Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

101409835_3264041876953254_2684661499837808640_o.jpg

MrsEddieBetts :p

interesting comments from jack russel about gibbons endurance though

He seems to be able to run all day, he's not slow but in terms of the top small forwards he's not in that bracket. Same with his kicking, it's not bad but it's not damaging.

That would be quite a surprise, would think there are others in front of him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Not sure if Philp making our AFL side anytime soon is a huge win because we might have found a gun young player, or a sad indictment on a lot of our other players.

I mean Walsh came straight in and excelled but he's a freak and no.1 pick.

If Philp immediately overtakes the likes of Dow/LOB for a midfield spot...well honestly Dow/LOB should be doing better as top 10 picks with 2 years on Philp.
We have acquired so much high draft pick talent over the last 5 years that I feel these players should be performing to a standard they don't let a Philp immediately overtake them.

He seems to be able to run all day, he's not slow but in terms of the top small forwards he's not in that bracket. Same with his kicking, it's not bad but it's not damaging.

He's not a small forward at all so not sure why you're comparing him to that category.

I'd argue from what i've seen Gibbons is actually a pretty good kick, and is able to kick off both feet which is handy.

Not sure if Philp making our AFL side anytime soon is a huge win because we might have found a gun young player, or a sad indictment on a lot of our other players.

I mean Walsh came straight in and excelled but he's a freak and no.1 pick.

If Philp immediately overtakes the likes of Dow/LOB for a midfield spot...well honestly Dow/LOB should be doing better as top 10 picks with 2 years on Philp.
We have acquired so much high draft pick talent over the last 5 years that I feel these players should be performing to a standard they don't let a Philp immediately overtake them.
Agreed. The positive is that we’ve continued going to the draft looking for midfielders in the past two years. If Dow, O’Brien etc, don’t come on as we hoped, then let’s give opportunities to Philp, Stocker, Ramsay etc who might end up being great for us down the line. I still hold out hope for Dow and O’Brien but it’s time for them to start stepping up. In saying that, the 2017 draft as a whole is looking very shaky so it might just be bad luck that we ended up with two top 10 picks in that draft rather than the year before or after.

Agreed. The positive is that we’ve continued going to the draft looking for midfielders in the past two years. If Dow, O’Brien etc, don’t come on as we hoped, then let’s give opportunities to Philp, Stocker, Ramsay etc who might end up being great for us down the line. I still hold out hope for Dow and O’Brien but it’s time for them to start stepping up. In saying that, the 2017 draft as a whole is looking very shaky so it might just be bad luck that we ended up with two top 10 picks in that draft rather than the year before or after.

True.

Bottom line is we've invested heavily in high draft pick mids and not all of them will make it...we can't even fit them all into one team if they were all playing well.

I guess now is that time of seeing which mids stand up and we persist with, and over the next few years it's likely some will be let go/want to move for greater opportunity. Geez it's a pretty big hit to a player's career if he finds himself out of the AFL team with no VFL to develop and press their case...if Dow & LOB for example miss out it's basically a year of development missed.

True.

Bottom line is we've invested heavily in high draft pick mids and not all of them will make it...we can't even fit them all into one team if they were all playing well.

I guess now is that time of seeing which mids stand up and we persist with, and over the next few years it's likely some will be let go/want to move for greater opportunity. Geez it's a pretty big hit to a player's career if he finds himself out of the AFL team with no VFL to develop and press their case...if Dow & LOB for example miss out it's basically a year of development missed.

Surely at a minimum the clubs will run a few practice games amongst themselves to keep the non-22 fit and ready.

Surely at a minimum the clubs will run a few practice games amongst themselves to keep the non-22 fit and ready.
I have heard talk of 14 a side games but the AFL is apparently leaving it to the clubs to sort out amongst themselves. Bit hard to know what can be arranged until teams know what injuries they have, Doesn't take too many injuries to make it hard to field 14 players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have heard talk of 14 a side games but the AFL is apparently leaving it to the clubs to sort out amongst themselves. Bit hard to know what can be arranged until teams know what injuries they have, Doesn't take too many injuries to make it hard to field 14 players.
Brisbane and Richmond would be fine, most other clubs might struggle...

Really. Is that with or without Interchange?
Only two more players and we may have a glimpse into the future. 16 a side will happen.

Really. Is that with or without Interchange?
Only two more players and we may have a glimpse into the future. 16 a side will happen.
Not sure, I just saw it as basically 1 sentence in a broader article.

Not sure, I just saw it as basically 1 sentence in a broader article.
Yeah I think the proposal is fairly underdeveloped at this stage. It sounds like clubs want to try to play a 14 v 14 (or however many each side has fit) game against the team they play that weekend. So, for instance, we might try to organise a game against Melbourne next week for the players who don’t get selected at either club. However, I don’t think there’s really any structure to it so I suspect we won’t see these games every week due to some teams having too many injuries or just general logistical difficulties given the COVID restrictions. Hopefully we can get some meaningful game play into all players on the list for development purposes

Yeah I think the proposal is fairly underdeveloped at this stage. It sounds like clubs want to try to play a 14 v 14 (or however many each side has fit) game against the team they play that weekend. So, for instance, we might try to organise a game against Melbourne next week for the players who don’t get selected at either club. However, I don’t think there’s really any structure to it so I suspect we won’t see these games every week due to some teams having too many injuries or just general logistical difficulties given the COVID restrictions. Hopefully we can get some meaningful game play into all players on the list for development purposes
I doubt it will get to the stage they play against the team they play that week. I can't see the leftovers leaving the state and I think they would want the players mixing as little as possible. I think they will probably break into little groups and play amongst each other as much as possible. The Swans and Giants look like they will have the hardest time finding opposition.

I doubt it will get to the stage they play against the team they play that week. I can't see the leftovers leaving the state and I think they would want the players mixing as little as possible. I think they will probably break into little groups and play amongst each other as much as possible. The Swans and Giants look like they will have the hardest time finding opposition.
Yeah agreed. I meant to add that it will be the Victorian teams who will look to play a leftovers game against a fellow Victorian team when the two senior sides meet. No chance the leftovers travel interstate to play. In the end it’s probably going to be pretty haphazard, whichever teams have enough players and want to push through the difficulties of organising the game, will end up playing. In 16 weeks, I wouldn’t expect to see us playing more than 6-7 of these games. I suspect training, especially early in the week where the senior players are in recovery mode, might end up broken up a bit with the seniors doing less following a game and the reserves doing more contact and mini match simulation amongst themselves. Not ideal for development but there’s not a heap we can do about that

Yeah agreed. I meant to add that it will be the Victorian teams who will look to play a leftovers game against a fellow Victorian team when the two senior sides meet. No chance the leftovers travel interstate to play. In the end it’s probably going to be pretty haphazard, whichever teams have enough players and want to push through the difficulties of organising the game, will end up playing. In 16 weeks, I wouldn’t expect to see us playing more than 6-7 of these games. I suspect training, especially early in the week where the senior players are in recovery mode, might end up broken up a bit with the seniors doing less following a game and the reserves doing more contact and mini match simulation amongst themselves. Not ideal for development but there’s not a heap we can do about that
Sounds just like the VFL draw the last few years.

I did read somewhere clubs looking into that.

Still, not a guarantee to be a weekly thing like a proper VFL comp would be, and we all know practice games aren't the same as the real deal when points are on the line (even if VFL). You'd certainly want to be in the best 22 this season, even a bit more so than normal i reckon.

Would be a kinda interesting situation if they just end up playing each other basically every week.

Until JR said this , I hadnt considered Gibbons elite though. I take your point about his shortcomings, but when someone is elite in any aspect of the game- it gives them a role. I am not saying he is first picked every week, but having elite running ability gives us a distinct advantage particularly later in the game.
I cant help thinking though, that with the shortened quarters, clubs with quite a few elite runners (I think we can include CFC in that now) will be penalised a bit. We won a few games in 2019 by our ability to run out a game better than the opposition- and according to JR that has only gone up a notch.

Last edited:
Would be a kinda interesting situation if they just end up playing each other basically every week.
I could see it even getting to the juniors stage where if one team doesn't have enough players a couple might swap across.

14 a side. Not ideal. IIRC it was teague that said recently that the difference in the feel of the match play at training between an 18 v 18 mp versus a 16 v 16 was quite significant. If its further reduced to 14 then the players are going to be playing a totally different style of game (lots more holes and space to run into for example- sort of like TAC ) this would IMO develop non AFL bad habits

Remove this Banner Ad

Back