adelaide - Josh Worrell
14. Western Bulldogs - Myles Bergman
15. Melbourne (trade) - Cody Weightman
16. Fremantle (trade) - Jeremy Sharp
17. Fremantle (matched bid) - Liam Henry
18. Port Adelaide - Trent Bianco
19. Geelong - Will Day
20. Port Adelaide - Kysaiah Pickett
21. Richmond - Cooper Stephens

22. Gold Coast - Trent Rivers
23. Brisbane - Jay Rantall
24. Hawthorn (matched bid) - Finn Maginness
25. Gold Coast (trade) - Will Gould
26. Adelaide - Sam DeKoning
27. Melbourne (trade) - Dylan Williams
28. Port Adelaide (matched bid) - Jackson Mead
29. Sydney - Elijah Taylor
30. North Melbourne - Harry Schoenberg
31. North Melbourne - Hugo Ralphsmith
32. Adelaide - Cameron Taheny
33. Brisbane - Nick Bryan
34. North Melbourne - Darcy Cassar
35. Essendon - Charlie Comben
36. Sydney - Harrison Jones
37. Essendon - Mitch Georgiades
38. Brisbane - Noah Cumberland
39. Collingwood - Cooper Sharman
40. Geelong - Jake Riccardi
41. Adelaide - Karl Finlay
42. Richmond - Thomson Dow
43. Richmond - Brock Smith

44. Richmond - Fraser Phillips
45. Carlton - Sam Philp
46. Sydney - Jack Mahony
47. Adelaide - Darcy Chirgwin
48. West Coast - Callum Jamieson
49. North Melbourne - Mitch O'Neill
50. Collingwood - Dyson Hilder

I included two trades...

Geelong #15 and #25 to Melbourne for #9
Fremantle #23 and a 2020 second rounder (maybe more) to Gold Coast for #16

Doubt Essendon take two key forwards (Comben & Georgiades).

Maybe not, but I think it's where the value is at their picks. And they're obviously very different players - Comben being a ruck/forward, and Georgiades being more of an athletic third tall.

Mitchell O'Neill massive slider :disrelieved:

With Adelaide taking De Koning and North likely looking at a key defender (at least I think they would be), do you see a possibility of North going with Finlay at one of their 27/28?
Our recruiter has said it’s best available up until our last pick(s) at 45 and 49. To quote him “you can never have enough mids”.

Mitchell O'Neill massive slider :disrelieved:

With Adelaide taking De Koning and North likely looking at a key defender (at least I think they would be), do you see a possibility of North going with Finlay at one of their 27/28?

If I was North, I'd consider using the third of their second rounders on a tall. But I don't think there's any need to go early unless the likes of Essendon and Collingwood trade up. Get the midfielders, and then come back and look at the likes of Finlay, Hilder and Pasini.

I did a top 50 mock draft on the Fremantle board, on the basis that a Liam Henry bid came in slightly later than many are projecting. May as well post it up here too, because who doesn't love a mock...

I included two trades...

If GC can’t trade up, I believe it’s more likely they trade pick 20 for a future first.

Talk from out of the actual club is they want top end picks, not accumulating second round picks.

I’m not sure you have to trade in that early to get Jeremy Sharp.

I included two trades...

From a Hawthorn perspective, would be more than happy if Serong slides to our first pick. Because of the trade with North yesterday, there's some talk on Hawks trying to trade in to the late first round again, thoughts on who they might target?

If GC can’t trade up, I believe it’s more likely they trade pick 20 for a future first.

Talk from out of the actual club is they want top end picks, not accumulating second round picks.

One of the teams I think Hawthorn might try and trade with for their future first. I think Hawks would be hoping to get 15 instead of 20 though.

The Suns could theoretically do that too. And end up trading picks 16 and 22 for a future first, future second and still pick at 25 in this draft. Wouldn't be a bad outcome, and a future second can be used to improve their first rounders next year. But I did do this more as a hypothetical for the Fremantle board than anything else.

I think Sharp could be one who surprises, a number of teams late in the first round should be looking at him - Port Adelaide x2, Geelong, Richmond. If Myles Bergman is a first round pick, then Jeremy Sharp should be too. Plus for Fremantle, it's more about getting another pick in before Henry - not so much about value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a Hawthorn perspective, would be more than happy if Serong slides to our first pick. Because of the trade with North yesterday, there's some talk on Hawks trying to trade in to the late first round again, thoughts on who they might target?

I would imagine they'd be preparing to make a play for someone sliding out of the top 10 - Kemp, Robertson, Stephens. Doubt they'd have the draft capital to move into the top 10 for McAsey.

I would imagine they'd be preparing to make a play for someone sliding out of the top 10 - Kemp, Robertson, Stephens. Doubt they'd have the draft capital to move into the top 10 for McAsey.
I'm not sure they would be desperate enough for McAsey to trade up to get him anyway. There are definitely other areas of need. Midfielder (inside and outside) and Small Forwards (pressure forwards) would be a bigger requirement.

Hey Chris,
Great job as always. Just thinking about Will Day and what he offers as a long term prospect, do you think he will be a midfielder long term. Would like him at the Crows but think we need a pick in the teens.

Hey Chris,
Great job as always. Just thinking about Will Day and what he offers as a long term prospect, do you think he will be a midfielder long term. Would like him at the Crows but think we need a pick in the teens.

I think Will Day goes in the late first round, so Adelaide might struggle to get him. There's lots of players in the 15-25 mix, but Day arguably has the most potential. And I think a club could develop him into whatever they want. Probably best as a half back at the moment, but he has outside midfielder potential and once he bulks up a bit...who knows.

What's Bryan like as a ruckman? Haven't heard squat about him is he a reach at 33 for Brisbane

It's probably at the top of his range, but he's flashed some good signs this year and he's athletic for his size. I think he could develop into a #1 ruck long term, one of only three players in the draft I think has that potential - along with Jackson and Jamieson. Brisbane are set for an interesting draft if they're as committed to Cumberland and Coleman as some posters seem to think, so after taking the best available midfielder with their first pick I think they could look taller with their second.

I included two trades...

Worst case scenario for port

Worrell Bianco Pickett would be a ******* nightmare. Massive massive bust potential and reaches galore. Don’t even see Bianco and Pickett as having big upsides to make up for the risk.

Worrell Bianco Pickett would be a ******* nightmare. Massive massive bust potential and reaches galore. Don’t even see Bianco and Pickett as having big upsides to make up for the risk.
I agree so it's got me nervous because Cris knows his s**t lol I'm not even sold in Worrell.

I included two trades...

No chance we dont outbid geelong if they try and move up.

It changes every day though. I was playing around with a different scenario this morning and Port ended up with Will Day, Cody Weightman and Sam DeKoning.

Although in that last one, I don't think too many were reaches. That's the top of what I consider to be Worrell's range, but it wouldn't be too surprising to see a team go early on him. While I don't think Bianco would be that much of a risk personally, he seems set to be taken in the back half of the first round and is arguably the second best kick in the draft. His upside would be about the same as Butters or Duursma.

And Pickett, well he's just supremely talented. He's a better pure footballer than Daniel Rioli, and he's gone on to be alright - after what I think was a reach by Richmond at the time.

No chance we dont outbid geelong if they try and move up.

Port could outbid by offering two of their first rounders to move up, but it's a high price and I think they'll want to get 3 picks in before the Mead bid. And Geelong do also have two first rounders they could offer.

Hey Chris,

Any idea why Matthew Nunn hasn't ended up nominating for the draft? I know he didn't get a combine invitation but it seems a little off considering he underwent mid-season draft testing? Has something changed?

This draft will have so many people getting pissed off. The rankings of players from pick 3 to 50 is so even.

I mostly agree. I've been saying BigFooty will go crazy with perceived reaches and sliders, that annual thread will get a work out this year.

I still think 3-10 is pretty even, with a bunch of about 5 players who could sneak higher. Then about 15-40 is super even. Someone like Will Day is increasingly looking like a top 15 pick, but a guy like Jeremy Sharp could go anywhere from 10 to 30 and guys like Cameron Taheny and Elijah Taylor could be anywhere from 15 to 50. Same with the talls in Worrell, DeKoning, Jones, Georgiades - one or two of them will sneak into the first round and BigFooty will be confused by it.

Hey Chris,

Any idea why Matthew Nunn hasn't ended up nominating for the draft? I know he didn't get a combine invitation but it seems a little off considering he underwent mid-season draft testing? Has something changed?

No idea, I wasn't aware of that. I've probably been one of Nunn's biggest fans, on here at least. I'd have drafted him the last couple of years, he keeps improving and is better than some guys who are getting picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back