Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for that giantroo.

Looking forward to seeing Sharp play in championships. Talk from SA is that he is even more talented than JHF. He’ll be playing senior footy in no time if he keeps up that sort of form in the colts.

Harvey Langford is a big watch for mine, little bit of Josh Goater/Will Day in the way he plays, tall, super athletic and really damaging with ball in hand. Type of player you could mould to play any position on the ground.

Work with one of the VC u16 head coaches.

He thinks Sharp is the best prospect he’s ever seen.

No player he’s seen has been as dominant against his own peers.

Better than Reid, better than JHF, better than Rowell and Walsh.

He said he could have played AFL football last year as a 15 year old, Tim Watson style.

Considering all this we just about need to push Zurhaar out and make sure it’s band 1.
We can’t be going to the draft with picks 1 and 29.
Don't know about pushing Cam out when we're crying out for mature bodies with skill, it all depends what Cam want's to do but would be disappointed since we gave him a chance by taking him with pick 11 in the Rookie draft. But on the flipside, if he chooses to go back home to W.A. then we will facilitate a trade with either Freo or West Coast depending on what they offer, options are aplenty.;)

I don’t want Zurhaar to leave, but if he does I can’t see who’s going to pay a million a year for 5+ years to get to band 1

Good player with attributes - yes; marquee player? Don’t see it
If teams want him bad enough and have a sniff that we will match the bid, they may overpay so they get the player they want without giving up draft capital.

They are all saying that teams are balueing their draft capital highly with the Tassie team coming in, so someone may be happy to give up the cap space to get what they want/need?

If the offer is s**t we match and see what he is made of? If he wants out then it’s off to the trade table where we will get royally screwed. But that will probably say a lot about him korw than the club.

We can’t be going to the draft with picks 1 and 29.
Yes, that is the magical question and I'm quite sure Will and Brady have ideas about that also remembering for anyone wanting to trade our future first out this year that the 2025 draft looks a ripper at the top end with Duursma, Sharp and Greeves the big three with a big watch on key forward Archie Ludowyke.

If NM finish with the spoon and CZ wants out and can get a contract that triggers Band 1, NM have picks 1 and 2 and 21 (2nd round pick). GC have picks 8, 10 and 20, whilst Freo currently have picks 9, 11 and 14. Josh Smillie looks good at pick 1. Would NM trade pick 2 to the GC for 8 and 10? That gives NM 1, 8 and 10 and 21.

If NM finish with the spoon and CZ wants out and can get a contract that triggers Band 1, NM have picks 1 and 2 and 21 (2nd round pick). GC have picks 8, 10 and 20, whilst Freo currently have picks 9, 11 and 14. Josh Smillie looks good at pick 1. Would NM trade pick 2 to the GC for 8 and 10? That gives NM 1, 8 and 10 and 21.

I wouldn’t do it as it will mean that we miss out on Luke Trainor. If we have picks 1 & 2, we’ll take Smillie & Trainor.
Having said that there’s no chance we’d get pick 2 for Zurhaar.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If there is enough interest from multiple clubs for CZ, this competition for his signature could drive his next contract into Band 1 territory, thus a situation exactly like McKay last year. If there is only one club prepared to enter the market for CZ, then you are probably right and CZ will net Band 2, which is likely to be a start of 2nd round pick. Josh Smillie, Luke Trainor and one of Jobe Shanahan/Jack Whitlock as the key forward would be ideal. Over to you NM to make this happen.

If the first half was to happen then that would be a big possibility but we wouldn't have pick 21, our second round pick would be pushed back to the high 20s with academies and father sons selections. 8 and 10 plus a future second rounder for pick 2 would be about right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big boys were kicking bags in Coates League on the weekend.

Matt Whitlock (Murray) - 5.3 from 14 disposals and 7 marks.

Tom Sims (Northern) - 7.4 from 15 disposals and 7 marks.

Gabriel Stumpf (Northern) - 3.2 from 13 disposals and 5 marks.

James Barrat (Bendigo) - 3.5 from 15 disposals and 7 marks.
Tom Sims = The Dim

I can hear Bruce McAvaney's voice right now saying "Tommy Sims... delicious!!"

Work with one of the VC u16 head coaches.

He thinks Sharp is the best prospect he’s ever seen.

No player he’s seen has been as dominant against his own peers.

Better than Reid, better than JHF, better than Rowell and Walsh.

He said he could have played AFL football last year as a 15 year old, Tim Watson style.
Haha of course he'll be drafted in 2025 just when we'll be moving up the ladder. The footy gods even hate us when we bottom out..

2021 - we finish last and got the Corn-Francis booby prize.
2023 - we win last game and miss out on H. Reid.
2024 - all but guaranteed to finish last after 7 rounds and no clear pick 1 in the pool yet.
2025 - we will finish 17th or above and miss out on a kid who sounds like the next GAJ.. WCE to tank and get two generational talents in 3 years.

Braedon Campbell from the Swans is always in/out of their side which is full of good mids/flankers/wingers.

He’s a beautiful kick, out of contract 2025. Reckon he could have his head turned by a 3-4 yr deal.

I wouldn’t do it as it will mean that we miss out on Luke Trainor. If we have picks 1 & 2, we’ll take Smillie & Trainor.
Having said that there’s no chance we’d get pick 2 for Zurhaar.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Stranger things have happened,
McKay is getting paid 1.5m this year.
🤷‍♂️

Stranger things have happened,
McKay is getting paid 1.5m this year.
🤷‍♂️
It’s the average that counts, and things have changed since then with player contracts. Also an inconsistent mid-sized forward isn’t going to attract the premium price of a strong marking defender of similar age. Finally you only get one Alan Bond - we are very unlikely to get blessed by that kind of overpayment more than once.

It’s the average that counts, and things have changed since then with player contracts. Also an inconsistent mid-sized forward isn’t going to attract the premium price of a strong marking defender of similar age. Finally you only get one Alan Bond - we are very unlikely to get blessed by that kind of overpayment more than once.
I don't think there's any animosity between Zurhaar and the club, if its close, I suspect something like this type, how's ya father deal will happen.

Top WA draft prospect Bo Allan stepped back from playing senior WAFL into the Colts team this week and was given a chance to show what he can do. His power was simply too much to handle, and his direct attacking approach regularly set up his teammates for scoring opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back