Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Some year on year player by player comments. I’ll do them in groups if that’s ok.....and if it isn’t, I don’t give a s**t.

1. Jack. As has been pointed out he’s missed some of the preseason. It’s never been clear to me why. However he has probably done the bulk of it. He looks super fit. Even better than last year (and he had a good preseason last year). His running is absolutely good enough to play midfield if they want that. In short bursts he played tagger on Cripps at various points and I really liked his capacity to stick at it. I think he feels at home now and has a great deal of strings to his bow.
2. Paddy Dow. Gosh I’ve bounced around all preseason (in fact all his career) about this guy. Here’s where I’m at with him: he’s going to be a gun....in a few more years. I think I’ve seen enough now to say his kicking has really cleaned up a lot. He’s using his pace to straighten up. He’s balancing before he kicks. He’s punching his kicks and keeping them low. He’s not being too ambitious with them. His other major weakness (his endurance running) has def improved but I’d still call it ‘below average’ for a mid and in the age of two way running I think is going to hold him back for another year. Today a couple of times I noted he just couldn’t work hard enough defensively. His strengths remain absolutely elite and are regularly on show. His hands (often missed) are top shelf. I almost never see him fumble any ball, even at his toes. His ability to take big steps with power in traffic is sensational. What I mean by that is he can really stretch in one stride and yet not lose power in the process. Quite unique and makes him so gifted at creating space in close. Still a WIP but a wonderful one at that.
3. Murph. He will be what he was second half last year: still a top 100 AFL player. His agility today really impressed me. I was so impressed with it. Two or three times he just gave himself so much time and space. He can still do the freaky stuff just as he always could. I don’t see any signs of slowing down for him. His endurance running isn’t amazing at training, but it never has been. So those who are new to watching him shouldn’t worry too much. He’s where he’s always been in the group runs. Glad he is still on board. A 7 time top two finisher in our B+F.
4. LOB. Gee until today I was bullish. I may not have been ‘convinced’ about him but I saw plenty. Great outside run. Long kicking. Unfortunately today the moment the pressure of game situations came on some of his his weaknesses showed up. What I REALLY don’t like is the too frequent fumbling at his feet, and the fact he is still buckling too easily when tackled. I’m currently ‘dunno, just dunno’ about him.
5. SPS. Has had a very solid preseason but did nothing today. Not even running. I like him a lot across half back due to his elite decision making and ball skills. I have to say though his lack of size and lack of elite athletic attributes have me thinking he’s a fringe player right now. Which isn’t to say I don’t like him. But he just isn’t standing out. I haven’t seen anything this preseason that makes me think ‘has taken a further step’ and therefore I expect a similar output to last year at this stage, if he can hold his spot given the extra pressure.
6. Simmo. Literally hasn’t lost anything. Same as Murph. No agility loss. His endurance running is elite as it has been since he got serious with it 4-5 years ago. Love the pairing of him with Doc coming out of them backline. Throw in Newman and the avenues to bring the ball out of the backline are looking terrific.
7. Kennedy. Has looked a lot lighter and
His running for the most part has been great. I’d say he’s absolutely no hope of breaking into this midfield. He needs to aim at a half forward role and aim to become that Josh Caddy type. Injured recently- seems to be a knee. He wouldn’t want that to last else he will certainly start the year in the twos and if the big three all get back mid year I’d say he will stay there.
8. Kreuzer. I mean gee, he’s done a LOT of the preseason. Seems occasionally managed, but is doing the bulk of it. Some time around this point last year he disappeared with a knee cleanup and it affected his start to the season. Fingers crossed they are managing him better now. He couldn’t keep up with Willo in repeat 150s today but that’s no crime. He looks slightly lighter and his agility is good.
9. Crippa. Wtf can I say? He just destroyed them today. I reckon he would be down to a sub 6’30” 2km time now. I’d say he’s never been close to his present endurance condition. I haven’t seen him miss any preseason. Seems to be just going great guns. I think he should be the Brownlow favourite. He’s just gone up another level, amazingly. You’re going to see him in more link up play. You’re going to see HIM provide numbers to the contest. It’s amazing really.
10. McKay. Not gonna lie I’ve been very worried about him until today. Today he ran more than before. And he kicked it. I’m pumped to have seen that. Gee he’s a unit. I think I said last week that he has put on muscle. I think a good 5kg. Which is heaps. He’s a monster now. Like he made Jack Silvagni look like a dwarf today. Amazing. What I loved was the running today was FAST. And he did some power 2 minute runs as well. He’s in shape. I now expect to see him round one. Will he get back to last year? Not sure. He was killing it this time last year. He’s done no preseason this year. But he’s bigger and stronger. At this stage I expect a slight regression this year but ill be surprised if he’s not there round one.

I’ll do another group tomorrow.

On McKay, the most important part of any pre-season is the 6-8 weeks prior to round 1. If he can maintain a smooth run at it from here he'll have plenty of kms under him to work with.

Same story with Marchbank, who seems to be tracking in the right direction.

Unsure if McGovern's calf is still bothering him, do you know anything here, barass70?

Apologies if Harker has answered.

1. I think a few. Newman at one point. Betts just Bettsed him.
2. Dunno
3. I didn’t focus on it. Other than move it quickly it didn’t feel different. It was the second kick that was interesting. Felt like they came on board if they could (but not stupidly so) a bit earlier than I recall. Was a really nice balance.
4. Cutting back in slightly earlier from the back half I feel.
5. Balance! Nothing looked stupid today. If it was ‘on’, then they came inside.
6. None
7. Dow maybe. Gibbons wasn’t amazing today but I think he’s maybe round one. Newnes ahead of LOb on today. Willow maybe. TDK no way- despite doing ok in hitouts.
TDK is the Mckay of 2020...you give him games, especially if Mckay and CCurnow are out

Thanks for all the updates again everyone.

From the pieces that I've read this pre-season from the track watchers, it's almost like Cripps has gone under the radar a bit. Obviously he gets a mention in most (if not all) write ups for the open days, he's a hard man to miss, but the details and focus seems to be on others eg. Cunners, Weiters, Walsh etc. Probably fair enough considering what we expect as "normal standard" from Patty, and with others taking the next step and flourishing around him.

Some of the comments that are made like those from Windows (ie. the transition running and his 2k times) are staggering. Can already football to a freak standard and scary to think this bloke has more in the tank to keep improving this side of the game. Gotta give it to the big unit, his dedication levels to not only our footy club, but also to himself as a professional athlete are amazing.

Not bad for a fat kid who couldn't run!

Introductory Comments:
  • This is the most Thylacine list I’ve ever seen. DEPTH. It’s amazing. Just bow at the alter of SOS and pray.
  • The amount of ‘gee that was good’ moments I had today was simply off the charts.
  • The overall fitness of this group is just superb. An amazing improvement in 12 months. Fair play to Soapy- he called it a year ago.
  • The number of disappointments were, well it was probably only one and I don’t want to hammer him so I won’t feature it too much.
  • The balance is so good. Mature. Middle age. Developing youth. The brand new kids can just take their time.
  • They just really like each other this group. They have fun.

Let’s clear off the protocols. Injuries etc.
  • rehab group was SPS (who did no running at all), Kennedy (who did slow running and had a knee strap), Kemp, then 3 who did a fair bit. MCG, Jack and McKay. McKay is flying. And huge. Did more running today than last time. And kicking which is great to see for someone coming back from groin problems.
  • Jack is in great shape. He kept giving MCG a 10m head start in 150m runs and ran him down. Not that MCG looked bad either.
  • Macreadie and Marchy still in rehab. I timed Marchy at a 20 sec 150 which is the fastest I’ve clocked anyone this summer. In superb shape running wise. Must be close to rejoining. Macreadie also fit.
  • Ed C seemed to be there at the start of training then left and I don’t know at what stage (but def early) or why
  • Kreuzer, Murphy, Newman, Gibbo: all players with question marks from previous sessions all participated fully the whole day. No issues. Great to see. Kreuzer looking super lean and fit.

———
The main group had a number of players I don’t know attend. Johnson from the Northern Blues was def one so I gather the others are also from there. Maybe 5? Making up numbers for the game simulation.

—-
They started drills in three groups. Agility drills.

One on one marking drills. Tackling and evasion drills. Not much to report here. Quite liked the first drill: lead and mark, then leading player push back and defend on a lead back to goal square. Newman way too good for Honey was about all that stood out.

—-

Then the real excitement began. 3 x 15 mins of match play. I’d say they went at 90 percent. No bone jarring hits etc but pretty full on.

It was simply outstanding play. Keep in mind no McKay, CC or MCG. Yet some of the play was breathtaking. Elite.

The first quarter was largely Possibles Vs Probables. Dow and LOB were in the Possibles which was interesting. And for my only real negative of the day: LOB showed why. He was fumbly, his body was a bit weak in the tackle, and his kicking was average. I’m going to pass it off as rust, but it was a shame as he’s had such a good preseason. The other two quarters the teams were thrown around.

Positionally the players were as expected: Weiters, Newman, Jones, Plow, Simmo and Doc the backline. Crippa only played mid. Ed started mid then I lost him. Eddie and Martin forward with Levi. Murph a bit forward and mid. Dow the same. Cunners Mid in the ‘Probables’ and that will never happen again....more on him later. Setters and Lob on a wing. Walsh played mid, wing and forward. Newnes wing and half back. Kreuzer Pittonet and TDk all shares the ruck. Casboult no ruck time.

Just a quick notes dump for you...

1st quarter quick thoughts:
Backline looked immense. Walsh and Cripps amazing. Hard to see how they can keep Cunners out of the side. A long way in front of Dow this quarter.
——-
Q2: Walsh to a wing. Super Impressive Fisher, Murphy, Cripps, Casboult chain.

Play of the day Cunners break tackle and 50m goal. He’s on FIRE. Fisher terrific. Hands. Standing up in tackles. Skills. Pressure

Newnes solid. Martin solid. Cunners. Amazing. Honey showed up well! Walsh strength in a tackle terrific. Overall just amazing.

Like this is the single best session I’ve ever seen. SO much to like. Especially Harry McKay running so powerfully.

Kennedy sore knee not at full pace. Macreadie who must be 37 years old now.

LOB disappointing so far.
——

Third quarter

Willo on wing now. Cunners showing same again. Dow a nice burst. LOB fumbled. Honey lots of power.

Stocker looks fit. Really nice centre clearance by stocker. Walsh looks super. Stronger. TDK actually looking good in ruck. Winning Hitouts. Lang moving the best he has at he club.

Philp showing nice signs. Nice size. Good pace. Stocker showing great signs.Weitering too good for Levi.

Dow showing good signs. Kicking is fine. Maybe needs more of it. Stocker good hands in close. Martin nice mark.

Newman continually running off half back. Fantastic Paddy Wow moment. Crumbed. Burst from a pack. Snap goal.

Dow burst. Gosh Finbar hasn’t been.....too bad???

In case you’re wondering...Eddie is stilll afreak. He kicked 3?

Setters just consistently good. Keeps getting the ball. Using it well.

——

After the game play finished they did more work.

5 min 3/4 field work x 3 I think? Transition practice. Some random guy showed a bit. Number 7. NFI who he is.

Cripps fitness is sensational. What stood out for me in the game and in general was that his running to contest has gone up a level. He’s SO fit now.

Philp really showed somehting then stuffed his kicks. Weitering looks sensational. Everything about Dow kicking is better. Refusing to be rushed. No more exaggerated ball drop. Neat low and punch.
——
Then they finished off with running of course. The painful 2 min, 90 sec, 30 sec and repeat drill they do.

Order:
Walsh and Cottrell killed it.
Doc
Newnes
Simmo
Goddard
Setters
Ramsay
Murph
Fish
Martin
Dow
Lang
Polson

——
That’s a notes dump. Now a collection of my general thoughts. I may do a Player By Player Year on Year review later.

Generally we are SO impressive now. Here’s why:
  • Fisher, Walsh and Cunners can all stand up in tackles now. Especially the second two.
  • The balance of the midfield group is outstanding. Want a bit of grunt? No problem. Cripps and Ed can get in there and get it. Stocker a watch here too! A few times in the midfield today he showed clean hands, a strong body and an ability to make sharp decisions.
  • Want inside / outside? No drama. Cunners (I’m coming to him), Walsh, Setters can all do it.
  • I love our link up play. It started to show up last year and I really see it being a strength this year. These guys are all great in a chain: Martin, Gibbo, Simmo, Doc, Walsh, Fish, Cunners, Setters, Crippa. Just super decision makers in close. Great users. They will string the ball together brilliantly as a group this year.
  • Weitering and Jones in tandem is a sight to behold. Casboult destroyed Goddard in Q1 of the match play. But in Q3 they put Weiters on him and he was simply too good. I feel so safe with him on anyone now. Fantastic.
  • We feel so much stronger all over the ground. Add the big three into the forward line and I feel we have no material weaknesses.

Some player thoughts. In order of ‘blew me away’.....Ok fine, it’s not a Sam Walsh moment....but Jesus H Christ Cunners is impressive. It’s not just his burst. Please I beg you to watch the hands. It happens WAY too often. He has the best hands at the club. Single best. No doubt. His reflexes are freakish. His hands at his feet are sublime. Then after the gather he can side step a small cargo ship. Then straight speed forward. He’s unstoppable. Then what? Lace put delivery that’s what. He’s strong in a tackle. Let’s stop kicking around here. fu** the forward pocket s**t. Screw the high half forward rubbish. Put the kid in the guts and get the fu** out of his way. This is breakout city here. Like there is too much data on his positive attributes now. He has one residual weakness: he gets lost. Stanton called out at one point “what are you thinking Cunners?” A telltale sign of what they discuss and what he is still working on. He was just ‘watching’ the game at the time. Doesn’t worry me at all. I’ve said it before: Kouta had the same problem and it’s overcome by taking thinking out of it.

Go get it son!!!!!! Off my head excited at what he showed me today. And has all summer. Massive fan. Massive fan.

Crippa. He’s number two on the Windows Hall of Holy s**t. He’s......better. Yep. He’s better. His running and agility are 10 percent up. He’s overlap running- never seen that before. Numbers to the contest stuff. Getting on the outside. Pushing back hard to defence. He’s not Walsh like but shittttt.

Jacob Weitering is the AA CHB Locked in. Just forget it. He’s bigger. He’s stronger. He doesn’t look slow. His kicking, marking, general footy play is all off the leash. I can’t think of a defender I’d prefer. If the ball comes slow into our backline this year just forget it. He will halve it or win it back. He was too strong for LEVI today. Read that again. He was too strong for LEVI.

Sam Walsh comes in at number 4 on Windows’ Why We Can Make the Top 4 List. He’s got the body strength of a 25 year old now. You can’t bring him to ground. I thought his running had dropped off a tad. Nope. He pushed Cottrell ALL the way in the runs today. His kicking is better. His contested ball is better. This off his outstanding year last year. I wouldn’t swap him for any player under 25 in the game. Please don’t think of him as a ‘good young player’. He’s just a fu**en gun NOW. He’s elite NOW. He just makes me smile repeatedly. He does everything so so well. Clean hands. Smart decisions. Of course my fave is the slalom runs. At one point today he literally ran around in a circle inside 4 opponents and then mysteriously popped out on his own. Calm in the moment.

Think about this centre square setup and tell me you’re not excited: Kreuzer, Crippa, Walsh and Cunners. I’d back that group against ANY four in the Comp.

Like Zaccy Fisher is standing up in tackles. He’s getting to the outside. He is hitting up targets. And I’m not sure how to fit him in! Murph is Murph. Simmo is Simmo. Kreuzer is Kreuzer. Jones is (the new) Jones.

Newman just dispelled any rubbish thoughts I had about him not being best 22 today. Forget that s**t. Laser left leg. Good one on one. Ran hard and created. Forget it. He’s a lock. Willo was good but has a bit to go. Btw willo murdered Kreuzer in their 150s.

I will do a player by player later but I’ve never been happier with our list. Sorry I just have too much to say. I have a lot on today so it’s hard to make this concise and I’ll add more later.
Sen*insational MR Windows 1 this is the best training report hands down, you certainly brought your A game to training today. Keep checking your in box for that invite to do the State of the Union Address next year as after this it is definitely coming. Well done young man sincerely hope this isn’t your last training report as it will be a big loss to all us BF track watchers. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Thanks to everyone for the posts. I have Melbourne envy for the first time in my 10yrs in Geelong.
Every time I’ve been to training I’ve left feeling we’re way off the pace.
We keep our best on the park and we’ll be competitive
What I want from this year is a launching pad.
We’ve got one now. I want a bigger one next year.
I think we can challenge for the flag in 21

Imagine if Dow, Fisher, Cunners et al come on
It’s 79 all over again

Macca just stop, I didn't start the interaction, you replied to my post

I don't agree with you at all on Gibbons, I see him well in contention for best 22, even with zero injuries

Now, just move on and we will see what the season unfolds
I think with the emphasis that Teague is putting on our transition work that Gibbo would be well in contention for a spot come Rd1, he was a really big contributor in our transition chains in the second half of the year and he has a huge tank which allows him to keep running all day long which is where he might have the upper hand on some of the younger guys in that he will still be running hard come the second half of games where the young guys might be spent. 👍🏽

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with the emphasis that Teague is putting on our transition work that Gibbo would be well in contention for a spot come Rd1, he was a really big contributor in our transition chains in the second half of the year and he has a huge tank which allows him to keep running all day long which is where he might have the upper hand on some of the younger guys in that he will still be running hard come the second half of games where the young guys might be spent. 👍🏽
Spot on.. great tank, strong transitional chains, mature and clever player who runs out games gives him some great advantages over some of the younger players who besides O'Brien are not at his level atm tank wise.
I think there will be a handful of them competing every week for maybe one or two spots that could be up for grabs, depending all on fitness and form.
Gibbons- mid/fwd.. Dow mid/fwd.. O'Brien- wing.. Williamson def/wing.. Newnes wing/def.. would be all ahead of the rest imo for the best 22 if and when needed... Stocker hopefully pushes his case but my feeling is maybe a big development year playing on ball with the NB's...

Sounds like Cunners might be the one to step up and grab a midfield slot, would be good for him and Murph to rotate between forward and Mid to slowly ease him in to taking over from Murph down the line, would be a really good replacement for Murph if he stays fit and learns to keep his head in the game for longer periods.

I wonder just how much of an impact Diesel is having on our young mids as it sounds like a fair few of them have really improved there games this pre season, Dow definitely seems to have benefitted from Diesels involvement and it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that he is responsible for Dow’s improved kicking and composure with ball in traffic, what a valuable asset to have on hand for the young mids really couldn’t ask for a better teacher/mentor.

I think our midfield will really start to dominate starting this year and will just continue to get better as we slowly drip feed more players in to the mix, we really have a great variety of different types to roll through there now and will have even more in the years ahead with youngsters in Philp, Ramsey and Honey to develop in the lower level, really starting to get the numbers through there that reminds me of the Doggies midfield in there premiership year, but with better talent I think and a lot more diversity, good times ahead for us Blues fans, can’t wait, bounce the *in ball already.

Also great work from Harks with his training report and everyone else that has chipped in as well, I’ve already pumped up Windows tyres enough so don’t need to say anymore about the Windex Kid. 👍🏽🤣😆

Last edited:
Gibbo has a good head on his shoulders & makes mostly good decisions. He also doesn't mind giving the opposition some cheek. In a team that will still be relatively inexperienced this season, these traits, along with those you have mentioned, will make Gibbo a valuable contributor as we start our climb up the ladder this season.

Eddie surely taking the piss in that match sim with the shorts. They're up to his ******* calves, lol.
One can only guess that he was going to grab a surfboard & hit the waves after training was finished. This could be the only reasonable explanation for his fashion choice.

Thanks to all those posting reports, much appreciated. Question to the track watchers...

Any sign of the game plan going inside 50? The last few years have been infuriating in the way we have bombed the ball inside 50. I know the three talls haven't been out there, but any sign that the mids are looking to hit up leading forwards, or other mids dropping back into space?

Thanks to all those posting reports, much appreciated. Question to the track watchers...

Any sign of the game plan going inside 50? The last few years have been infuriating in the way we have bombed the ball inside 50. I know the three talls haven't been out there, but any sign that the mids are looking to hit up leading forwards, or other mids dropping back into space?

I don't think there's any one absolute way to go, like we trialled the last couple of years, but having good ball users makes for the difference.
We're likely to see guys like SPS, Williamson, Newman and even Docherty running on from the backline to forward of centre.
We then have some pretty good ball-users in Fisher, Walsh, Cuningham, O'Brien Martin etc around the ball.
I don't think we'll mind the odd bomb having Betts and Martin hunting at ground level. Martin isn't bad in the air either.

Gibbo has a good head on his shoulders & makes mostly good decisions. He also doesn't mind giving the opposition some cheek. In a team that will still be relatively inexperienced this season, these traits, along with those you have mentioned, will make Gibbo a valuable contributor as we start our climb up the ladder this season.

Pretty much. I can see players we perceive to be better miss out for having Gibbons in the team.
We do need players that can muscle up to, or even put opponents off their game and Gibbons can certainly do that

Keep forgetting we have Williamson. Rate him massively. Hope he's had an uninterrupted preseason. Had tonnes of mongrel as a first year player in a side that showed little. One to watch.
He is still ever so slightly managed. I think he does about 80 percent of training, then some running. Millimetre by millimetre build up. Love it.

On McKay, the most important part of any pre-season is the 6-8 weeks prior to round 1. If he can maintain a smooth run at it from here he'll have plenty of kms under him to work with.
Same story with Marchbank, who seems to be tracking in the right direction.
Unsure if McGovern's calf is still bothering him, do you know anything here, barass70?

CCurnow - Knee. Nothing we don't know here.
McKay - Groin. Is still running straight line and some limited kicking drills
Marchbank - Neck. Looking good to me otherwise though. Running freely and has engaged in some drills.
JSilvagni - Back according to barass. He does look to be moving freely though.
Macreadie - ? Not good for him not to fully engaged at this point of the season.
Kennedy - Knee it seems. Has been bandaged for a few weeks now, but some him take part in drills in recent weeks.
McGovern - Calf? When he had the bandage on, he was participating in all drills. Bandaging is off now.
SPS - Limited time on the ground this week and only engaged in the side-drills and a little running.
Kemp - Knee. Nothing we don't know.

Players that don't look likely to front in March - CCurnow, Kemp, McKay and Macreadie.

Hey special mention to Josh Honey. Harker I watched him more closely. He’s def got something interesting. Power, kicks it a mile. Strong through tackles already. Didn’t notice any fumbling or stupid decision making yesterday.

So Harker you may be right. I look forward to your VFL reports on him!

I thought all the new guys showed something yesterday at one time or another, but Honey again looked tidiest to me.
Philp knows how to find the ball but some of his decision making and execution weren't quite on the mark yesterday.
Ramsay looks like a bat out of hell.

Great to see that they don't look out of place.

Just on the young guys -

I mentioned Phillips on Wednesday and the quality of his goal-kicking from angles around his body. He's got skill.
I should have mentioned O'Dwyer also. Held Goddard out of the contest, to open a way to goal and did some very tidy things around the flanks.
O'Dwyer was again tidy yesterday without being exceptional. He's better than what we saw this time last year and by some way.

All of our young players are showing up some traits that at least make you feel that they have a chance.
Of course some won't make it (see Schumacher) but even Schumacher had traits that stood out and were AFL capable.

11. McG. Despite missing multiple chunks of time now he’s a mile in front of where he was last year. He didn’t seem to push quite as hard running yesterday but is moving freely. Is very fit. Lean and looking strong. He’s in for a really good year.
12. TDK. Is performing well in hit outs at training and I’m convinced he’s a long term ruck option. But it won’t be this year. Or probably even next. But hats the way of it for most ruckmen. He’s a lot more agile than Pittonet but he’s not agile enough to hold down a key forward spot. And he’s not fit or strong enough to hold down ruck yet. So I expect him to tease a bit but we will be relying on Harker to give us news of any progress from the VFL.
13. Stocker. Before Xmas I felt he was still a bit too big. Especially the last2 week’s he really seems to have dropped weight. I didn’t recognise him for a while yesterday. Kept thinking “who is that guy”. He is still a well below average endurance runner. BUT it has improved. He often doesn’t do the interval work with the main group which is interesting. I haven’t been able to work out whether that’s load Mgt or whether he’s on a different program. But yesterday he showed plenty. In the backline he’s very safe! One on one he’s terrific. He doesn’t fumble, makes smart decisions, keeps his feet, uses it well. I really like him in the backline. I think he will really pressure for that last spot. And be a more than adequate cover if he isn’t first team. Then yesterday he went on ball and 2-3 times won contests....including one against Cripps which was sensational. Side by side and went at it on even terms and Stocker won. So he’s def improved this year and we should be enthused by his future.
14. Great to see Liam get a completely free run at it. Hasn’t skipped a beat. Yesterday he did some endurance work at the end which the big guys have seemed to dodge so perhaps they think his cardio has dropped too far. I barely see Weiters do any running work now. All power and game play only for him.
15. LOVE THE DOC!!!! Can’t believe I didn’t bother with him yesterday in my training report. He was terrific. I feel like he held back a bit (maybe went 75 percent). He certainly avoided any silly contest situations. Which is good! Btw Simmo does too so I think it’s instruction to the mature guys. The Doc looks better than I’ve ever seen. Weirdly I don’t recall him kicking the ball SO well. Just punching 45m passes lace out....rinse repeat. Warmed my heart to see him organise the backline yesterday. Has been sadly missed. He’s ******* AA this year baby. Trust me.
16. Lang. I have to be fair to this guy. I usually give him no credit. No time. He has improved a LOT. Was obviosuly hampered last year. His skills and ball handling are great. BUT he’s a s**t runner....Paddy dow beats him which says it all. I still don’t see a role for him. But good on him for working hard and he wouldn’t be the worst forward back up.
17. That’s Kemp I think? If it is- he’s in rehab. He’s bigger than Jack S (not a hope in hell is Jack 194). I’ll be happy to see him have a Doc year in rehab and make good progress athletically.
18. My son. Look I love him dearly. I actually genuinely wanted to hug him at the autograph session after training. Such a lovely young man. No one has ever tried harder than this kid. After a hard training session yesterday he almost beat Cottrell in the interval work. All on guys. Cottrell clearly the better runner (lighter). His kicking hasn’t more punch. Lower and harder. He was already standing up in tackles but that has gone up a level now. He’s a bit faster. A lot stronger. Seems confident in himself. Has half an hour when he gets the ball (remember early last year when he got caught a lot?). Now he actually HAPPILY gets tackled (a la Cripps) because he knows he will still get it off. His Houdini effort yesterday was something to behold. Running around in a circle inside multiple opponents then popping out the other side on his own. Will threaten for B+F and AA. 28 a game. 12 contested. 13 goals.

Which of our mids will kick the most goals this year? Cripps - Setterfield - Walsh - Dow - Murphy - Fisher - ECurnow - SPS - Kennedy
I'm only using these guys as they're the ones that will likely be the ones used in the centre square.

I'm saying Walsh as what I'm seeing is someone that we know finds a lot of the ball, but also has that burst to seperate.
His kicking for goal has also been of a high standard this pre-season, to date.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back