Memberships 2020 St.Kilda Membership Thread (FINAL TALLY - 48,775)

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting conversation.

Have working in a membership organisation for 15 years with a membership north of 170, 000.

Some statements on here are wildly inaccurate and so ignorant.

My organisation is one that is not 1 tenth as volatile as a footy club and even with that we had a drop in membership a few years back because of perceived performance.

With every membership organisation it is about member experience and competitive advantage.
We have few competitors, the Saints have 8 others in this city alone.

Member experience is not just game day. The competition means were are in an arms race with the other clubs for member experience and membership packs are an unfortunate race to the bottom. Can you imagine we stopped them to 'save money'? There would be a perception of being a 'pauper' club and it would feed into the already negative perception of the Saints.

George is correct, the merch is produced long before memberships are renewed.

Imaging we produce merch for 40k members and we have a big influx and run out. The member experience for the new member is less than required, bearing in mind many new members are young and there are 8 other Melbourne clubs alone vying for their support and $$$.

Surveys are an indicator but even in our org we are rejoicing as our response to our member survey went from 5 to 8% of the total membership. It is a small sample and is not indicative in many cases.

The merch cost is not 'wasted' it is a cost of business in a competitive an unique environment.

I could go on about member organisations and their workings for another 5000 word but basically the arguments in the above posts are simplistic and ignorant of the unique environment membership organisations in general and AFL football clubs in particular operate in.

Easy to see a number and yell waste when the rationale and implementation of a complex business strategy is extremely complex and anything but easy.
Interesting. I can’t believe people can’t their head around opting in this day and age when the environment is so important. If you can survey 3000 people and get an election right you can survey members and get the opt close enough. I reckon our club would get a huge tick promoting that we aren’t going to give everyone a pack even if they didn’t want it. It would look great in this day and age. People who want the stuff tick a box. Not hard not skimping. Just common sense. Just because it was done one way in the past doesn’t make it right now. That’s simple and ignorant. As for the packs being made long before membership renewal well what has that got to do with anything. We can do the opt in survey the previous year. You could easily say what if we won the flag and an extra 25k joined but we only made 50k packages based on previous history. I don’t need to be in the membership area to use common sense. Save money help the environment

Last edited:

I dont think giving merch to disadvantaged people is a bad thing.

It's good idea but it gets left all around the park where the homeless sleep. The Sacred Heart mission get heaps to sell but no-one buys it once it has a date stamp on it. They just have to pay to dump it. It's not a selling point for your club when the people who smell like piss on trams are in Saints merch. It's a lovely sentiment but it's more to make us feel better about waste.

It's good idea but it gets left all around the park where the homeless sleep. The Sacred Heart mission get heaps to sell but no-one buys it once it has a date stamp on it. They just have to pay to dump it. It's not a selling point for your club when the people who smell like piss on trams are in Saints merch. It's a lovely sentiment but it's more to make us feel better about waste.
Are you saying it's not a good look seeing homeless people in St.Kilda merchandise or are you saying in general it's a waste.

Because I don't think many people see a homeless person in a clubs merchandise and think 's**t that club must be bad'. I personally don't even notice.

Interesting. I can’t believe people can’t their head around opting in this day and age when the environment is so important. If you can survey 3000 people and get an election right you can survey members and get the opt close enough. I reckon our club would get a huge tick promoting that we aren’t going to give everyone a pack even if they didn’t want it. It would look great in this day and age. People who want the stuff tick a box. Not hard not skimping. Just common sense. Just because it was done one way in the past doesn’t make it right now. That’s simple and ignorant. As for the packs being made long before membership renewal well what has that got to do with anything. We can do the opt in survey the previous year. You could easily say what if we won the flag and an extra 25k joined but we only made 50k packages based on previous history. I don’t need to be in the membership area to use common sense. Save money help the environment
i cant believe you are still banging on about this after it has been clearly explained to you by 4 seperate people who have a far superior knowledge on the matter ... its not a hard concept to grasp why the club do the membership package the way they do them .. is it perfect of course not but you will never please everyone on the matter, the club have listened to the members who have told them not to bother sending stuff and they have implemented a few ways to limit the waste while still maintining their orders with supliers and keeping the members who do want the stuff happy .. if you are that worried aabout the cost of it for yourself fine chuck $10 as a donation to the club that should cover you and a couple other peoples membership pack merch costs

So after all the s**t you gave me, you're not a member?
He is a member, congratulations to you and ALL the non Vic members, even the non Melb members.
You guys get little in the way of value compared to us but you give your hard earned.
Hats off to you guys, you are the essence of loyalty.
And don't worry about dropping your membership in the past, don't blame you in the slightest.

Are you saying it's not a good look seeing homeless people in St.Kilda merchandise or are you saying in general it's a waste.

Because I don't think many people see a homeless person in a clubs merchandise and think 's**t that club must be bad'. I personally don't even notice.
agree i just see it as something keeping someone warm ... its not a bad advert for the club especially when its know that its donated to them for that purpose of keeping them warm ....

i remember a friend of mine commenting one day when we were watching the news and this guy accused of Rape was filmed being rushed into the cop car wearing an Essendon members polo that it was a bad look for the club .. really it isnt its not the club endorsing the bloke its just a polo shirt

He is a member, congratulations to you and ALL the non Vic members, even the non Melb members.
You guys get little in the way of value compared to us but you give your hard earned.
And don't worry about dropping your membership in the past, don't blame you in the slightest.
glad to have StC back in the fold !!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive always said interstate, country and internationals are the best members. Get to see bugger all games so it is a donation. Its funny watching people turn if someone dares suggest they arent quite correct. They will go back to their biggest enemies to win points. Gives a great incite into today society. Makes me ove this place sometimes.

well they are the most inept generation in history...
Sorry, do you mean the generation who worked their asses off all their lives to give their kids everything they didn't have when they grew up?

agree i just see it as something keeping someone warm ... its not a bad advert for the club especially when its know that its donated to them for that purpose of keeping them warm ....

i remember a friend of mine commenting one day when we were watching the news and this guy accused of Rape was filmed being rushed into the cop car wearing an Essendon members polo that it was a bad look for the club .. really it isnt its not the club endorsing the bloke its just a polo shirt
That's exactly how I feel...I think people are smart enough to separate the two!

Sorry, do you mean the generation who worked their asses off all their lives to give their kids everything they didn't have when they grew up?
IMG_1616.jpg

knew i would get one !!! :) ;)

So because I mow lawns I dont have knowledge on some subjects. Haha. employment snob now. Add it to my list.
You don't have the knowledge of how a membership organisation actually operates, you are ignorant of what goes in to the outcomes.
I would say after working in a member organisation for 15 years I would have better more insightful knowledge on the subject than many including you.

Now this is not a pissing contest, it is a statement of fact. For example we have a gardener who has done wonders on our shitty basalt plain soil. He is an awesome gardener and I would be loathe to tell him how to do his job and how easy it is for him to do it better. It is his areas of expertise, just because I watched gardening Australia once or twice doesn't mean I know more than him about his area of expertise. I listen and learn from him not tell him from a base of ignorance.

Would I like my gardener to run my 170 million dollar organisation because he thinks we are 'wasting' money?

I agree with your opinion on waste and environment. Unfortunately that is the nature of capitalism, the market and competitive advantage. If you want to change waste you need to change the economic system.

Agreed. Just out of interest I gather AFL members with Saints support would be counted by now as they have deducted it from my account?
I think so mate. Saints deduct on the 15th of each month but pretty sure that's direct Saints memberships.

You don't have the knowledge of how a membership organisation actually operates, you are ignorant of what goes in to the outcomes.
I would say after working in a member organisation for 15 years I would have better more insightful knowledge on the subject than many including you.

Now this is not a pissing contest, it is a statement of fact. For example we have a gardener who has done wonders on our shitty basalt plain soil. He is an awesome gardener and I would be loathe to tell him how to do his job and how easy it is for him to do it better. It is his areas of expertise, just because I watched gardening Australia once or twice doesn't mean I know more than him about his area of expertise. I listen and learn from him not tell him from a base of ignorance.

Would I like my gardener to run my 170 million dollar organisation because he thinks we are 'wasting' money?

I agree with your opinion on waste and environment. Unfortunately that is the nature of capitalism, the market and competitive advantage. If you want to change waste you need to change the economic system.

Seriously do you honestly think ive been a lawn mower man all my life. You like me have no knowledge of our abilities or what we know on subjects. We could all be lying with what we do and have done. And im certainly not a gardener. I mow lawns.

Seriously do you honestly think ive been a lawn mower man all my life. You like me have no knowledge of our abilities or what we know on subjects. We could all be lying with what we do and have done. And im certainly not a gardener. I mow lawns.
from the information you post on this subject you either have zero knowledge and in experiance in this space or the reason you are now mowing lawns is beacuse of your thought process on the matter ...
im pretty much an open book on my insight on this matter i am the president of the WA supporters group of this great club so with that things such as membership is something that very much interests me and im always incontact with the club over , it is the basis of 90% of the content of my meetings with the club as i am elected to represent the WA membership to the club. just accept that you are off the mark with this and lets move on

IMG_1616.jpg

knew i would get one !!! :) ;)
Funny. Sick of the Boomer bashing to be honest and I'm not even a Boomer by the way. Maybe think about what the Govt hasn't done in terms of water infrastructure over several decades.

Don't forget to tell your parents you don't want any inheritance and your happy for them to donate the lot to a worthwhile charity.

Last edited:
from the information you post on this subject you either have zero knowledge and in experiance in this space or the reason you are now mowing lawns is beacuse of your thought process on the matter ...
im pretty much an open book on my insight on this matter i am the president of the WA supporters group of this great club so with that things such as membership is something that very much interests me and im always incontact with the club over , it is the basis of 90% of the content of my meetings with the club as i am elected to represent the WA membership to the club. just accept that you are off the mark with this and lets move on

No I don't think so. Signed flog99%

Funny. Sick of the Boomer bashing to be honest and I'm not even a Boomer by the way. Maybe think about what the Govt hasn't fine in terms of water infrastructure over several decades.

Don't forget to tell your parents you don't want any inheritance and your happy for them to donate the lot to a worthwhile charity.

I honestly don't understand what the baby boomers did wrong. I am one but just. and so are most of my mates. All employed, all own their own house, all have kids. Seems like a bloody good generation to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back