Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Then let the player take the club/afl to court

Bet it doesnt happen either
Didn't it happen in the NRL?

The entire draft system walks a tightrope on actually being legal. I'm sure each decision and concession in it has been made in consultation with lawyers to keep it just on this side of being legal.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I do wonder of restraint of trade could ever be tested with the Draft.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It was tested in 1991 by NRL players, who won their court case.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
But when a player nominates a club they limit the Draft pick that can be traded.

Player X wants to go to Richmond. They have pick 18. But Saint Kilda also want him and they have pick 10 and happy to give that up for that pick. His old club happy with pick 10.

He does not want to go to St Kilda.

In the absence of player destination choice, the market value is pick 10. Once the player chooses a singular club he artificially alters his market vale.

And thus tampered with the Draft order.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It's the player's legal rights that are potentially being restrained and need to be protected.

Things such as draft picks for sporting clubs aren't legally relevant because they're just a self created process within a game.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Here’s a drunk question. Is these draft karma. Tippett went nowhere. Dangerfield might be the greatest player ever to never play a GF. Leaver has knees like my nanna.

Matthew Richardson never played a grand final. Dangerfield still has a bit to go in his career. Don't count ya chickens jus yet.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sydney didn't try to use the deal against us did they?

They were offering their 1st round pick plus Jesse White

Reckon it’s line ball. I’d say that they probably didn’t work as hard to find more value as they normally would have. It was pretty easy for them having just won the flag. Their 22 flag heroes plus any unlucky injured were automatically off the table, bloods culture and all. If memory serves, there was one or two emerging kids, “you don’t want to turn your back on our club and go to boring Adelaide, do you? Excellent”. What’s left, ‘serviceable’ Jessie White, unlikely to go anywhere kids and their shitful draft picks. If their second and third were thrown in, would that have gotten through?

In the end, they won big time because they got him for nothing. Which is appalling given it’s highly likely they knew and us accepting such a poor offer was supposedly what tweaked the AFL’s interest. Surely it’s worthwhile having a quick look into why Sydney thought such an offer would be accepted.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was tested in 1991 by NRL players, who won their court case.

Not really. The restraint of trade component was because they were part time footballers that required full time jobs outside of the game. Not relevant at all now. In fact, in all likelihood the judgement there could be used in the AFL’s argument against any current action. Not that I’ve read it and nor am I a lawyer, but if that article is a fair summation, then the key element for their win appears to not be arguable now.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Reckon it’s line ball. I’d say that they probably didn’t work as hard to find more value as they normally would have. It was pretty easy for them having just won the flag. Their 22 flag heroes plus any unlucky injured were automatically off the table, bloods culture and all. If memory serves, there was one or two emerging kids, “you don’t want to turn your back on our club and go to boring Adelaide, do you? Excellent”. What’s left, ‘serviceable’ Jessie White, unlikely to go anywhere kids and their shitful draft picks. If their second and third were thrown in, would that have gotten through?

In the end, they won big time because they got him for nothing. Which is appalling given it’s highly likely they knew and us accepting such a poor offer was supposedly what tweaked the AFL’s interest. Surely it’s worthwhile having a quick look into why Sydney thought such an offer would be accepted.
They were also offering a price to Kurt that meant the preseason draft was a fall back

As always with our trades we held no cards

From memory the cost of living advantage they had disappeared soon after this

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
They were also offering a price to Kurt that meant the preseason draft was a fall back

As always with our trades we held no cards

From memory the cost of living advantage they had disappeared soon after this

cola was dead when they snatched Buddy from GWS‘ grasp. That they got Tippett the year before definitely a factor. But it was like an atomic bomb detonating a firecracker.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
"">

In any organisation you trim the fat before asking for a loan. Or am I reading it wrong?

Couldn’t access the article, but clubs bar the big 4 financial performers will be needing financial support. We need it, we’re just trying to avoid the AFL facility. Footy dept costs have been cut this year by about $8m. But you’d think that those savings will be eaten up pretty quickly by lost revenues. Most clubs sail pretty close to the wind in terms of liquidity. The AFL have a loan facility secured against Etihad for exactly this reason. Geelong are doing what nearly every club will be doing. The AFL might see some fat to trim, but it’s unlikely given the Cats are normally self sufficient.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Couldn’t access the article, but clubs bar the big 4 financial performers will be needing financial support. We need it, we’re just trying to avoid the AFL facility. Footy dept costs have been cut this year by about $8m. But you’d think that those savings will be eaten up pretty quickly by lost revenues. Most clubs sail pretty close to the wind in terms of liquidity. The AFL have a loan facility secured against Etihad for exactly this reason. Geelong are doing what nearly every club will be doing. The AFL might see some fat to trim, but it’s unlikely given the Cats are normally self sufficient.
It is Tom Browne but - they have trimmed some costs ? Allegedly. 2% of members have asked for a refund .

Some stuff on Jack Stevens and Eddie bashing

It is Tom Browne but - they have trimmed some costs ? Allegedly. 2% of members have asked for a refund .

Why is Tom Browne not coming out with his usual outlandish sanctions for Stevens...

If 2x8 players kicking the footy around together for 10 minutes deserves a $100k fine & loss of draft picks.... what does being out late at 1am getting stabbed deserve...

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

2% sounds like a brilliant result so far. Cats might rely on stadium earned revenue more than most other clubs though. My guess would be that our membership drop will be a fair bit more, but empty stadiums not as damaging. I wouldn’t guess as to how sponsorship revenue will be impacted. The AFL have mandated footy dept trim, that’s a non-negotiable. I would presume that Admin function has been looked at, I’m sure we have as well. But because we’re a better operation than the Cats, we’re ignoring the AFL’s finance facility. Only dumb clubs will use that, coz, you know, reasons.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
"">

In any organisation you trim the fat before asking for a loan. Or am I reading it wrong?

Think you'll find the Cats have big loans for the Stand Redevelopments at Kadinia Park ....would have forward projected revenues, and took a calculated risk to borrow heavily

Would have been us too, if we had already proceeded on Nth Adelaide .....sometimes it's about timing & luck

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why is Tom Browne not coming out with his usual outlandish sanctions for Stevens...

If 2x8 players kicking the footy around together for 10 minutes deserves a $100k fine & loss of draft picks.... what does being out late at 1am getting stabbed deserve...
Privacy...remember who the victim is here.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I see the man that thinks he’s Mr Football Eddie thinks we should be cutting the game time down FMD once again real football people,the people that pay to go see these overpaid Prima Donna’s are robbed, the entertainment or bang for your buck is slowly disappearing, let’s just fill the corporate tents with people that get half s**t faced and would not know forwards from backs go to the footy.
I know I shouldn’t bring up the past, what was wrong with going and watching the twos, look at a bit of the young talented coming through prior to the big knobs entering the arena, and at the end of it all Eddie can go home to his house in Toorak, yeh Everywhere Eddie STFU and stop trying to run OUR ****ing game and **** right off
The end of rant....... I think

Privacy...remember who the victim is here.
No issue with that... just pointing out the double standards of the Victorian media playing favourites with their local clubs & being hysterical when it comes to reporting on non-victorian clubs.

Yes, Stevens is the victim, but could have been avoided if he acted like a professional AFL player & avoided being out after midnight. Given his reluctance to talk about the incident, I doubt he is totally innocent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back