Mega Thread 2020 Off-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-AFL, SoO was fantastic. Seeing Kevin Taylor take that screamer in 83 was one of my footy highlights. The games were on Tuesdays, so they'd bus in schoolkids and the atmosphere was genuinely electric - giddy, special, the good guys beating up the bad guys and it being even greater because the good guys were underdogs.

It meant something then, to prove ourselves against the Big V, and the fact that we routinely beat them through the golden years of the 80s was why the memory is so sweet.

I can only imagine one footy thing better than the current crop of WA blokes beating seven shades of s**t out of allcomers - which they would do - and that's Freo finally waking up and doing what Fremantle teams should be doing. Dominating the * out of the comp.

And there's the rub.

No-one wants their best player hurt representing a confected idea. It'll be a kick and a giggle. What could be considered as Taylor's cynicism will be revealed to be an insistence on seeing reality as it is.

The "cause" is certainly a fundraiser, for those who are suffering from the effects of a natural disaster. I agree the game won't be played at full intensity but footballers are competitive beasts. They will want to win.
I don’t think so. They will want to fundraise.

Someone may sponsor every goal Eddie kicks; that kind of thing. One of the commentators trades the mic for a guernsey for a few minutes, and Billy Brownless threatens to “streak” if their aren’t enough dollars coming through.

I actually hope that it’s more like that because I support real state of origin.

I think it should be a draft for selecting the players where all the players are available.

Then if they can't play, they humbly pay a $1000 fine (or other amount).
Maybe companies and individuals can sponsor a selection in the draft. They bid for pick 1, 2,3... etc for the Vic’s or the Allies. And they get to choose the player like in the buddy drafts.

Entertaining evening of sport. De Minaur is taking it to Nadal and the Scorchers are on in the background

OMG Soo much sport for me to watch today- about 12hrs straight (woke up 4:30)starting with the Canucks(yay they won),then 49'rs game ,then the Ravens game(my son's team) which clashes with the Perth Heat game in Adelaide☹️,then @12 noon off too see our women's ice hockey team -Perth inferno😁

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well one of my selections to win the divisional round in the NFL took a pounding with Baltimore getting their pants pulled down by the Titans????? Never saw that one coming.

49ers over the Vikings was no surprise.

Chiefs getting 51 points after spotting the Texans a big start was huge. The Texans got 31 points of their own but still went down by 20 in an old fashioned shootout.

Sorry to see the Seahawks get knocked out by Green Bay but the Seahawks were hot and cold for most of the year so no great surprise really. Mind you Green Bay don't seem all that convincing for a 13-3 side to me.

49ers might just be favourites now that Baltimore is done.

Anyone else well and truly over the BBL after being pretty into it during its infancy? I think it suffers a lot from a lack of big international stars, including Aussie players. I'll catch a minute here and there of the odd Scorchers match but at this stage it all feels rather samey and run of the mill. Have found myself slowly getting into more and more US sports over the years to fill the summer itch and having Kayo really expedites that

Yep I've barely watched a game this season and Kayo is a big part of that.

Pre-kayo the BBL was a huge attraction for me because it meant sport on every night, but now I have sport constantly on tap so I don't find myself getting into the BBL much.

I'm really getting into boxing now thanks to kayo, the stakes are just so high compared to other sports that it makes for gripping viewing.

Yep I've barely watched a game this season and Kayo is a big part of that.

Pre-kayo the BBL was a huge attraction for me because it meant sport on every night, but now I have sport constantly on tap so I don't find myself getting into the BBL much.

I'm really getting into boxing now thanks to kayo, the stakes are just so high compared to other sports that it makes for gripping viewing.
I'm similar but, since the rise of Ben Simmons, I've taken to following the 76's in the NBA. I also enjoy listening to decent sports commentary...makes you realise what a bunch of nincompoops we have on our screens hear in Oz.

Yeah just read that, thought I heard them say Thunder on the Foxtel broadcast.

I think Jye is starting to hit his pre - injury form and he will most likely hold the key to taking down Stoinis and Maxwell. Will be interesting to see how we go against Cartwright was well. The bowlers should know him well and vice versa.

Year we've got two games in a row against the stars I'm pretty sure:think:
On a side note when is the time right to do a Pre-game segment (Rnd 4 Freo v Suns @Optus @2:35)
All time is WA time :)
Capture.PNG

Well one of my selections to win the divisional round in the NFL took a pounding with Baltimore getting their pants pulled down by the Titans????? Never saw that one coming.

49ers over the Vikings was no surprise.

Chiefs getting 51 points after spotting the Texans a big start was huge. The Texans got 31 points of their own but still went down by 20 in an old fashioned shootout.

Sorry to see the Seahawks get knocked out by Green Bay but the Seahawks were hot and cold for most of the year so no great surprise really. Mind you Green Bay don't seem all that convincing for a 13-3 side to me.

49ers might just be favourites now that Baltimore is done.

Boo on you for rooting against the Pack. Seagulls were on their 5th string RB and had a ton of injuries. The Pack has a better defense and that last sack on third down by Preston Smith was so clutch (if you’re looking for some fun video, watch the Smiths give their post game interviews together).

I’m not super confident that the Packers will beat the 49ers next weekend, but at least another week of football. It’s too bad Seattle didn’t beat the 49ers in the last game so the Packers had a number one seed. If it were at Lambeau Field I would say they would have a pretty good chance. Either way, it’s another week of football, which I’m totally good with.

e9c5f01469d78cdeef66c051bcfb690a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Boo on you for rooting against the Pack. Seagulls were on their 5th string RB and had a ton of injuries. The Pack has a better defense and that last sack on third down by Preston Smith was so clutch (if you’re looking for some fun video, watch the Smiths give their post game interviews together).

I’m not super confident that the Packers will beat the 49ers next weekend, but at least another week of football. It’s too bad Seattle didn’t beat the 49ers in the last game so the Packers had a number one seed. If it were at Lambeau Field I would say they would have a pretty good chance. Either way, it’s another week of football, which I’m totally good with.

e9c5f01469d78cdeef66c051bcfb690a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not rooting against the Packers as much as having some interest in Seattle and Russel Wilson. The Packers are doing what they have to do so far and may well continue on that way too. Good luck for the rest of the finals.

The NFL is having a real changing of the guard at the moment and that's exciting for the enjoyment of seeing teams other than your own slug it out in the finals. I follow Denver as my son lives there so finals is minus any emotional team attachment for the past few years?????

1st ODI in India is live on 501 for anyone with Foxtel who is interested in 50 over cricket.

It aggravates me so much that the Aussie cricketers still haven’t grasped the LBW rule and continue to review decisions that clearly pitched outside leg stump...

6 overs in and we’ve wasted our review.
Good start for the Aussies nonetheless.

Warner and Finch have both scored not out hundreds to chase down India’s 255. Aussies win by ten wickets with 12 overs remaining. I think that is the most emphatic 50 over victory I have seen. Maybe we’ve had better against minnows, but against India in Mumbai? Ridiculous! Great to see the Aussies on the rise in all formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back