Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure we lack that element right now. Howe had a stretch of tagging games where he looked promising and used his size well but doesn't look like he'll cut it. The height and skills of our mids also restricts versatility, which we used to have in spades. None of our 3 main centre square mids have been consistent as a marking threat or as distributors behind the ball. Phillips does seem in that same mould where there aren't good signs that he could have stints off half back or up forward. I'm really hoping Worps and Jaeger show more there in the next few years. Finn at least had positive wraps for his forward versatility as a junior. I really want him to break through because he has that size.

I know it's a cardinal sin to get caught up with fit and list needs at the top end of the draft, but it's the only thing making me hedge away from Phillips at our pick. Every indication he'll make the most of his career.
Sam Mitchell would have been the last person you would think could play well at half back, You don't know until you try it out.

All the blokes drafted COULD be superstars.

There is more to drafting than just pure footy talent or upside, the interview process sorts a lot of that out.

I remember a recruing guy say that "The warning bells were there when we interviewed him we just did not hear them" when it came to Dowler after we delisted him.

So if it was a choice between Phillips and Perkins the club may well think Perkins has more upside, but they may also think Phillips could get more out of himself.

We have the best draft pick at our disposal for donkeys years and I am sure it will be no picnic choosing our guy.

In every top 5 I have seen Phillips is there or therabouts combine that with the way the kid comes across, has me sold.

But what would we all know?

Maybe the club has someone none of us have factored in yet, on the radar.
Yeah for sure , they would be deciding on one prospect then the next day they change their mind, it’s a difficult process but I’m confident we’ll make the right decision. We can’t go wrong with any of the top 10 like you said they could all be stars.

I think the interview process has become over rated. Of course they are all on their best behaviour and give the perfect answers so it would be a hard process to do. For example Hartung and his dad would have seemed fine. You would hope the clubs speak to the players junior coaches and the coaches give honest answers.
I am sure a lot goes into every decision.

Anyone who has had anything to do with Phillips from his coaches and teamates and all the experts, cannot fault the kids attitude.

You would certainly pick up on that in an interview.

The argument against Phillips that we have similar types in Mitchell, O'Meara and Worpel is misguided too. Firstly, Phillips has pace whereas they do not, but more importantly, pick 4 is not about the next 2 years, it is about the next 10. Mitchell and O'Meara are 28/27 next year. Both are banged up. They might not have more than 3 more years of good footy in them. In 5 years time they will not be leading our midfield if they are even still a part of it. By then Phillips will be 23 and entering his prime. If our number priority is not to waste pick 4, Phillips is the safest guy in the draft. And he smacks of good character (and good judgment given his respect for Hawthorn!)
All very good points.

The argument against Phillips that we have similar types in Mitchell, O'Meara and Worpel is misguided too. Firstly, Phillips has pace whereas they do not, but more importantly, pick 4 is not about the next 2 years, it is about the next 10. Mitchell and O'Meara are 28/27 next year. Both are banged up. They might not have more than 3 more years of good footy in them. In 5 years time they will not be leading our midfield if they are even still a part of it. By then Phillips will be 23 and entering his prime. If our number priority is not to waste pick 4, Phillips is the safest guy in the draft. And he smacks of good character (and good judgment given his respect for Hawthorn!)
Yeah he’ll get the most out of himself, he’ll come in and be a good ball winner. Seems to be a good leader as well. The top 10 are all pretty good options, draft cannot come sooner.

Sam Mitchell would have been the last person you would think could play well at half back, You don't know until you try it out.

He at least had elite kicking off both sides which made up for his pace.

With time maybe Worpel could play that Impey role. His kicking was rated his biggest weakness when drafted (and he does hack it out of clearances) but I remember being surprised by his kicking inside 50 in 2019. He was often pretty tidy and spotted up some nice leads. He's also got penetration so it wouldn't shock me for him to be developed as a half back at some point. The club has developed him up forward as a second position so far like Jags, so we'll see.

What about some thoughts on our later picks.

I wouldn’t mind this bloke replacing Harry Morrison off a HBF with a late pick

Would Phillips slip past Gold Coast?
Only unless they cooked up something with the Handbaggers.

There is something dodgey about those two clubs.

Giving the Handbaggers pick 27 for next to nothing just recently is the latest sus deal between them.

But in short the GCS would be doing cartwheels if Phillips fell in their lap.

Last edited:
After narrowing my choice to about 8 I am finally able to declare my horse.

Reading more about this kid and him saying “my interview with Clarko blew me away” and “My dream result would be to go to Hawthorn” I have made up my mind.

Phillips.

The kid screams professional, hard working, dedicated and seems as switched on as any kid that age could possibly be.
Completely agree on this. Ive flipped and flopped a bit but if this kids available then we take him. He'll be a star.

Would we have told him we'll pick him if there?

Sounds like we have given him a strong indication that we would love to have him on our list... he just wouldn’t keep mentioning us if that wasn’t the case.

You don’t really hear players singling clubs out like that without already having a link to the club through academy or father son.
I like it!!

After narrowing my choice to about 8 I am finally able to declare my horse.

Reading more about this kid and him saying “my interview with Clarko blew me away” and “My dream result would be to go to Hawthorn” I have made up my mind.

Phillips.

The kid screams professional, hard working, dedicated and seems as switched on as any kid that age could possibly be.
Phillips for me too, we need more winners on the team who are mentally strong. We've had too many passenger type players in the last few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope we end up selecting a small forward with pick 24. Some people might say that’s way too high, but the reality is Ginnivan and Winder will gone by the time pick 43 is called out.
Winder is a beast, has the perfect attributes to be a good small fwd, can also find the footy and play midfield. Hope we pick him at 24.

Bruhn blowing out to 20. Feels like a month ago he was the guy talked about as potentially cracking the top 5 instead of Perkins.
I always look to see where they mention that spud Connor Downie. Surely no one goes for an unsighted, over rated hack before 30.
Wasnt mentioned in that article.

Bruhn blowing out to 20. Feels like a month ago he was the guy talked about as potentially cracking the top 5 instead of Perkins.
Swans recruiter talked him up as in consideration for 3.
Seems like this year there might be huge variations in ratings of Vic kids we haven’t seen for a whole year.
Talk of NM looking at Perkins for 2, might get him for 11.
Reef being looked at by Bombers for 6-8, might slide past 16.

I guess that’s what happens when you have to put even more weight on your projections of improvement.

It’s also why I’m keen on DGB, has shown it this year.

I agree with that, and as someone who has being saying that Phillips doesn't offer versatility (which is true at this point) or a real point of difference bar decent pace - if we take him I'll be excited, especially given he sounds like the most likely player to come in and have an impact straight away.

But having said that we only have one top pick and we really need to nab a dynamic player that offers a big point of difference IMO. That would be ideal.

I agree with that, and as someone who has being saying that Phillips doesn't offer versatility (which is true at this point) or a real point of difference bar decent pace - if we take him I'll be excited, especially given he sounds like the most likely player to come in and have an impact straight away.

But having said that we only have one top pick and we really need to nab a dynamic player that offers a big point of difference IMO. That would be ideal.

Perkins + Hollands seem to fit that bill — both substantially different to our current crop other than possibly Finn, who has a massively different playstyle regardless of physical attributes

however both are also more likely to be busts whereas it feels like you can lock Phillips in for a floor of a Marc Murphy 200-games type career. Gonna be a tough call.

I mostly just want us to bid on Campbell and hope the Swans' recruiters are taking a s**t during their allotted matching time. Screw over the swans and get a speedy mid who uses the ball well on both sides? The dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back