Remove this Banner Ad

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
You traded your 1st to gain points advantage.

You also traded out, managed a bid then traded back in with help from the Eagles.

And this year you landed pick 3 with later rubbish plus landed McDondald.

Swans are miles ahead of many others.
When it come to trade Eagles and Swan just used each other not help .

Koutamightafides

All Australian
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
So many experts on the most uncertain draft in history. And this Daicos kid would want to live up to wraps, did he actually play any footy this year. Seen so many top rated 17yo's slide it's not funny. Remember when Ben Silvagni was gonna be the answer to Carlton's fwd line? LOL.
Not really considering Ben Silvagni was and always will be a defender , don't let the truth get in the way of a good story though !

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Did you really.?

Well actually you didnt.

Look until the muppets at AFL House change the rules again no one will get 1st or 2nd round talent cheap anymore.

Lucky for the Swans and others they cashed in whilst they could. Too bad for all the other sides who missed out.

McInness to the Pies because his mum was Phillipino was a dead set joke.

Same with the half Chinese kid and Hawthorn. Kids born is Australia with Australian fathers WTF?

Just a amature set up to provide loop holes for clubs to exploit.
Have to agree, nga picks because a players mum is Chinese or Filipino is a joke. Maybe one day we will see a draft that is not compromised in such a way.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Nah, I think they both have a place but definitely need to be re-jigged. Matching restricted FA offers is a common practice in sports with FA systems.

I like what the MLB use (if they haven't changed it in the last couple of years), where the team that signs an FA over $x loses their first round draft pick and the team that loses the restricted free agent then receives a pick in a supplementary round at the end of the first round. I'd like to see somethign like that in the AFL. Then picks aren't created out of nowhere, which in the current system is something that seriously disadvantages other teams that have nothign to do with the deal. Other teams shouldn't be punished because one team signs a free agent.

EDIT: You could scale it for each round too. Say, for example, a team that signs a restricted FA over 700k loses their first round pick, and the team that loses the restricted FA gets a pick in the supplementary round. A team that signs an FA for between 500k-700k loses their 2nd pick and the team that loses the FA gets a pick in a supplementary round after the 2nd round, etc. It's a system that's so much fairer on every club.
I’m not exactly sure how it works in MLB but it must be more complex then simply first or second round type stuff because that would significantly favour the clubs higher on the ladder.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Will Cox actually play as a defender though? He could end up as a winger and Reid a forward. I suppose broadly essendon felt they had to take the talls as best available with an eye on next year being a better draft for non talls.

Apparently Rutten envisions Cox as a forward. Personally I think both their skill sets look most valuable down back. Would prefer we settle them than do what we did with Hooker, Carlisle and Hurley and throw them end to end until one leaves.

I get it with the lack of talls next year, I’m just ******* sick of not having a midfield. It’s been 16-17 years. You can get by without talls, you can’t get by with talls and no midfield.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Plus we already have an L McDonald on the list. Two would be confusing.

That is the gold standard content I come here to see.

Yeah, there seems to be two camps - the next coming of Jesus Christ, and yeah, nah.

Figured you'd want a marquee young forward is all.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m not exactly sure how it works in MLB but it must be more complex then simply first or second round type stuff because that would significantly favour the clubs higher on the ladder.
How so?

It makes it a risk vs reward thing for clubs too, knowing that they might be giving up on a long-term player in order to pursue short-term success. Along with the current rules, where clubs have to take 2 first round picks in a four year period, it also forces clubs to be more discerning of who they pursue and when, which might provide opportunities for slightly weaker clubs to sign FAs.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
How so?

It makes it a risk vs reward thing for clubs too, knowing that they might be giving up on a long-term player in order to pursue short-term success. Along with the current rules, where clubs have to take 2 first round picks in a four year period, it also forces clubs to be more discerning of who they pursue and when, which might provide opportunities for slightly weaker clubs to sign FAs.
Because the way you explained it then if the bottom side recruits a gun FA from the top side they would give up pick 1 and the top side would get pick 19 as compo. If you reverse the situation the top side would give up pick 18 and the bottom side would also get pick 19 as compo. There has to be more to that system as it literally costs lower clubs more then top clubs to get a FA

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
You're not alone, apparently we ruined the draft for everyone.

If Phillips could kick like Campbell or Hollands he would have been so far in front for pick 1 this year it isn't funny. As it is he will probably end up being among the best players of this draft for a decade at least, barring some unforseen calamity. McDonald seems okay but how many times did he get the
1607845018667.png

Really !!! Phillips you think would be so far infront of this guy ?

And i get what you are saying but since last year when JUH was touted as being bid on at 1 and matched by the Dogs immediately every single draft conversation has been about who takes the first available player.

Its okay to be semantically pedantic tho.

I wonder if we would have copped it if we took mids? I’m guessing yes.

“Hurley and Hooker are about to retire and you just lost Joe, crazy doodoo at it again!!!”
Didn’t you get two academy talls, plus Wright, plus Jones last year? I think the question of why you took those two extra talls in addition to those guys is warranted.

38 goals in your first year isnt something to sneeze at.
If you go back and check his forward pressure numbers from the first two years they’re actually very good. People have goldfish memories here, if he gets his s**t together and starts reproducing his 2018/19 work rate then North will have gotten the bargain of the decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Because the way you explained it then if the bottom side recruits a gun FA from the top side they would give up pick 1 and the top side would get pick 19 as compo. If you reverse the situation the top side would give up pick 18 and the bottom side would also get pick 19 as compo. There has to be more to that system as it literally costs lower clubs more then top clubs to get a FA
Yeah, if they're paying them over X amount of money, then that's how it would work. But in reality how often does that actually happen? Clubs would be required to balance the need for a FA against the risk of giving up their draft picks. It also, and this is the most important point, doesn't affect teams that have nothing to do with the deal by inventing picks to give teams as compensation.

Swan4Life

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Lol is that your gauge for rating players under 25, that haven’t reached their peak?

Heeney is close to your best player and will be in time.

Mills is getting better and better each year. He is consistent, reliable and would be in your top handful of players.

Blakey is only 2 years in, but looks an incredible talent. I don’t even want to get started on the rort that you had access to a F/S.

Campbell was obviously just drafted and is highly rated. He is rated as the top 1-2 genuine mids in this draft.

Good on you guys for having access to such high quality talent, but let’s not pretend it isn’t a massive advantage.

It is an advantage to the northern state clubs drafting an academy kid, no doubt about it.

It is a disadvantage to the northern clubs drafting an interstate kid due to the go home factor, no doubt about it.

Swings and roundabouts.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah, if they're paying them over X amount of money, then that's how it would work. But in reality how often does that actually happen? Clubs would be required to balance the need for a FA against the risk of giving up their draft picks. It also, and this is the most important point, doesn't affect teams that have nothing to do with the deal by inventing picks to give teams as compensation.
The current system is ridiculous but you don’t introduce a new one where the best teams benefit more then the bottom sides. You need a system where the opposite happens.

Just spit balling but first thing they should do is get rid of the ability to match,

secondly they should get rid of band two compo (if the team is low on the ladder there is little difference between band two and 3 but there is a huge difference for the top sides)

Thirdly and this one needs a heap of work, maybe the side who gets the player pays in points the amount of compo the other side gets. This means a top side getting a player from the bottom side has to pay say ~2500 points if they are band one (to the league) while a bottom side poaching off a top side has to pay say ~1000 for a band 1 compo. Maybe they can pay/give up those points anyway they can over say a 2 year period. They probably should still have to use the same number of picks in the draft as they use on points matching the compo.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It is an advantage to the northern state clubs drafting an academy kid, no doubt about it.

It is a disadvantage to the northern clubs drafting an interstate kid due to the go home factor, no doubt about it.

Swings and roundabouts.

Yep. Despite how awful Carlton were in previous years they never had the player exodus that Brisbane had, Gold Coast had or GWS has, and GWS are not even awful on the field and yet they lose quality players every single year.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Swings and roundabouts.

How often do Sydney lose players to go home factor? I can’t think of anyone of note in recent history.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
How often do Sydney lose players to go home factor? I can’t think of anyone of note in recent history.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In recent times, off the top of my head...

Zac Jones
Dan Hannebery
Tom Mitchell
Tim Membrey
Nic Newman
Lewis Jetta

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
In the times, off the top of my head...

Zac Jones
Dan Hannebery
Tom Mitchell
Tim Membrey
Nic Newman
Lewis Jetta

Nankervis too, but I don't consider that a huge loss.

In the times, off the top of my head...

Zac Jones
Dan Hannebery
Tom Mitchell
Tim Membrey
Nic Newman
Lewis Jetta
Pretty sure we said see ya later Hanners and membrey wanted more opportunities , Mitchell was offered peanuts and didn't get along with Longmire

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I think it's weird that you didn't take any mid's that you desperately need also.
As long as Essendon is happy and it's ok with Mrs Perkins, all is good :thumbsupv1:

It’s weird that people continue to overlook the fact that no kids suitably rated for this supposed inside mid role were over looked.

Bruhn is the same as what we already have so happy to pass.

Also, worth noting that Hooker and Hurley are both 30, Ambrose closing in on it and hardly playing whilst our only U25 KPD Brandon Zerk Thatcher still has question marks.

So yeah, very happy to take a KPP, a fwd/mid and a tall running utility with our three top 10 selections.

As has been noted, next years draft is supposedly littered with quality mids, happy to overlook mids in 2020 and have a better look in 2021.

After all that, we also brought in June Caldwell and a bargain basement role player in Peter Wright for virtually nothing.

Not saying we have rebooted and will come back quickly, we have taken the long bow here and it could very well help by 2024 but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back