Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would hope there isn’t going to be any overruling on draft night. I have confidence
that they will be working as a cohesive team and that all the different scenarios would have been worked through by now.

Yeah I’ll get real worried if we ask for extra time at pick 2 😂

If we look into that, then we should assume the Perk is getting picked at 2. His breakaway goal from 50 was the first highlight 🤤

So we bid on Campbell swans match we go Perkins.... I think Perkins can last to the 2nd pick and if he is gone take one of the McRae Cox Powell etc... I'd rather one of the talls or Hollands at first

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

twomey reckons we're a good chance of getting him at our second pick, I think we just have to take that chance.

'Good' chance or 'a' chance? Considering the hype around him in recent weeks I'm finding it difficult to believe he'll slip outside the top 10. I'm not holding out any hope.

Interesting to note Tom Powell rising up rankings and in mock drafts as the draft gets closer too. His landing spot is the one I'm most intrigued to see on draft night. Just a real footballer's footballer who gets his hands dirty and is tied with Phillips in my view as clearly the best stoppage player in this draft. Very rarely fumbles the footy under pressure, Cunners-like with his ability to effortlessly hit up players on the spread with left or right hand, uses his body well in the stoppage to out-position his opponent and gets to the right spots.

Last edited:
'Good' chance or 'a' chance? Considering the hype around him in recent weeks I'm finding it difficult to believe he'll slip outside the top 10. I'm not holding out any hope.

Interesting to note Tom Powell rising up rankings and in mock drafts as the draft gets closer too. His landing spot is the one I'm most intrigued to see on draft night. Just a real footballer's footballer who gets his hands dirty and is tied with Phillips in my view as clearly the best stoppage player in this draft.

What is the knock on him Souup if you don't mind? Isn't he one of the best accumulators in the draft?

What is the knock on him Souup if you don't mind? Isn't he one of the best accumulators in the draft?

Few things:

- He doesn't have any athletic traits that would excite a regular draft watcher, nor is he particularly impressive from a size perspective at ~180cm ~73kg. For example, he doesn't possess explosive speed or a leap that can lead to him being a threat up forward. Generally athletic traits are closely tied to potential/ceiling so the athletic ability and size of someone like Perkins would have more appeal than Powell.
- It's probably obvious due to the above but he's basically a pure midfielder and if he doesn't make it in this position then he doesn't have anything to fall back on. I can't see him ever adjusting to playing a position like back flank or in the forward line as he just doesn't have the traits to adjust to those positions.
- He has improved his kicking over the course of this year but he's not amazing by foot.
- He has not played any SANFL Senior football. As impressive as he was this season, it was in the Under 18's comp. I was hoping for him to play some senior football this season but unfortunately it never eventuated. In the end though, he can only play against what's put in front of him and he was a stand-out in the under 18's competition.

His journey in underage footy reminds me a little of Lachie Neale's. Absolute ball magnet at under 18's level but was overlooked due to his size, lack of athletic traits and limited positional flexibility. He had to be a midfielder or a bust - luckily he's a bloody good footballer with an excellent IQ - similar to Powell.

The runs are on the board but recruiters love potential.

EDIT: I should clarify, he's not a plodder by any means. He's solid athletically, just not a stand-out.

Last edited:
Live trading tho. They gave up a 2nd round pick to move up 5 spots to take Harrison Jones instead of Charlie Comben.

Dodoro on the clock on the night is not the same as Dodoro getting to strut and preen for the media in trade week.

That trade still puzzles me

Few things:

- He doesn't have any athletic traits that would excite a regular draft watcher, nor is he particularly impressive from a size perspective at ~180cm ~73kg. For example, he doesn't possess explosive speed or a leap that can lead to him being a threat up forward. Generally athletic traits are closely tied to potential/ceiling so the athletic ability and size of someone like Perkins would have more appeal than Powell.
- It's probably obvious due to the above but he's basically a pure midfielder and if he doesn't make it in this position then he doesn't have anything to fall back on. I can't see him ever adjusting to playing a position like back flank or in the forward line as he just doesn't have the traits to adjust to those positions.
- He has improved his kicking over the course of this year but he's not amazing by foot.
- He has not played any SANFL Senior football. As impressive as he was this season, it was in the Under 18's comp. I was hoping for him to play some senior football this season but unfortunately it never eventuated. In the end though, he can only play against what's put in front of him and he was a stand-out in the under 18's competition.

His journey in underage footy reminds me a little of Lachie Neale's. Absolute ball magnet at under 18's level but was overlooked due to his size, lack of athletic traits and limited positional flexibility. He had to be a midfielder or a bust - luckily he's a bloody good footballer with an excellent IQ - similar to Powell.

The runs are on the board but recruiters love potential.

EDIT: I should clarify, he's not a plodder by any means. He's solid athletically, just not a stand-out.
Matt Balmer has us taking him at 14 (11) in Fox's mock draft. Highest I've seen him rated.

Could we be considering the opposite - keep pick 2 but offer 11 plus next years pick (say 2nd rounder) to move up the order to get Perkins? Maybe one of Essendon’s picks with the agreement that they don’t touch him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im hearing you have interest in two essendon nga kids Cody Brand and Josh Eyre with your second round pick to replace some old players. There's also a handful of teams like the dees, roos, port, hawks, freo and us tigers that are into cody and josh who most have second round picks before essendons pick 44.

Could we be considering the opposite - keep pick 2 but offer 11 plus next years pick (say 2nd rounder) to move up the order to get Perkins? Maybe one of Essendon’s picks with the agreement that they don’t touch him?

The only way to make sure Dodoro doesn’t take your guy is to pick before him.

IMO no deals with * unless we get their first pick. At least.

I agree that this attitude is prevalent not just in draft watchers, but even those who only watch league footy. I mean, look at the regular criticism from some quarters of Trent Dumont, for example.

But I find it so strange. 99 times out of 100 I'll take the natural football over the natural athlete. To an extent, strength and endurance, less so speed, can be developed in the gym and on the track. They're complementary skills that will assist in giving you an athletic base to compete at the top level, but are secondary to the ability to play the game.

On the other hand, at least imo, you can't teach players to find the ball regularly. Opportunities to develop football nous are limited, even in an elite environment. A lot of it is instinctual, developed over hundreds, if not thousands, of hours on the track and playing games. Players will adjust to the speed of the game the more they play, but you can't teach composure when surrounded by opposition players.

A team of Ben Cunningtons beats a team of Shaun Atleys every single day of the week. And I know a balanced team needs athletic players, but when recruiting young players, the athletic profile should come second to whether they can actually play the game.

That trade still puzzles me

Yeah we’ve had 5 lopsided trades the last 2 years and won 3 of them. 2020 2nd + extras to hawfs for 30 was bad, but we got to use 30 in the * trade which was good. Bad Brown trade gave us the pick we used in the good Stephenson trade. And we made out like bandits in the Dees swap.

Completely fu** Sydney’s plans and bid on Campbell at 2 and Gulden at 11.
If Adelaide dont bid on JUH then we should start there and then Campbell and Gulden...Make it hard on the other clubs for a change... :mad:

I agree that this attitude is prevalent not just in draft watchers, but even those who only watch league footy. I mean, look at the regular criticism from some quarters of Trent Dumont, for example.

But I find it so strange. 99 times out of 100 I'll take the natural football over the natural athlete. To an extent, strength and endurance, less so speed, can be developed in the gym and on the track. They're complementary skills that will assist in giving you an athletic base to compete at the top level, but are secondary to the ability to play the game.

On the other hand, at least imo, you can't teach players to find the ball regularly. Opportunities to develop football nous are limited, even in an elite environment. A lot of it is instinctual, developed over hundreds, if not thousands, of hours on the track and playing games. Players will adjust to the speed of the game the more they play, but you can't teach composure when surrounded by opposition players.

A team of Ben Cunningtons beats a team of Shaun Atleys every single day of the week. And I know a balanced team needs athletic players, but when recruiting young players, the athletic profile should come second to whether they can actually play the game.

Yep, I pretty much agree on every point here. When I'm watching underage footy I'm watching for things that show footy IQ such as the ability to find the footy on the inside and outside by getting to the right spots, use of body in stoppages, marking contests and general loose grounded balls, little things like drawing an opponent before giving off a handball and making good decisions when under no pressure and extreme pressure.

Composure is the other thing that can be difficult for players to learn. The combination of this and footy IQ is what gives you players like Lachie Neale, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Mitchell, Jackson Macrae, Ben Cunnington... you get my point. None of them are particularly impressive athletes but they're smart footballers who make good decisions with the footy. I feel I see these traits in Tom Powell.

As you said, this sort of stuff is extremely difficult to teach and learn but good footballer's do most of this stuff instinctively. It's why I rate Thilthorpe so highly - he's a bloody smart footballer.

Yep, I pretty much agree on every point here. When I'm watching underage footy I'm watching for things that show footy IQ such as the ability to find the footy on the inside and outside by getting to the right spots, use of body in stoppages, marking contests and general loose grounded balls, little things like drawing an opponent before giving off a handball and making good decisions when under no pressure and extreme pressure.

Composure is the other thing that can be difficult for players to learn. The combination of this and footy IQ is what gives you players like Lachie Neale, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Mitchell, Jackson Macrae, Ben Cunnington... you get my point.

As you said, this sort of stuff is extremely difficult to teach and learn but good footballer's do most of this stuff instinctively. It's why I rate Thilthorpe so highly - he's a bloody smart footballer.
If Thilthorpe slips past GC someone is getting an absolute steal.

Very interesting that our strongest links from Twomney seem to be Hollands at 2, Perkins at 11 and Poulter at 30. That's basically 3x the same player. I wonder what mix we end up bringing in, or whether that is even a consideration for us with our first two picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back