2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hurn is out of contract at the end of this year. Not sure how he's set up in Perth or if he's even looking for a career in football when he retires from playing. However he seems on face value like he'd be a worth while target.

Not sure if you'd want him on a 1 year playing contract moving into coaching though. We seem to have a plethora of young defenders who are going to need game time.
He'd be a great get, and one year playing would do so much for the young players on field.

The GWS first rounder we have trade back to them for Hately
Then we just take (or match bids) on Edwards, Borlase and Newchurch

Draft haul =
Holllands - mid

Thrilthorpe - key fwd/ruck

Edwards - mid

Borlase- utility

Newchurch - small forward.

🤞🤞 happy days

Move on Atkins, Lynch and one of Smith/Laird

Gives more picks to look at moving up the order

Players I’d target from other clubs who’d be attainable either not getting a game or senior player transitioning into coaching , or a big offer $$ wise

Coleman-Jones
Caldwell
Hurn
Dunstan
Petrevski-Seton
Menegola
Mitch Duncan
Valente
Salem
Viney
Hayward
Hewett
Parker

5AA after match yesterday was all how crap our list is from Rowey and Bucks..

YEAH NO s**t!

That's what happens when good players walk and we get bent over and take whatever.
It's absolutely unforgivable that we have such a bad list given the caliber of players that have left and we have got basically nothing for.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...how is Kyle Hartigan a RESTRICTED free agent?
I asked that too. Apparently the list comes from footywire, which is dodgy as ****. Apparently he's listed as a UFA on AFL media releases, which makes a lot more sense.

I asked that too. Apparently the list comes from footywire, which is dodgy as ****. Apparently he's listed as a UFA on AFL media releases, which makes a lot more sense.
I assume the same goes for Atkins

5AA after match yesterday was all how crap our list is from Rowey and Bucks..

YEAH NO sh*t!

That's what happens when good players walk and we get bent over and take whatever.
It's absolutely unforgivable that we have such a bad list given the caliber of players that have left and we have got basically nothing for.
Probably not helped by the fact that none of our draftees from the last 3 years have played 20 games yet.

It's hard to be good AFL players if you don't play AFL

Probably not helped by the fact that none of our draftees from the last 3 years have played 20 games yet.

It's hard to be good AFL players if you don't play AFL
Fair call,

Even at SANFL level if a kid has something it shows straight away, yeah sure we might have some ok players coming through but that does not stack up to what has walked by a long way.

Fair call,

Even at SANFL level if a kid has something it shows straight away, yeah sure we might have some ok players coming through but that does not stack up to what has walked by a long way.
Again, but when your go tosanfl mids are CEY, Wilson and Douglas, again, it's hard to show much.

Polholke has been very good in the sanfl, but hardly been given a chance

Tough choices ahead. List sizes will make a huge impact.
Let's assume list sizes arent cut for argument sake and AFL wants a legit seconds team to be able to play each week.

Assume GWS finish 7th. And Dogs 10th.

I'd let Brad and Atkins walk to get the band one compo.
Trade Laird to Hawks for their first rounder.
Use pick 39 to match Newchurch.
Picks 52 onwards for Borlase.
Sydney likely to have pick 6? Go hard at that pick because their NGA player may well be above that pick and they will want to trade for points. Say pick 6 for Picks 16 and 21.
Use Dogs pick 28 as Luke Edwards points.

In: Pick 1 (Phillips), Pick 2 (Thilthorpe), Pick 6 (Hollands), Pick 12 (Poulter/mid/HF), Edwards, Newchurch, Borlase, Keays
8 senior list upgrades.

Out: Crouch, Knight, Atkins, Hartigan, Laird, Himmelburg, Wilson, Strachan, Mackay, Davis
8 senior list delisted, 2 rookie delisted.

Yes we lose experience in Laird, Crouch and Atkins.
But we gain so much potential long term.

1990crow - where did you have all the picks finishing before trading?

Maybe do your delistings so you know how many list spots, THEN have the draft picks those delistings get you, then do trades? Just so we can follow your process.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free Agents - Brad Crouch for first round compo (pick 2), Rory Atkins for end of 2nd round compo (pick 38).

List numbers stay the same.

Delist/Retire
David Mackay
Kieran Strachan
Kyle Hartigan
Patrick Wilson
Riley Knight
Elliott Himmelberg
Jordan Gallucci (rookie)

Re-sign
Tyson Stengle
Myles Poholke

Re-rookie
Ayce Taylor
Ben Keays
Ben Crocker

Eight off the main list.

Picks before trading:
1, 2, 9, 20, 25, 38, 39, 51 (72, 74 currently unused)

Trade Rory Laird to Hawthorn for pick 16
Trade Bryce Gibbs and our fourth (72) to Carlton for their 3rd (pick 44) (if you think this is dumb, ignore it)

Picks after trading players out:
1, 2, 9, 16, 20, 25, 38, 39, 44, 51.

16 and 25 and 2021 3rd to Geelong for 11 and 32.
20 to GWS for Jackson Hately.
51 to Freo for Luke Valente.

Take to the draft
1, 2, 9, 11

for points for Edwards, Newchurch, Borlase
32, 38 39, 44

Players in:

4 top 11 picks, Hately, Edwards, Valente, Newchurch, Borlase, delisted free agent.

Last edited:
Trade Rory Laird to Hawthorn for pick 16
Trade Bryce Gibbs and our fourth (72) to Carlton for their 3rd (pick 44)

Not sure if you're serious about those 2.

We'd be lucky to get a pick in the 20's for Laird, and wasn't the whole point in Gibbs coming here to get back to S.A?

Also, we'd have to pay 90% of his salary anyway, so why not just delist and pay his last year out? Or just leave him in the 2s.

I assume those suggesting us get Hurn haven't watched WCE play the past 3 weeks? He's been dreadful.

Also think it would be crazy to push Tex out, he still has it if given half a chance. Would love to see him go hard on his pre season but if/when the time comes for him to play in the seconds, would be great leadership to have.

Sloane vs Crouches

Points scored from individual player clearances

Sloane - 37 points from 22 clearances
MCrouch - 0 points from 15 clearances
BCrouch - 0 points from 20 clearances

According to https://twitter.com/StatosphereAFL

Are clearances first touch out of the ruck? Like I know I saw Jones get it, handball to Brad who had the inside 50 delivery to Tex which resulted in a score. No big issues with that.

If it's first touch, probably doesn't help that Brad mainly goes to Matt (on the rare times they get it) and he does nothing with it.

I assume those suggesting us get Hurn haven't watched WCE play the past 3 weeks? He's been dreadful.

Also think it would be crazy to push Tex out, he still has it if given half a chance. Would love to see him go hard on his pre season but if/when the time comes for him to play in the seconds, would be great leadership to have.

It's looking more for a leader who can set standards, and transition into coaching, moreso than actually looking for a player to make our best 22 better.

Considering how little we can trust our senior players after the few years, it's probably a worthwhile move.

It's looking more for a leader who can set standards, and transition into coaching, moreso than actually looking for a player to make our best 22 better.

Considering how little we can trust our senior players after the few years, it's probably a worthwhile move.
Maybe I'm underrating Hurn's skill set but he doesn't scream that to me.

He's never come across as a super athletic guy who dominates off the track so I wouldn't see him leading from the front but maybe he's still capable of calling others out. He also doesn't come across as a Hodge type who plays a hard/rough game where others around him walk taller.

He's got an elite leg and seems really level headed but not sure he's that standard setter like Hodge was for Brisbane. Don't get me wrong, he is the captain of the club that's been very successful but I'm just not sure he's worth a position on the playing list.

Maybe I'm underrating Hurn's skill set but he doesn't scream that to me.

He's never come across as a super athletic guy who dominates off the track so I wouldn't see him leading from the front but maybe he's still capable of calling others out. He also doesn't come across as a Hodge type who plays a hard/rough game where others around him walk taller.

He's got an elite leg and seems really level headed but not sure he's that standard setter like Hodge was for Brisbane. Don't get me wrong, he is the captain of the club that's been very successful but I'm just not sure he's worth a position on the playing list.
There’s only one Luke Hodge

GWS supported their early team with a variety of cooked seniors like James McDonald Luke Power Chad Cornes, there was a whole squad of them. But it helped that they had 1.5 million list places.

It’s definitely a card to be played judiciously

Not sure if you're serious about those 2.

We'd be lucky to get a pick in the 20's for Laird, and wasn't the whole point in Gibbs coming here to get back to S.A?

Also, we'd have to pay 90% of his salary anyway, so why not just delist and pay his last year out? Or just leave him in the 2s.
Not particularly serious about Gibbs - but that was the idea that was posted on Fox Footy this weekend.

We absolutely would get a late first for Laird.

Form is temporary but class is permanent. Laird is incredibly highly rated in Victoria, who think his current form slump is because he is at a s**t club. A good operator like Hawthorn or Geelong or Sydney would absolutely give up a late first for a multiple All Australian and B&F winner, knowing that he'd be much better with them than he is with us.

Not particularly serious about Gibbs - but that was the idea that was posted on Fox Footy this weekend.

We absolutely would get a late first for Laird.

Form is temporary but class is permanent. Laird is incredibly highly rated in Victoria, who think his current form slump is because he is at a sh*t club. A good operator like Hawthorn or Geelong or Sydney would absolutely give up a late first for a multiple All Australian and B&F winner, knowing that he'd be much better with them than he is with us.

Sydney have the equivalent of Laird already (Lloyd). They are actually pretty savage on him on their board.

There’s only one Luke Hodge

GWS supported their early team with a variety of cooked seniors like James McDonald Luke Power Chad Cornes, there was a whole squad of them. But it helped that they had 1.5 million list places.

It’s definitely a card to be played judiciously
Yeah the difference for me of where we're at v Brisbane and GWS is that we're not without experienced players on our list. Our captain is meant to be around for another 4 odd years. Got guys like Talia out there too so it's not like we're starved for the leadership that these two teams were.

Now you could argue that the standard isn't set high enough which I won't disagree with, but I feel we're in a different situation to those two teams where they were really missing that older wise head. A new one coming to our club would likely compete with a number of voices unless we move them out.

Think our coaches have to help push this too and if there's anything to gain from this year, it's that there's going to be some assistant coaches without a job and hopefully we've got our eyes open at bringing some strong figures into the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back