Preview 2020 Player Previews

Remove this Banner Ad

Too be honest I'm not a fan and I think we over paid for him and I think it was SOS worst trade. Two 2nd round draft pick plus McAdam (didn't have the best year with injury but still kicked 22 goals in 14 games in the sanfl) is too much for a third tall forward.

I think he needs to perform well early in the year when Curnow and McKay could be missing because other wise he'll be competing with Kennedy and JSOS for that third tall spot and both Kennedy and JSOS IMO add more to the team with there ability to go through the midfield.

Too be honest I'm not a fan and I think we over paid for him and I think it was SOS worst trade. Two 2nd round draft pick plus McAdam (didn't have the best year with injury but still kicked 22 goals in 14 games in the sanfl) is too much for a third tall forward.

I think he needs to perform well early in the year when Curnow and McKay could be missing because other wise he'll be competing with Kennedy and JSOS for that third tall spot and both Kennedy and JSOS IMO add more to the team with there ability to go through the midfield.
Early in the piece, I would 100% agree with you. The last portion of the season and now the preseason have given me hope that the bloke can realise his potential and, in fact be a spectacular weapon for us. Motivation and/or commitment seemed as much an issue as a series of nagging injuries, but something seems to have clicked.

Make no mistake, the bloke has all the weapons, and if now instilled with the want by his mate Teaguey and Jack Russell, can become a star of the game. Skills, leap, pace he pretty much has it all. Underwhelming last year, but am seeing Bosustow like potential here. Optimistic.

Pretty inconsistent analysis . The McAdam excuse can equally be applied to MM. He had a nasty back injury in preseason and still managed 22 goals 7 behinds with 7 goal assists. He was clearly struggling fitness wise and came back much fitter after "Cage" so showed his determination.
Given that he only played 16 games and was mostly injured/unfit in 2019 , it is not unreasonable to expect a 40 goal season in 2020. In fact if he played 23 games he would have kicked 33.6 goals just based on his averages. Another 6-7 based on being far fitter is not unreasonable.
He provides real x factor and has an unbelievable leap. Is deceptively quick and can tackle viciously . I think he is a perfect foil for Harry and Charlie. mm.png

Last edited:

Yeah. No.
Mitch will be a ripper this year and has got a bit of mongrel in him.
We also got a third rounder back from the crows for this year in that deal which I think kind of turned into Pittonet via swapping our 48 to swans for 54 & 63 and then 54 & 63 for Pittonet and 61.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early in the piece, I would 100% agree with you. The last portion of the season and now the preseason have given me hope that the bloke can realise his potential and, in fact be a spectacular weapon for us. Motivation and/or commitment seemed as much an issue as a series of nagging injuries, but something seems to have clicked.

Make no mistake, the bloke has all the weapons, and if now instilled with the want by his mate Teaguey and Jack Russell, can become a star of the game. Skills, leap, pace he pretty much has it all. Underwhelming last year, but am seeing Bosustow like potential here. Optimistic.

I agree with the Bosustow feel about Gov Coona. Both a bit porky and unfit till about this age. Both explosive when near VFL/AFL fit and committed.

He's a moment and impact and lift his teammates with something special kinda player. A mark, a goal, a big tackle, a match turning 15 min block etc. As BA said, he's not a 20 possession each week, consistent quarter to quarter type forward.

Charlie and Harry are our 2 main forwards. Gov the wildcard. Really good mix. 25,23 and 22yo.

Gov had a terrible 2019 but he's a much better footballer than what he showed in his first season at the club.

A fit McGovern is an outstanding footballer who walks into every forward line in the competition.

2 x 2nd round picks and a 24 year old who may never play a game of senior football is absolutely not too much to play for a footballer of McGovern's caliber.

Terry called it right to cut Gov some slack due to back injury. Affected his season. Luck and injury an underestimated facet of footy

Hey everyone, I know it's not a player preview of the sort we're used to in this thread, but I just had an article published previewing Carlton for this upcoming season of Supercoach! If you give it a read, let me know what you think and if you agree or disagree with my picks. Thanks!

Wow a lot of people really did like my review of McGovern.

Yes he had a poor year in 2019 with injury and played 16 games for 22 goals. Also had a poor year in 2018 and played 12 games for 15 goals and in 2017 played 13 games for 20 goals. He did have a good year in 2016 played 23 games with 32 goals. Did play in 2015. Hasn't average more than 13 disposals a game.

McGovern is a very talented and skilled player and if fit will be best 22 without question. He's a consistent goal kicker averaging over a goal per game over his 5 season.

Here is my problem is he big / strong enough to hold down a FF or CHF position or does he have a tank to push up to the wing/ midfield. He's a third tall forward. Players need to add more strings to there bow. Without him we could have De Koning playing third tall/ back up ruckman or if Casboult form continues. We could have Kennedy and JSOS swapping between the forward line and midfield. We can't play 4 or more player above 190cm in our forward. For a player going into his 6th season he seems to lack flexibility and develop his game.

My other issues what we gave up for him. Let's forget about McAdam we don't know what will happen to him and also the later pick swap. Let's just look at pick 26 and 28. The total point of the 2 picks equals pick 10. Here are other trades that make me think we over paid.

Stringer was traded for picks 25 and 30
Cameron was traded for pick 12
Schache was traded for picks 25 and 40
Tom Mitchell was traded for pick 14
Caddy was traded for pick 24

I hope I'm 100% wrong and at the end off 2020 he plays every game and kicks 50 goals and makes AA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back