List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will need to add quite a few to that list if the list numbers are to be cut substantially. There will be some very tough choices. It will be nasty Brown, Geary definitely finish up but players like Carlisle and Savage may go from earning a lot to not playing at all.

Then having to decide between Parker, Hind, Lonie, Paton, Bytel Langlands Phillips etc Clav, Austen Joyce etc etc all based on very little game time.

Cutting the list is a dumb idea.
Even if they allowed them to stay on the list "if they wanted to" and only get paid if they got a game would be better.
Does it really cost the club a lot more to have a few more at training.

Rucks: 5. Marshall - Main. Ryder - Main ,but will retire this year or next. Abbott - Very good depth. Alabakis and Bell - Prospective.
If the first three go down , i'd rather play Howard in the ruck than Alabakis, but its decent depth.
Unfortunately we won't know how Alabakis is going by the end of the year.

KPD: Brown - retiring soon. Howard. Carlisle. Joyce Clavarino - as per Alabakis no way to evaluate him.
I'm happy that we have enough.

We had good reports about Jack Mayo, but he won't be playing footy this year.
These sorts of players will be the hardest hit.
There is almost a case to suggest that the AFL should allow extended rookie lists for 2021 , so that those who had a chance, can have an opportunity to stake their claim.

Mayo : Recruited 2019 mid-season. Performed well forward, and on a wing in VFL. May well be de-listed at end of year.
Austen : Struggled with injury, won't get a chance to prove whether he can
Alabakis : I guess the club should know from training if he is getting better.
Joyce : Has talent but needs to develop his skills, won't have opportunity.
McKenzie : Might as well quit now.
Nice writeup SS! Though your options for poor old Dan Mckenzie seem a bit limited!
Jobseeker perhaps!

You will need to add quite a few to that list if the list numbers are to be cut substantially. There will be some very tough choices. It will be nasty Brown, Geary definitely finish up but players like Carlisle and Savage may go from earning a lot to not playing at all.

Then having to decide between Parker, Hind, Lonie, Paton, Bytel Langlands Phillips etc Clav, Austen Joyce etc etc all based on very little game time.
Agree with your point but absolutely noooo way does Paton belong anywhere near that list

He did say that as did Richo the year before so I can understand him backing in Steele, but I think 1 quarter of lock down footy wouldnt hurt or at least send someone else to him.
1 more straight kick and Ratts is a genius who held his nerve till the end.
As supporters we were all gutted but Ratts has big picture stuff to worry about.
He needs to find what's broken and who's not part of our future.
It's a difficult task and sometimes it might cost us a win, but it needs to be done.
Without knowing what's going on in the coaches box we can only take it on face value, and they decided to stick with their system instead of turning defensive.
It's not like they wouldn't have noticed what was happening, and the question of Steele to Cunners would have been asked.
Ratts stuck to his guns, and l think it was the right thing to do. Just the wrong result..

We'll see what they've all learned soon enough. .

Someone suggested that Paton shouldn't be on the list.
I'd suggest Bytel even more so.
Why on earth draft a highly rated kid, get his health right, then de-list him before finding out what he can do?

And I know Lonie has his haters, but i'd have him in the team ahead of Kent or Butler.

Agree with your point but absolutely noooo way does Paton belong anywhere near that list
Agree Paton is a keeper!
Think Clav, Austen and Ed Phillips would have to be on borrowed time!
And you would expect that Brown and Geary will most likely finish up come season's end!

As supporters we were all gutted but Ratts has big picture stuff to worry about.
It's a difficult task and sometimes it might cost us a win, but it needs to be done.
Without knowing what's going on in the coaches box we can only take it on face value, and they decided to stick with their system instead of turning defensive.
It's not like they wouldn't have noticed what was happening, and the question of Steele to Cunners would have been asked.
Ratts stuck to his guns, and l think it was the right thing to do. Just the wrong result..

Our system was defensive but without a tag. No idea if he should have tagged form the start but maybe the last quarter would have been a good idea.

Agree 90% of this bar the highlighted , no point being pig headed if something isnt working , you need adapt and change, sticking to your guns is no use if you loose the game

Agree 90% of this bar the highlighted , no point being pig headed if something isnt working , you need adapt and change, sticking to your guns is no use if you loose the game
Have you ever let your kids fail for the lesson they'd learn?
I've said it before, we lost that game from shitty kicking. There were other issues. But shitty kicking was the 1st, 2nd and 3rd..

Have you ever let your kids fail for the lesson they'd learn?
I've said it before, we lost that game from shitty kicking. There were other issues. But shitty kicking was the 1st, 2nd and 3rd..
As you said , More than just kicking and as for your first part , so your saying Ratts didn't make changes as he wanted to teach the players a lesson , Yeah good one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still think for now Gears is our best option for a hard tag! Though it robs us of our best defensive shutdown player!
Maybe Steele. As i see his midfield minutes limited for what he offers us as an attacking force!

As you said , More than just kicking and as for your first part , so your saying Ratts didn't make changes as he wanted to teach the players a lesson , Yeah good one
No I'm saying he backed his system win, lose or draw.
The loss has exposed issues that need fixing and the players will hopefully learn from it.
It's really not that hard a concept. ..

Someone suggested that Paton shouldn't be on the list.
I'd suggest Bytel even more so.
Why on earth draft a highly rated kid, get his health right, then de-list him before finding out what he can do?

And I know Lonie has his haters, but i'd have him in the team ahead of Kent or Butler.

Agree Paton is a keeper!
Think Clav, Austen and Ed Phillips would have to be on borrowed time!
And you would expect that Brown and Geary will most likely finish up come season's end!
This is what I mean by hard decisions - if it did happen (35 players on a list) then there will be a myriad of other players cut from other clubs who then become available for us to consider.

Paton maybe top 35 for us but that doesn't mean he's top 35 in every other club.

This is what I mean by hard decisions - if it did happen (35 players on a list) then there will be a myriad of other players cut from other clubs who then become available for us to consider.

Paton maybe top 35 for us but that doesn't mean he's top 35 in every other club.
It's not going straight to 35 in a single year.
Even when it does come, word on the main board is that clubs will be able to contract players to their state league affiliates.
The AFL is looking to cut the cap but is obviously hamstrung by the CBA and existing contracts, so pushing the fringe players off the roster is the only immediately controllable action.

I can imagine that if lists are cut to 35, clubs can still proxy-list up to 8 or 10 players who will be allowed to train with the main list, but would receive match payments only, (possibly out of the club's pockets).

This will hurt the poor clubs the most, but such is our lot.

From our list, Abbott, Jack Bell, Gears and Brownie could all be listed by Sandy, since in theory we'd like that they wouldn't get a game next year.

After that, Ryder and Dmac won't see another contact, and time will be called on the likes of Philips, Austin, Clav, Langlands, Savage, Kent etc..

It will probably be less tumultuous than people think. The biggest effects will be on post 2nd round draftees who'll no longer be afforded time to develop and will have to come in as over-agers having developed in the state leagues.

I think Steele should have had the brains to think hay this guy is getting a bit of steam up here I might just put the breaks on him for a bit. This is what we lack leadership and maturity
I'll give Ratts a break about not tagging Cunners. They wanted to let Steele off the leash this year so backtracking on that in the first game would have been unpalatable.

On INE-LX2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back