Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very likely * will come knocking hoping that we rush into a decision. I think we should push for all 3 first rounders or at least 6,7 and a third. If they wanted to deal in good faith, should’ve come to us while picks swaps could be considered. They’re unbearable to deal with during the trade period, see no reason we’d want to make things easy for them.

We possibly might have wanted to wait until draft night to see who was available at pick 2. If our preferred player is gone, maybe we would be open to offers.

Also * may offer more on draft night, compared to what they would have over the trade period. They were never going offer the world without knowing their preferred option was going to be available at pick 2. On draft night once pick 1 is called out, they will obviously know for sure and may or may not come knocking. It’s honestly more beneficial for us to wait until draft night. Someone could potentially offer us overs if a certain player is available or we alternatively retain pick 2.

In terms of pick swaps, we should have a set asking price for each club potentially wanting pick 2. There should be no negotiating on the night, the opposing club can take it or leave it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m a bit worried about Clayton.

He’s a good salesman and a smooth operator in the media, but when he came on board I didn’t think it was in a role with complete oversight over both list management and the recruiting department.

His record really does speak for itself and it’s not a good one.

Brady might have the final say, but he’s not going to overrule Clayton in the draft bunker on particular players. Brady isn’t in the recruiting department anymore.

I really hope Finnegan has the final say as the national recruitment manager, his track record with mid-late picks has been sensational in the last 4 years.

It’s seemed to me Clayton was brought in as a mentor to both Luff and Finnegan who were new to the roles, but he seems to have morphed into a far more powerful position.

He’s a good salesman and a smooth operator in the media, but when he came on board I didn’t think it was in a role with complete oversight over both list management and the recruiting department.

Brady might have the final say, but he’s not going to overrule Clayton in the draft bunker on particular players. Brady isn’t in the recruiting department anymore.

I really hope Finnegan has the final say as the national recruitment manager, his track record with mid-late picks has been sensational in the last 4 years.

It’s seemed to me Clayton was brought in as a mentor to both Luff and Finnegan who were new to the roles, but he seems to have morphed into a far more powerful position.

Pykie, wouldn't they have a board made up and either cross them off as they are called or try to move picks around to increase the chances of us landing who we want? I would hop this list has been looked over with a fine-tooth comb before Wednesday night by a raft of North people. Surely...

Luff said in the Q&A that Finnigan has the final say.

As long as it’s Campbell that he calls out

If we look into that, then we should assume the Perk is getting picked at 2. His breakaway goal from 50 was the first highlight 🤤
Gulden is the big surprise for me. Will we bid on him at 11? A smart, neat small forward/mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mid or tall is the biggest question.

If the mids next year are as good as the draft watchers reckon, then surely we take a couple of talls?

The recruiting team have mentioned pace a couple of times, leading me to believe that they’ll take quick mids and not the talls id expect.

I think we load up on mids next 2 drafts early picks and try and get lucky with a couple of talls with late picks.

If the mids next year are as good as the draft watchers reckon, then surely we take a couple of talls?

The recruiting team have mentioned pace a couple of times, leading me to believe that they’ll take quick mids and not the talls id expect.

I think we load up on mids next 2 drafts early picks and try and get lucky with a couple of talls with late picks.

I wouldn’t worry about position types with the early picks. Just take the best talent you can get your hands on.

I’m of the view, that our midfield has been a weakness for so long, why not go mids in both? It’s the most important area on the ground IMO.

We currently hold 3 First Round picks in the next 2 drafts (2x2020, 1x2021). At least 2 of those should be on midfielders IMO.

Fwiw Lynch was drafted 1st round not pre-listed.

Agree though, in fact think posted something almost word for word the same a couple of weeks ago.
I think I looked this up once and have a slight recollection he was drafted at what would have been our pick if it were a non compromised year?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually thought we brought him on as a Reverse Market Indicator.

If that Perkins highlight at 0:25 doesn't help you see why there's talk we might take him at 2 then nothing will.

If we go a midfielder at 2 and select Hollands over Perkins I'll be a tad disappointed... before getting over it and backing in the recruiters.
twomey reckons we're a good chance of getting him at our second pick, I think we just have to take that chance.

You would hope there isn’t going to be any overruling on draft night. I have confidence
that they will be working as a cohesive team and that all the different scenarios would have been worked through by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back