List Mgmt. 2020 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, indeed it could be a multitude of reasons.

I'm not sure it particularly means he didn't desire us but that either the trade couldn't be done or indeed he now just prefers to stay with the Swans (remember his Grandfather played for them).

Doesn't also mean the trade is dead and buried. Papley just may want out of the spotlight during silly season. If for example, the Daniher trade gets done Austin might have another crack at Papley.

That's a lazy argument; one which I preempted and addressed within my initial post. Whether I wanted him or not isn't relevant to the question of whether he wanted us

You're trying to separate the "desire" and "cost" factors to facilitate your own narrative about our recruiting team.

If we "failed" to convince Papley, it's got a hell of a lot less to do with our recruiters and a hell of a lot more to do with our coaches and players who went to water when the results started mattering.

And you've suggested it would have been better to get his nomination before worrying about price. Like last year, eh? How did that pan out, again? Got the nomination. Then found a suitable price. But a third party threw a spanner in the works.

Smarter by far to find a suitable price before publicly announcing a nomination. Takes a lot of the external pressure off all parties. Get the deal done behind closed doors and present it as a done deal. Perhaps the discussions about cost were what led Papley to the decision he's made. Why would he want to publicly request a trade again if there was no guarantee it would happen? So he could go through the whole process of fronting up to his teammates again at the start of next preseason?

Hahahahahaha!

You're kidding, right?

All along it's been "we shouldn't bother with Papley, let him stay in Sydney or piss off to Essendon".

And now that he's confirmed as staying in Sydney it's "looks like our recruiting team weren't good enough to get him".

Spare me.
Are you suggesting that its inappropriate of me to ask why he chose not to join CFC because I personally preferred he didn't?

Should be similar to the Doggies midfield, except none of our mids can kick goals (beside walsh)

tenor.gif

The Dogs have had years to find their best midfield mix. We haven't.
I don't think the club care for another few years of experimentation.

We have to get it as close to right before the start of next season and not just play players we deem to be good in positions they're unfamiliar with.
You can get away with the odd one here or there, but we can't expect many to make good. That's not sound.

Cool if you want Fisher to put on 10kg you reckon he's going to keep that leg speed which is his main attribute?

It's actually incredibly hard to put on that much weight without any fat, if it were easy, he'd be heavier than 75kg by now.
My point was that it's ok to put smaller more agile players through the midfield rotation. Your making it personal for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My point was that it's ok to put smaller more agile players through the midfield rotation. Your making it personal for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sure he can run through there. But if he's going to make it it's going to have to be a small/high forward who can do a midfield stint, not a full-time midfielder like everyone here wants.

He's found his spot and he is working it out ok imo.

I agree with this.

Now we need to pivot to other less expensive options. There are players available for the right price if we pull the right levers. We should look at a Lonie, Sexton, Bruest type if the price is right. We should also look to the state leagues for the best mature small forward. Eagles plucked Ryan from the WAFL 3 years ago and that was a master stroke. Whoever we pick doesn’t have to be that good but they need to be able to put on significant pressure. Let Eddie develop them next year. He’s contracted in 2021 for an off field role. We should leverage his knowledge in developing the next small forward.
Yeh it’s a tough one, do we lower our expectations or hope we find one internally. For every Butler type there is a Smedts, Lang, Sumner etc so it’s a tough gig to get the right one. I would love a Ryan type but I don’t think there are any 20 year olds out there kicking 70 goals in the state league atm. I think the small forward role/list spot is going to be one of the most intriguing things this offseason.
Bruest is the safest but also probably going to cost more then we would want to pay. Sexton I like, good handy player. Far from perfect but he may be gettable if GC are looking long term with there list and salary cap.
Lonie imo isn’t the goal kicker we need.

You're trying to separate the "desire" and "cost" factors to facilitate your own narrative about our recruiting team.

Of course, I am. Because I believe that's what typically happens in effective negotiations; at least in the early stages while options are being designed to accommodate interests. But you're dismissing that as mere opportunistic narration on my part, In fact, you're doing what you're accusing me of doing, arent you BB?

Last year he wanted to come, this year he supposedly doesn't. There may be a multitude of reasons. I asked why. It doesn't need to be resolved, But the question merits being asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Continued here :-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back