List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

anyone got access to this?

Sydney to appeal Luke Parker’s six-game ban from VFL tribunal​

Sydney have not accepted Luke Parker’s six-game ban and will appeal the decision as a premiership teammate backs the veteran to play AFL this year.

Glenn McFarlane, Ed Bourke, Matthew Forrest and Lachlan McKirdy

6 min read
May 22, 2024 - 5:45PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...5e407a3692ea50dcefdf716a3c0a6?amp#share-tools
ca0149b9db578db7a705855e656dc6a7

AFL: The Midweek Tackle team discuss Luke Parker's 6-game ban, and cast an eye over where the veteran Swan may play next season.
Sydney will seek to reduce Luke Parker’s six-match ban after deciding to appeal the veteran’s monster penalty for his high block on Frankston’s Josh Smith last weekend.
Parker was handed the big ban after a lengthy VFL tribunal hearing on Wednesday night with the Swans failing to convince the panel members that there were compelling and exceptional circumstances.
Sydney had argued that Parker - who pleaded guilty - deserved a ban of four games due to the fact that the bump was a body-on-body clash before the pair hit heads.
The Swans had until 5pm to lodge their appeal and chose to do so after spending most of the day looking at grounds to take the matter further.
Sydney are challenging Luke Parker’s ban. Picture: Getty Images

Sydney are challenging Luke Parker’s ban. Picture: Getty Images
Parker is banned until round 18, but the Swans will be hoping to shave off a few weeks in order to give the midfielder a chance to regain his spot in the senior side, albeit he had been overlooked for the past four games.
The tribunal medical report stated that Smith will miss up to two months after suffering concussion and multiple fractures to his eye socket and cheekbone, which will require surgery

SWANS RALLY AROUND PARKER AS DEBATE RAGES OVER FUTURE

- Ed Bourke
Acting Sydney captain Dane Rampe says the “story hasn’t ended” for suspended Swan Luke Parker and is adamant his close friend has a role to play in the senior side this season.
As it stands, Parker will not be available for his first AFL game of the season until round 18 after he was handed a six-match ban by the VFL for rough conduct on Tuesday.
The Swans failed to have the champion midfielder’s charge downgraded after his hit left Frankston player Josh Smith hospitalised with several facial fractures and a concussion.
Rampe said he and teammates were confident the 31-year-old would return to the side in 2024, despite being unable to break into the Swans’ midfield since he recovered from a broken arm four weeks ago.
Luke Parker was banned for six weeks for this bump.

Luke Parker was banned for six weeks for this bump.
“Immediate reaction is I’m feeling for a mate who’s missing some more footy, respectful obviously of the Frankston player who’s injured,” Rampe said on Wednesday.
“But on a personal level I’m just feeling for a mate who’s had a tough start to the year, and that’s where it sits.
“I’m still very confident Luke Parker has a role to play in our season. He knows that, I think we all know that. It’s obviously going to be a bit later than what we’d hoped, but the story hasn’t ended, if that’s what you’re asking.”
The Swans are adamant Parker still has a role to play in their finals push. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

The Swans are adamant Parker still has a role to play in their finals push. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
Rampe said Parker, who has been thrown up as a potential trade target for other clubs at the season’s end, had willingly embraced his extended stint in the VFL.
“I haven’t spoken to him directly, just a few text messages – he’s flat, but like I said he’s been unbelievably stoic through all of this and he knows his time will come,” Rampe said.
“We’re all confident of that, we’re all excited to have him back in the team when he does get back in, but again, it’s going to be a bit later than what we’d hoped.”
“The last few weeks he’s been a great voice of reason for the reserves players, having a new experience down there and enjoying, as weird as it is to say, enjoying the journey that AFL throws up … he’s an unbelievable professional.”

PARKER’S FUTURE UP IN AIR AFTER HUGE BAN

- Lachlan McKirdy
Luke Parker’s future at the Swans appears to be up in the air after going from club co-captain last year to spending four consecutive weeks in the VFL.
While a broken arm in pre-season disrupted the start of his year, the Swans’ incredible opening 10 rounds has meant there is no obvious path for him to return.
The quartet of Chad Warner, Isaac Heeney, Errol Gulden and James Rowbottom are dominating the midfield, while new recruits James Jordon and Taylor Adams have proven themselves to be brilliant role players in a team that is 9-1.
Luke Parker will miss six weeks. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Luke Parker will miss six weeks. Picture: Phil Hillyard
Parker potentially had a route back into the side this Thursday as a result of Robbie Fox’s AC joint injury, but a late bump and subsequent six-week suspension has meant he will be watching on from the sidelines once more.
Dolphin Josh Smith was left with significant facial fractures that required surgery after Parker’s bump during the VFL game between Sydney and Frankston.
The incident was graded as careless, severe impact and high contact.
Due to byes both the AFL and VFL side will have in the coming weeks, Parker won’t be available until round 18.
The Swans are adamant that their two-time best and fairest winner remains an important part of their plans with John Longmire regularly referencing the unpredictability of the AFL and that injuries could strike at any moment.

However, at 31 years old, Parker still has plenty of footy ahead of him. He has shown in the VFL he can still be an accumulator, averaging 30 disposals a match, and he has regularly been one of the Swans’ most competitive players since joining the club in 2010.
Could Sydney look to cash in on a player at the end of the season who appears to be superfluous to needs, or will the club legend find his way back into the side for their premiership charge?

SCENARIO 1: Parker remains a Blood​

Contracted through to the end of 2025, Parker remaining at Sydney is currently the most likely option. He played 23 games in 2023 and still managed to average 23.6 disposals a game.
Parker also offers plenty of versatility to Longmire and is the perfect option for if things go awry. During last year’s elimination final against Carlton, he proved he can play as a deep-lying forward and regularly hit the scoreboard, while his one-wood is playing on-ball and racking up the contested possessions. You would never count him out of forcing Longmire’s hand.
However, it’s clear he’s no longer locked into their first-team plans. Parker is the third-oldest player on the Swans’ list behind Dane Rampe and Sam Reid and there were already questions around his role ahead of the season.
Longmire has praised Parker’s ability to take the VFL stint in his stride. He has taken on a mentoring role with many of their youngest players and coaches have made a point to recognise how well he has adjusted.
But if he stays in Sydney, he would likely have to be content with a part-time role if things remain injury-free. A committed club man, this wouldn’t phase Parker, but another season of regularly playing VFL certainly wouldn’t be his priority.
He’ll want to be back in the best 23 by the end of this year to truly believe he has a role to play in 2025 and beyond.
Could Luke Parker leave Sydney? Picture: Michael Klein

Could Luke Parker leave Sydney? Picture: Michael Klein

SCENARIO 2: Parker looks for a fresh start​

Has Luke Parker already played his last AFL match for the Sydney Swans?
It seems an outrageous proposition for a player who has contributed so much to the club, but if the Swans continue their current form through to September there’s no way they will change their midfield set-up.
It’s a prospect that has already had some commentators pose the question of whether clubs should look to target the experienced star.
North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Richmond and St Kilda are all examples of teams desperately crying out for an experienced, on-baller. A Victorian boy from Langwarrin, there would surely be some appeal to heading home, especially if it is on a multi-year contract.
Parker has carried leadership roles for most of his career, and those sorts of players aren’t available too regularly for teams at the other end of the ladder. If he remains out of the team, it’s unlikely Sydney would offer Parker more than a one-year contract going forward.
He also is closing in on AFL life membership with just 17 games to go until his 300th milestone. After his suspension on Tuesday, he will be unable to reach that this season, so finding a path to ensure he reaches the figure could come into consideration.
From the Swans’ perspective, there are some positives that could come from a trade for Parker. Firstly, they could add in a potential high-value draft pick or player while also creating space in their salary cap. His current deal was reported at the time of signing to be approximately $700,000 a season.
It also allows Sydney to more immediately look to their future. While their young midfield is impressing this season, there are players coming through who may look elsewhere if they don’t start getting more regular opportunities.
Angus Sheldrick was a first-round draft pick and has been superb in his brief taste of playing in the seniors. He is yet to play in the AFL this season, and another year of being behind Parker in the pecking order could convince him to investigate a move back to Western Australia.
They also have other youngsters like Academy-product Caiden Cleary coming through as their conveyor belt of midfield stars continues to turn.
The Swans don’t want to lose Parker. But both player and club would see the benefit in a move if he is still in the reserves side by season end.

I really hope this is not the case. Reliable source? Like would this person know first hand or chinese whispers?

I saw it pop up on one of those Facebook pages. Complete with photoshopped North jumper. 🤮

Too far away from trade period to be getting caught up in fabricated rumours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would take both for the right draft capital shiel is a insane trainer I would look at Jed bews from cats same insane trainer only 30

So we go from paying someone 600k to play in the VFL because he's literally frightened to be on a football field to paying someone 600k because he's good at training and can't even get on the park beyond that? Pay Boomer 100k per year to go down and train with the boys.

I’m convinced some of our recruiting is due to jokes getting out of hand.

Like having Ben Warren and Warren Benjamin on the list at the same time, or continually recruiting Walkers in the hope that one would work out. (Narrator: they did not work out.)

And now, after adding a Stephens to a Stephenson, we continue down the road of adding blokes with slightly shorter names than existing players, chasing Shiel to join Shiels. Are we hoping the AFL doesn’t notice and we get a couple of list spots for (Hamish) free?

I really hope this is not the case. Reliable source? Like would this person know first hand or chinese whispers?
yeh, same bloke that told me boomer was going to step away. I think the club is looking at everyone. I also heard Marchbank too. Whether they have enquired or are set on it is the grey area

Remove this Banner Ad

Back