Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for you TD. Assuming Hollands slides and McDonald falls to pick 4 and Dodo calls to offer picks 6 & 8 to get him with pick 4 would you be keen to take Perkins with pick 6 & then Hollands with pick 8?

This obviously assumes it goes like this after the * take McDonald at 4:

4) ESS - McDonald
5) GC - Phillips
6) HAW - Perkins
7) ESS - Bruhn
8) HAW - Hollands

If the scum pull a swiftly and take Hollands with 7 then we could then take Bruhn with 8 which would be a lot of others preference anyways.
I’d prefer McDonald over Perkins and Bruhn but if it’s a Holland’s/Perkins duo then I’d much rather that

Question for you TD. Assuming Hollands slides and McDonald falls to pick 4 and Dodo calls to offer picks 6 & 8 to get him with pick 4 would you be keen to take Perkins with pick 6 & then Hollands with pick 8?

4) ESS - McDonald
5) GC - Phillips
6) HAW - Perkins
7) ESS - Bruhn
8) HAW - Hollands

If the scum pull a swiftly and take Hollands with 7 then we could then take Bruhn with 8 which would be a lot of others preference anyways.
No. Dodo offered pick 8 for Norths pick 2.
He's not throwing in both picks. So we don't need to worry about it.

4) ESS - McDonald
5) GC - Phillips
6) HAW - Perkins
7) ESS - Bruhn
8) HAW - Hollands

Would be amazingly good if that happened

4) ESS - McDonald
5) GC - Phillips
6) HAW - Perkins
7) ESS - Bruhn
8) HAW - Hollands

I'd do that deal every day of the week.

Without the vics playing it throws chaos into the next 2 drafts.

Jeka was rated really highly as a bottom age then had a poor year and slid to rookie draft. What if one of these top 10 were destined to do the same? Or the opposite like Clayton Oliver and come from nowhere to be a high pick. Issac smith the same.

No vfl for the mature age late picks.

Next year we could see some really impressive kids in the vfl that developed their body this year but couldn't put thier game on show.

In 5 years time there will be at least 1 absolute dud from the fab 5 i think. And a pick in the 60's will be in ranked as top 5 for the draft year.

For those reasons, i'd be happy to see us draft Phillips. You know what you are getting with Phillips and that matters in the fog of 2020.

It is risky to spend a top 5 pick on "upside", especially when we haven't seen the kids play for 12 months.

And you could say that Selwood and S Mitchell didn't really have "upside" when they got drafted. They were just very very good at what they did.

Phillips is very good at what he does - and we know he will slot right in at AFL level.

For those reasons, i'd be happy to see us draft Phillips. You know what you are getting with Phillips and that matters in the fog of 2020.

It is risky to spend a top 5 pick on "upside", especially when we haven't seen the kids play for 12 months.

And you could say that Selwood and S Mitchell didn't really have "upside" when they got drafted. They were just very very good at what they did.

Phillips is very good at what he does - and we know he will slot right in at AFL level.
Agree. I get the feeling our midfield still needs another ball winner. I won't be surprised if we take him.

Agree. I get the feeling our midfield still needs another ball winner. I won't be surprised if we take him.

I feel like we need midfield class before another accumulator. Hopefully if we take a mid with our first pick he can do both.

I'm doing a phantom draft over on the draft boards and tried to turn 4 and 24 into 3 of the GWS teen picks. He wouldn't have a bar of it.

Ended up taking Tanner Bruhn because he offers something we don't currently have in our midfield. Had to weigh up 'best available vs needs based'. There are so many holes in our list right now needing to be filled with elite talent that I went with needs based.

Didn't really consider Thilthorpe because i'm willing to give Patton/Lewis/TOB another chance to fulfil their potential together.

In real life though I don't really mind who we end up with. After the inspired Will Day selection last season i'm happy to trust our recruiting department.

Also, remember how Will Day wasn't even invited to the draft because initially nobody rated him a first round chance! How ridiculous in retrospect.

Also, remember how Will Day wasn't even invited to the draft because initially nobody rated him a first round chance! How ridiculous in retrospect.
Very when Port and Richmond (us as well) both had him in the top ten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After narrowing my choice to about 8 I am finally able to declare my horse.

Reading more about this kid and him saying “my interview with Clarko blew me away” and “My dream result would be to go to Hawthorn” I have made up my mind.

Phillips.

The kid screams professional, hard working, dedicated and seems as switched on as any kid that age could possibly be.

Last edited:
I feel like we need midfield class before another accumulator. Hopefully if we take a mid with our first pick he can do both.
Agree. But when I look back at our big losses this year. Dees, Pies, GWS, Dogs games, even the 3rd quarter v Dons, we were slaughtered in the midfield. I remember in the Dees game, Oliver, Petracca, Viney, even Brayshaw, just walking it out.

After narrowing my choice to about 8 I am finally able to declare my horse.

Reading more about this kid and him saying “my interview with Clarko blew me away” and “My dream result would be to go to Hawthorn” I have made up my mind.

Phillips.

The kid screams professional, hard working, dedicated and seems as switched on as any kid that age could possibly be.

I am not picking a horse but I must say it is difficult to go past a kid who obviously would love to play for the Hawks.

Agree. But when I look back at our big losses this year. Dees, Pies, GWS, Dogs games, even the 3rd quarter v Dons, we were slaughtered in the midfield. I remember in the Dees game, Oliver, Petracca, Viney, even Brayshaw, just walking it out.

Absolutely. This is a reason I am leaning towards Phillips although Perkins and Bruhn have some appeal also.

Even if we think our list has lots of holes, adding pure class players can fill more than one by the x effect they have on ‘ordinary’ players. thinking a Hodge or a Rioli.
My thoughts are we have a solid list lacking in class. there is some, but not enough.

We lack size and depth, more than quality. A bit of speed wouldn’t hurt either. There was clearly more to our performances in the hub than lack of talent.

Could cousins be that extra ball winner? Maybe finn too?

We desperately need class through the midfield.

But if a 200cm ruck forward is still available I'd find it hard not to select him.

So my preference however unlikely is Thilthorpe then best available mid with a clean injury record.

We have so many injury prone players on our list now I'm discouraged to take a young player coming off an ACL to add to our medical clinic.

I hope we don't go for the DGB because I feel like we are pretty well stocked for defenders and you can generally find them with late pick, rookies or trades and I feel like bad teams tend to over index in their backline. Just look at Melbourne, so much of their salary cap is being chewed up by Lever and May and they are going no where fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back