AFL 2020 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not a lot
Recall a 3 vote game in 2018 I think. He stands out when he wears long sleeves. Similar position to Guthrie though. Never massive pollers but had breakout years in regards to Brownlow medal / individual performance
Menegola polled 7 in 2018; 6 in 2017. Also had very stiff competition in those years from the likes of Dangerfield Ablett and Selwood - the latter two will not feature this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale has the brownlow locked in now I reckon. You can tell from this match that GC are looking forward to the season ending and did not try at all in the match even though they had a 10 day break vs 5.

Lions have Swans and Carlton next so reckon they wont give a crap either so Neale will just rack it up freely for votes.

Last edited:
Neale 3, Zorko 2, Hipwood 1

Zorko had more influence with his earlier 1st half goals .

Zorko had 2 goals to McCluggage 1 goal. Zorko had 3 less disposals than McCluggage. But in terms of game impact, just felt as a spectator Zorko had more influence to the match. Hipwood, Rayner and McCluggage batting for that 1 vote in my opinion.

ROUND 14

HAW v ESS
3 Z Merrett (Ess)
2 J Daniher (Ess)
1 J Worpel (Haw)

RICH v WCE
3 D Martin (Rich)
2 T Cotchin (Rich)
1 T Kelly (WCE)

WB v GEEL
3 P Dangerfield (Geel)
2 L Hunter (WB)
1 R Stanley (Geel)

PA v SYD
3 R Gray (PA)
2 C Dixon (PA)
1 J Lloyd (Syd)

FREO v GWS
3 J Cameron (GWS)
2 T Taranto (GWS)
1 J Riccardi (GWS)

MELB v ST K
3 C Petracca (Melb)
2 S May (Melb)
1 J Steele (St K)

CARL v COLL
3 B Grundy (Coll)
2 J Crisp (Coll)
1 J Noble (Coll)

GC v NM
3 B Ainsworth (GC)
2 H Greenwood (GC)
1 J Witts (GC)

LEADERBOARD

21 L Neale (Bris)
17 C Petracca (Melb)
16 J Steele (St K)
15 T Boak (PA) Z Merrett* (Ess)
14 D Martin (Rich) P Cripps (Carl) C Guthrie (Geel) S Menegola (Geel)

ROUND 14

HAW v ESS
3 Z Merrett (Ess)
2 J Daniher (Ess)
1 J Worpel (Haw)

RICH v WCE
3 D Martin (Rich)
2 T Cotchin (Rich)
1 T Kelly (WCE)

WB v GEEL
3 P Dangerfield (Geel)
2 L Hunter (WB)
1 R Stanley (Geel)

PA v SYD
3 R Gray (PA)
2 C Dixon (PA)
1 J Lloyd (Syd)

FREO v GWS
3 J Cameron (GWS)
2 T Taranto (GWS)
1 J Riccardi (GWS)

MELB v ST K
3 C Petracca (Melb)
2 S May (Melb)
1 J Steele (St K)

CARL v COLL
3 B Grundy (Coll)
2 J Crisp (Coll)
1 J Noble (Coll)

GC v NM
3 B Ainsworth (GC)
2 H Greenwood (GC)
1 J Witts (GC)

LEADERBOARD

21 L Neale (Bris)
17 C Petracca (Melb)
16 J Steele (St K)
15 T Boak (PA) Z Merrett* (Ess)
14 D Martin (Rich) P Cripps (Carl) C Guthrie (Geel) S Menegola (Geel)
Grundy 3 v blues?

This is all about opinions of course but I clearly had Elliott, Adams and Moore ahead of Grundy in that game.
Mcgrath a massive chance for 3v r14 Haw as well.
Herald Sun had Adams, Elliott, Walsh.
3AW had Adams, Daicos, Crisp.

FWIW I had Adams, Elliott, Crisp for that game. Didn't have Grundy there, but this is the type of game I may re-watch. Adams polling here/not polling could make a big difference at the end.

Herald Sun had Adams, Elliott, Walsh.
3AW had Adams, Daicos, Crisp.

FWIW I had Adams, Elliott, Crisp for that game. Didn't have Grundy there, but this is the type of game I may re-watch. Adams polling here/not polling could make a big difference at the end.
My system works on certain key indicators which have proven votegetting points in the past BUT of course is never infallible so I guess we will find out on the night.

My system works on certain key indicators which have proven votegetting points in the past BUT of course is never infallible so I guess we will find out on the night.
Yeah I don't pretend to have a system other than "what I kinda reckon", and then get reinforcement from coaches/media to see if any of them match up. If they don't - honestly I'll ditch some of my selections if no-one else mentions them and go with the crowd because I don't really have that much confidence in my own opinions.

Yeah I don't pretend to have a system other than "what I kinda reckon", and then get reinforcement from coaches/media to see if any of them match up. If they don't - honestly I'll ditch some of my selections if no-one else mentions them and go with the crowd because I don't really have that much confidence in my own opinions.
The umps have to hand in their votes within an hour after the game and aren't sitting their crunching the numbers. I find it best to do votes strait after watching the game where it's fresh and u have more of a feel for impact than just stats.

The umps have to hand in their votes within an hour after the game and aren't sitting their crunching the numbers. I find it best to do votes strait after watching the game where it's fresh and u have more of a feel for impact than just stats.
Agree
This is what most people forget and dig into the stats and get it so wrong.
Most times I watch a game live I don’t look at stats and get the 3 votes(BOG) right. You get a feel for who played well. Especially at local footy level this is whats relied on- no stats at al

Speaking of crunching numbers.... today I was procrastinating at work and calculated the number of tied-winners for each team up to 18 rounds since 1990. Figured I might as well share.

year, num_ties_after_18_rounds
1990 0
1991 1
1992 5
1993 5
1994 3
1995 1
1996 1
1997 0
1998 2
1999 2
2000 1
2001 1
2002 3
2003 2
2004 1
2005 3
2006 3
2007 3
2008 1
2009 4
2010 3
2011 1
2012 3
2013 1
2014 3
2015 3
2016 3
2017 3
2018 1
2019 1

What this means: after 18 rounds, this many teams had a dead-heat winner in the brownlow count for that year. Since there are only 18 rounds this year, I thought this was more relevant than the total brownlow counts for each year. I couldn't tell you how many byes (if any) teams had each year, so the votes available might be slightly off, but since there are fewer rounds you would expect more dead-heats due to less overall votes. Since 2010 the average is 2.2. So you can expect up to 3 dead-heats, 4 or 5 is an outlier year. Almost certain to get at least 1 dead heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back