Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be interesting to see his weight year to year
Now up to 93kg's apparently with reduced body fat and additional muscle. Not sure what his playing weight was last year but think it was 90kg's. I really dont think they want him to broaden out, more so increase his core strength while keeping his athleticism.

Now up to 93kg's apparently with reduced body fat and additional muscle. Not sure what his playing weight was last year but think it was 90kg's. I really dont think they want him to broaden out, more so increase his core strength while keeping his athleticism.
That's pretty smart. Stronger core will allow him to keep his positioning and not get knocked off the ball so easily. Only trouble is it can take so long to develop, especially with the taller guys.

Does anyone know who played for A and B?

Not a full breakdown but the article below does mention some names. Apparently Ely and C. Lyons were both in the As, which is interesting

Even though it's only a match sim hearing there were 7 combined goals for Charlie and hippy in just 20 min got me excited!

Danny Daly’s insight into the Lions’ second match simulation https://www.lions.com.au/news/554786

Ballenden looking a bit fitter too and good to hear about his contested marking. With his kicking ability would be a very nice relief ruck option if either of Martin or Big O went down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ballenden looking a bit fitter too and good to hear about his contested marking. With his kicking ability would be a very nice relief ruck option if either of Martin or Big O went down.
Ballenden did some really nice things in the Match Praccie in Brissie last week.
I know a lot are a little disgruntled with McStay so I wonder if he is an option to possibly replace him. It would make us a bit taller but if he can move up and down the ground as well as McStay he may be an option there. And could be a better kick at goal and take his chances, unlike McStay at this stage.

He's been ineffectual playing up the field for us in the past. Gets lost in the contest
He was effective sometimes when used running of the back of the contest occasionally for Adelaide.
But then his kicking would often let him down once he got into space.

He was effective sometimes when used running of the back of the contest occasionally for Adelaide.
But then his kicking would often let him down once he got into space.

Unfortunately that was pre the 6-6-6 rule when he could run off the back of the square

He's been ineffectual playing up the field for us in the past. Gets lost in the contest
I guess the game plan is evolving,and we’ll see more of it.At least that’s what he said in a recent interview.

Ballenden did some really nice things in the Match Praccie in Brissie last week.
I know a lot are a little disgruntled with McStay so I wonder if he is an option to possibly replace him. It would make us a bit taller but if he can move up and down the ground as well as McStay he may be an option there. And could be a better kick at goal and take his chances, unlike McStay at this stage.
The different between Ballandene and McStay, on last year's form which can change, McStay will crash a pack and bring the ball to ground Ballandene doesn't quite have enough mongrel in him to hit the pack thinking it's just tenpins. A bit more size and confidence and problem solved. Ballandene advantage is obviously his kicking but his ability to help out in the ruck - a little. Ruckman need a bit 'don't care' they are big blokes bashing into each other and wrestling around the ground Ballandene got shown up a few times last year 1 on 1 where he was out manoeuvred and tossed aside. But again he is a big bloke and it take time to get size onto the frame and with a bit more bulk this could easily change. I'd like to see Ballandene get some games this year, in open play he is a great link man and deadly with that boot. I think he will need a few games in a row to get used of the pace but I'm glad he is on the list and wish him well this season.

The different between Ballandene and McStay, on last year's form which can change, McStay will crash a pack and bring the ball to ground Ballandene doesn't quite have enough mongrel in him to hit the pack thinking it's just tenpins. A bit more size and confidence and problem solved. Ballandene advantage is obviously his kicking but his ability to help out in the ruck - a little. Ruckman need a bit 'don't care' they are big blokes bashing into each other and wrestling around the ground Ballandene got shown up a few times last year 1 on 1 where he was out manoeuvred and tossed aside. But again he is a big bloke and it take time to get size onto the frame and with a bit more bulk this could easily change. I'd like to see Ballandene get some games this year, in open play he is a great link man and deadly with that boot. I think he will need a few games in a row to get used of the pace but I'm glad he is on the list and wish him well this season.
McStays field kicking is pretty good I thought. How much better is Ballenden?

McStays field kicking is pretty good I thought. How much better is Ballenden?

Ballenden is a seriously impressive field kick for his size. McStay is too when he's not thinking about it, but Ballenden is more consistent in that area from what I've seen of both. They have different strengths as KPFs though. Ballenden is a lead up forward with great hands and a very nice kick. He can also jump in the ruck when needed and float down back. Like a bigger Gunston.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back